Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #1

7500 Diesel Generator want start

I have a 7500 Onan Diesel Gen. it want start, it has a code 36 coming up. I just had it service, it was working before the service.
The oil level is not under or over the mark. taking the line off and it is getting fuel to the fuel filter, air filter is new and the oil is new. I need help please. Thanks Bill
bcullifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #2

googled it:

Onan Generator Error Code 36 ~ Fuel Pump & Filter Removal ~ S3E16

So you can test to see if pump is getting fuel to carb.
Be a start..

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #3

you'll have to define what you mean by 'it won't start'....

what exactly are you doing to 'start' it...
how long are you holding down the start switch, what is happening when you do, is the priming happening, is it trying to crank over, etc., etc.,....
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #4

Check the on/off switch on the generator itself. I had some maintenance last year & the service people turned the on/off switch off while working but did not turn it back on.
Chester Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
you'll have to define what you mean by 'it won't start'....

what exactly are you doing to 'start' it...
how long are you holding down the start switch, what is happening when you do, is the priming happening, is it trying to crank over, etc., etc.,....
It will just turn over, I have held down the prime button for 1 minute and then tried to start it with No luck, it doesn't sound like it even want to try to start.. I have taken off both lines to fuel filter to see if I was getting fuel and that's good. I went behind the Gen and taken off the in and out line to make sure fuel is getting to gen. from gas tank as well. I don't know were to go next.
Thanks
Old 06-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

So...
Quote:
I just had it service, it was working before the service.
... is there a reason not to go straight back to the service center and have them look at it? ... or at least call them?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:05 AM   #7

One idea is that the house battery bank may be low, not giving the generator enough 'ooompphhh' to get it going(low voltage)... Do you have an 'AUX' or 'Emergency Start' switch on the dash?

Sometimes my generator starting, after sitting for a long time, may take a little extra help from the Chassis batteries to get it going quickly. I hold down my 'AUX' switch, tying the two battery banks together, while also holding down the 'GENERATOR START' switch, to then more easily crank over the generator........ but, I ALSO keep holding the 'AUX' switch for several seconds after cranking just to make sure the generator CONTINUES running.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #8

Our previous coach had an Onan 5500 "Quiet" diesel. Only problem ever starting it was when house battery was too low. It would turn over just fine but I guess the battery voltage was too low to also run the glow plugs. Had to use the emergency start on the dash to get it started then everything was fine. It seems to me that we were getting a 36 code but that was many years ago.
I don't remember the voltage when it wouldn't start but I do remember that it dropped way below 12 volts while cranking.
I looked into putting in a separate starting battery for the generator and connecting an Amp-L-Start to recharge it but we traded before that project rolled up on the list. And just pushing the emergency start switch was a lot cheaper!!!

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #9

I found out the problem.it was a wire that came lose from the governor.

Tags
500, diesel, generator