Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2022, 02:11 PM   #1

A/C volume of air from ceiling

I have a 2018 Berk 39A, here lately it seems as though the ceiling air registers in the bedroom ( 4 ) arenít blowing as much air out of them as they used to, and definitely donít blow as much as the front part of the coach. Anyone have success possibly locating any obstructions in the air system?? ( with the hot temps- trying to get maximum a/c operation )
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #2

Step 1. Measure with a meat thermometer the nearest vent temp. Should be 20 degrees below the air temp. If not, likely the rooftop unit might need a clean up. You are sort of at that age.

If it is ok then try readjusting the vents to get a better balance.

After that, it is anybody's guess. Usually obstructions show up the first year.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:59 PM   #3

Itís not a temperature issue, itís an air volume issue only in the bedroom. The air blowing out is cold air, just weak on volume compared to the front 1/2 of the coach.
Old 07-16-2022, 07:38 PM   #4

AC volume

See any styrofoam on the floor? Sometimes I've found bits as if the insulation is blocking the duct. I want to track this problem, keep us updated please.
Trappfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:10 PM   #5
clr

all the air in the rv must go thru a 14 inch my 14 inch whole in the roof. Half is used for the return air and half is used for the cold air. I would make sure the there is no leaks from one side to the other and that the baffle is in the correct position. Many time the baffle has been moved to the romex power wire or something is causing air leakage. This link is a very good trouble shooting tool, although this may not be your exact model the principle is the same.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
all the air in the rv must go thru a 14 inch my 14 inch whole in the roof. Half is used for the return air and half is used for the cold air. I would make sure the there is no leaks from one side to the other and that the baffle is in the correct position. Many time the baffle has been moved to the romex power wire or something is causing air leakage. This link is a very good trouble shooting tool, although this may not be your exact model the principle is the same.

Great info, I wish I had this access from the inside of the coach, only thing I know to do to gain that kind of access to inspect is to lift the A/C unit from the rooftop. Camping, no shade, temps are 100í and hotter for over a week.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
I have a 2018 Berk 39A, here lately it seems as though the ceiling air registers in the bedroom ( 4 ) arenít blowing as much air out of them as they used to, and definitely donít blow as much as the front part of the coach. Anyone have success possibly locating any obstructions in the air system?? ( with the hot temps- trying to get maximum a/c operation )

i also have a 2018 39a, this last trip the front AC is not blowing as hard as it use to. I havenít changed anything
just all of the sudden no air volume
rdonihoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #8

1) air filters need changing

2) coils may need cleaning
they sell coil cleaning foam for air conditioner coils
Hardware and some a/c supply stores

take time to inspect the coils make sure fins are not damage or BENT

all air conditioners house / car / boat / RV need regular cleaning and maintenance.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:50 PM   #9

I had almost no air coming out of my Dometic 13.5 K AC unit even though the little air that was coming out was cool. Technician inspected the AC unit and said the motor was hot and needed replacement.
Dometic replaced the fan motor under warranty but still no air. Turned out the fan side of the capacitor was burnt out. Change the capacitor and everything worked as normal.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
1) air filters need changing

2) coils may need cleaning
they sell coil cleaning foam for air conditioner coils
Hardware and some a/c supply stores

take time to inspect the coils make sure fins are not damage or BENT

all air conditioners house / car / boat / RV need regular cleaning and maintenance.

The return air filters??
Old 07-17-2022, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
I had almost no air coming out of my Dometic 13.5 K AC unit even though the little air that was coming out was cool. Technician inspected the AC unit and said the motor was hot and needed replacement.
Dometic replaced the fan motor under warranty but still no air. Turned out the fan side of the capacitor was burnt out. Change the capacitor and everything worked as normal.

I will pick one up and replace it and see if that does anything, thatís easy enough to do! Thanks for the info
Old 07-17-2022, 08:47 PM   #12

We have a 2018 38A Berkshire - As an aside, for $99 we mailed our PrecisionPlex screen to the company. They upgraded it to the 2019 software, which gives you separate control for the blower over the bed vs the group of small vents. You can select either one or set it on auto and get all at one time. Really worth it. The big issue is that it allows you to individually turn off the over-the-bed blower which gets rid of the horrible “cold heat” problem in the winter.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
We have a 2018 38A Berkshire - As an aside, for $99 we mailed our PrecisionPlex screen to the company. They upgraded it to the 2019 software, which gives you separate control for the blower over the bed vs the group of small vents. You can select either one or set it on auto and get all at one time. Really worth it. The big issue is that it allows you to individually turn off the over-the-bed blower which gets rid of the horrible ďcold heatĒ problem in the winter.

Thanks! After this week - I may pull the plex screen and mail it off, been meaning to do that for the last year!! Thanks for the info!
Old 07-18-2022, 03:16 PM   #14

AC low volume

This was about low volume from a ducted air conditioning system.
How did we wind up at Precision Plex ??
This train has left the rails.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappfarmer View Post
This was about low volume from a ducted air conditioning system.
How did we wind up at Precision Plex ??
This train has left the rails.
The thread was about airflow. The PrecisionPlex controls the various fans and blowers that can significantly affect airflow.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:06 PM   #16

if it worked good beforehand ... it just needs cleaning and servicing
Old 07-20-2022, 08:01 PM   #17

Wash it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
I will pick one up and replace it and see if that does anything, thatís easy enough to do! Thanks for the info
On both of our trailers the "filter" is just a sheet of 1/4" open-cell foam. Wash it in the sink with a little dishwashing detergent, rinse well, let it dry, and re-install. No need to buy anything.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:19 PM   #18

A/C volume of air from ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
if it worked good beforehand ... it just needs cleaning and servicing

not if the rear A/C units capacitor is bad on the fan circuit, that would mean I only have 1 blower fan ( the front ) moving air in the ceiling, which seems like what is happening. Iíve had the covers off about 3 months ago and inspected, they do not need to be cleaned at this time.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
On both of our trailers the "filter" is just a sheet of 1/4" open-cell foam. Wash it in the sink with a little dishwashing detergent, rinse well, let it dry, and re-install. No need to buy anything.

Ok, so I took the return filters and covers off altogether several days ago and made no difference, filters arenít the issue. There is a low air volume issue, like the rear A/C units blower isnít working. Iíll figure it out.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:18 AM   #20

AC flow

I ran the air conditioning systems the other day. Our 2020 40E has three. It is still blowing styrofoam. Chunks were spewing out of the aft vents and I found styrofoam bits on the top of the mattress above the cockpit.
I have an anemometer that measures volume ant the vents. The amount of volume varied widely throughout the coach. This was with all three units had blowers set to HIGH. Some had high air volume and several measured near zero.. I bought a 16.5 ft. Flexible inspection camera that will be here Friday. Itís noteworthy that the air exiting the vent is cold. (anemometer reads temperature as well) exit temperature was around 65f . This was when outside air temperature was around 90-100 degrees f.
Will risk cracking vent louvers in the coming weekend. Will post results then.