Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #1

4K tv above av cabinet

So I just hooked up a 4K Sony TV to replace the TV above my AV cabinet and it will not get any signal through the cat5 selector box and adaptor on tv. Just no signal. But run a real hdmi from DVD to tv and picture perfect. Anyone run into this? I think my best option is to get a hdmi splitter and run new cable to tv. As much that selector box is nice and a pain in the butt at the same time I'm sort of thinking I want to find a solution that keeps the selector function available. My rig is a 2014 490bh60 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1484414476.388630.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	128004

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #2

Thanks for any thoughts or what you did...!

Old 01-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #3

This probably isn't much help but I got ride if all that crap. Mine is a 2011 and the switch box is the old rca type. What I did was get DIrect TV and 3 wireless boxes. One in the bedroom one in the basement and one outside in our tiki hut. It works great and I have replay the TV's. All are 4 K and smart.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

I don't know much about your setup, but just don't skimp on the cables.
There are cheap quality HDMI and cat5 cables. What may work for a while doesn't mean it will work forever. Found out the hard way. HDMI cable that worked with 1080p would not work for 4k when I upgraded.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
happy_camper

Gee Phil57, I thought we had it good out here in the winter in Arizona to have a full size washer and dryer in our shed!!
wwachsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #6

I purchased a 4K TV for my home a few months ago. We have Direct TV and a technician had to come out to the house to install a 4K compatible box and to adjust the TV settings. Unless you have a very expensive portable HD Direct TV antenna for your RV, I don't see how you can get 4K channels. Also. You can't get true 4k pictures from DVDs unless you have a 4k DVD player. Am I wrong?
TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Allison/Duramax Diesel 4WD
TT - 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2618
Texbahrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:58 PM   #7

Not sure but can't even down sample tv to get a lesser image resolution. I will just spilt feed from DVD for now. New switch box with 4K over cat 5/6 is too much cash...!

Old 01-16-2017, 04:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbahrs View Post
I purchased a 4K TV for my home a few months ago. We have Direct TV and a technician had to come out to the house to install a 4K compatible box and to adjust the TV settings. Unless you have a very expensive portable HD Direct TV antenna for your RV, I don't see how you can get 4K channels. Also. You can't get true 4k pictures from DVDs unless you have a 4k DVD player. Am I wrong?

You're correct. It all depends on how much you want to spend to get hardly anything. There is not much 4K content out there.

With satellite, either DTV or Dish, To get 4K content you need an upgraded dish or LNB on the dish, upgraded equipment between the dish and receivers, and either the 4K Genies with DTV, or Hopper3 and 4KJoeys with Dish in addition to the 4K TV. You will not find a 4K capable automatic aligning dish such as the Winegards, Tailgaters, etc yet if ever. You would need to go to a manual tripod mount. With DirectTV good luck having them activate a 4K system if you bought the components and installed them yourself, they're adamant about their 4K stuff only being installed and activated by certified installers from what I was told.

In addition to what I mention above is if your at a park with cable and they are 4K capable that is an option, but you would need 4K equipment specific to that cable provider. Then there is always streaming content from Netflix, Amazon etc. You had better have one heck of an internet connection though, and lots of bandwidth, because 4K requires roughly 4X the bandwidth of standard HD. Good luck getting that at any RV park or through a phone, hotspot, aircard etc. A 4K capable DVD is an option if you want to buy 4K DVD's at around $20 or more a pop.

DTV has 3 channels doing 4K and the content is limited, along with on demand type of stuff. Dish will soon be the same, last I looked into it they were limited to their on demand type of programming. IMO the end does not justify the means. It may one day but who knows when? 3D TV went over well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcowles3 View Post
So I just hooked up a 4K Sony TV to replace the TV above my AV cabinet and it will not get any signal through the cat5 selector box and adaptor on tv. Just no signal. But run a real hdmi from DVD to tv and picture perfect. Anyone run into this? I think my best option is to get a hdmi splitter and run new cable to tv. As much that selector box is nice and a pain in the butt at the same time I'm sort of thinking I want to find a solution that keeps the selector function available. My rig is a 2014 490bh60 Attachment 128004
Just guessing but your "HDMI" matrix switch is a low quality piece as these manufacturers use nothing other and is incompatible with your new Sony's HDMI version. It sounds like you have already found out what a true high quality switch costs? Not exactly cheap.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote