Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #1

390 Berk Tank Sanitizing

We just brought our new Berk home and are ecstatic!!!
Since it's new I allowed myself to be talked into a detergent / sanitizing chemical pack from Thetford, assuming manufacturing residue and a long sit since the tank and water system was tested. (sounded good anyway).

So I put the detergent in the tank per the instructions and proceeded to fill the tank prior to running it through the lines, only to have it start swelling when about 2/3 full from all the suds (#@!%$). Ran the solution thru the lines and fixtures and proceeded to drain the tank for refilling and flushing.

First problem is the incredibly long time it takes to drain the tank! I opened faucets and even removed a plug from the tank (near the top), with no improvement in the flow. I waited over 2 hours for the tank to drain just so I could rinse and do it again, and again.
Second issue was when I had to add the sanitizing agent and, you'll never guess, it's sudsy too! I managed to get one more drain and rinse in before calling it a night, but have one or two more to do.

Am I doing something wrong with the tank drain process? (besides buying this product in the first place - should have stuck to the tried and true bleach rinse). Regardless I still have probably 4-5 hours of filling and draining and just wondering if there is a way to speed up the drain process.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
*Coach was leveled and slightly higher on left side to aid drainage since the (abysmally small) petcock is on the right.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #2

I feel your pain! Sorry about the suds and slow process. You can use the water pump to help drain the tank faster. To the left of the pump is a water line with a two way valve. When it is closed, the pump sends water to the camper for use. When open, it pumps water out of the hose onto the ground. Turn your pump on and then open that valve and watch as the tank empties in about 30 minutes. Good luck.
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #3

Thanks for that tip! Is it okay to run the pump that long or should it be cycled to prevent overheating? (Nervous newbie)
Old 06-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

Its fine to run the pump that long. No issues as long as there is water going through it. Just don't walk away and get distracted and forget it is running. If it runs out of water and pumps nothing but air, thats when you'll ruin/break/overheat it.
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote