Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 01:16 AM   #1
'11 390BH

390BH basement slide mods

Hi all, Taking delivery of a 2011 390BH-40 after 13 years in the same gas powered class A "blender" (i'm still shaking from the last trip).

I'm wondering if I can swap the existing single 26x90" slide into the furthest aft compartment door area? and replace this single slider that is currently occupying the fwd double door area with a double width slide that is 52x90. Anyone have confirming measurements?? I am about 10 days away from taking delivery of her and would love to have on order for delivery while on the road.

Anyone seen or had this done, effectively turning all 6 basement doors into 2 large slide areas per side? The coach I'm buying, the guys stuff was organized - but inaccessible towards the middle of the span. Compared to my current coach this is several times the storage area, but everything in mine is accessible within 24" reach. Having it on slides could potentially make it easier for my father @73 y.o for his purposes also.
Thanks,
Hans
kohersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #2

Hans - I have a 2012 390BH-40 with a 52 x 90 slide. For the furthest aft bay, I measure 26" between the door's rubber seal's. I think that putting a 26" slide in there might be a problem.

I have a single 52" x90" slide and find it to be great. I find that the cargo areas without slide trays is useable for long items and items that are infrequently accessed. I am satisfied with my setup.

I would like to point out to you that the slide steals 3.5" of vertical space and is heavy. Although the MH has great storage volume capacity, the -40 does not have very much cargo weight carrying capacity. You should check this out by weighing the MH and also consider what you are towing. The 5,000lb hitch rating is not what you use. You use the GCWR rating (33,000lbs), which is limited by the tranny. Hope this helps you.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #3

Hans - Also welcome to the FR forum. It is fantastic and with great caring people.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
'11 390BH

Thanks!! Great info.
I've got some reading to do!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #5

390BH basement slide mods

I totally agree with what I-RV said with one addition. The slide does take up vertical headroom but also affords storage below the slide for things like 50amp extension cords, extra 25' of waterline, exterior living mat and stuff infrequently used but still needed.
Congrats on the purchase of the Berk, we have a 2014 390BH-60 and love it.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #6
'11 390BH

The weight capacity was something I was aware of and I would have preferred to find a -60, or even moreso an XL in my budget, but this one, everything was right about it to pass it up would have been a mistake.
The underneath storage is a great call! I have to remember that.

I guess when I get her its time to go to the scales right away just to know where she sits before i move in
Old 08-08-2015, 12:16 AM   #7

I have a single wide slide in my 2012 390BH60. I can honestly say that I have only pulled it out 3 or 4 times.

The slides themselves are very heavy and once you load them up, they are even heavier.

As mentioned above you will loose several inches of storage on the bottom side but more importantly you will loose about 10 inches of space on the top side if you every plan on sliding the tray out due to the fact that the central beam passes thru the middle of the compartment.

It is important to remember that even though the Berk has a lot of basement storage capacity, even the 60 can be easily maxxed out. Get in the habit of purging your storage before you travel. Only take what you need for that particular trip. Weigh the coach and be prepare to move basement contents to balance the coach. The Berk handles very well when fully loaded however a properly balanced load will greatly improve the ride and handling.

Congrats on making the leap from Gas to DP. I feel sure that you will find the power, handling and braking a great improvement. The Berk is our third class A. We will never go back to gasers
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:42 AM   #8
'11 390BH

Even more good input , thank you. I had neglected to consider the beams minimizing overhead space.

I wonder if your experience of seldom using the slide is common or uncommon?
I'm a pilot, weight and balance are important to me. And yes ive been wanting to make this jump to DP for years now, I've driven one and then had to do 6 hours in mine...I was even more over it,my gasser is a blender. This is great. Please keep it coming.

Tags
390bh, slide, modifications