Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
2023 Allegro Bus 45OPP

3rd Party Engine Monitor

I rode in a Dodge RAM truck this weekend that had the Cummins 6.7L diesel engine and it was equipped with a CTS2 advanced digital gauge cluster that was pretty cool. It hooked into OBDII port and I am thinking Freightliner uses a different protocol. Does anyone know if they use J1939 or J1708?

The only system that came up in my search was ScanGauge. Does anyone use something like this to get more information out of the ECM?
shepardmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepardmike View Post
I rode in a Dodge RAM truck this weekend that had the Cummins 6.7L diesel engine and it was equipped with a CTS2 advanced digital gauge cluster that was pretty cool. It hooked into OBDII port and I am thinking Freightliner uses a different protocol. Does anyone know if they use J1939 or J1708?

The only system that came up in my search was ScanGauge. Does anyone use something like this to get more information out of the ECM?
Probably the best way to answer this question would be by calling Freightliner at 1-800-FTL-Help.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #3

We took our first trip using our new Bluefire engine monitor. It plugs into the port and uses Bluetooth to send information to what ever devise you want which in our case is an iPad Air. It worked really well and I like that you can customize what info you want to see and what the gauges look like.
www.bluefire-llc.com
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
2023 Allegro Bus 45OPP

Follow up on Eric's post. I contacted FL and they provide a 9 pin - J1939 connector.
shepardmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:18 PM   #5

I've used the ScanGauge for several years on my 15 VW Jetta diesel. It serves its intent pretty well. One of my monitoring options is the exhaust temp gauge ... shows me when in regeneration cycle.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:30 AM   #6

I've also have the Scan Gauge in our coach. I use it to monitor the transmission fluid temp, intake air temp, water temp and boost pressure. It can also pull and display engine error codes.
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #7
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepardmike View Post
Follow up on Eric's post. I contacted FL and they provide a 9 pin - J1939 connector.
That is Awesome news, I figured they would be able to give you the answer and take the guessing out of it.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhjsh View Post
We took our first trip using our new Bluefire engine monitor. It plugs into the port and uses Bluetooth to send information to what ever devise you want which in our case is an iPad Air. It worked really well and I like that you can customize what info you want to see and what the gauges look like.
www.bluefire-llc.com
I checked it out on the site you mentioned. Really good information on the screens. Just the kind of things I feel I should be aware of. How much did it set you back?
Old 07-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #9

Silverleaf VMSpc

There is also the Silverleaf Electronics "VMSpc". You can configure it to display whatever you like. One of the things that this monitor does (and maybe some other brands as well) is decode the Check Engine light into descriptions of the problem. Had mine for about 3 years now and it works just great.
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote