Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #1

aarrgh.. propane regulator leaking

so i go to get the rv from the storage yard so i can work on a few minor issues (dead bolt on the door, mount some key holders, etc) and when i walk around the rv, i hear a hissing from the propane compartment.

i shut down the valve and the hissing stopped. i turn it back on and the hissing starts up again. so i shut it down and bring the rv home.

the hissing was under the white plastic box cover which i removed and found the 2 stage high pressure regulator.

when i turned the propane back on, the hissing started and i can see it is leaking propane out the vent at the bottom of the regulator. i also noticed the 2nd stage screw in the center was loose. so i turned off the propane and tightened the screw down to snug. turned the propane back and the hissing still happens with no change.

i think i have a bad regulator. too much of a hassle to get the dealer to fix this in less than 1 week. it'll take that long to get an appointment i think since i can't call till monday. was thinking of just spending the $20 tomorrow and doing it myself...

anything else i should check to make sure it's just not the regulator? is there a check valve somewhere that could have gone bad or anything else that could have caused a nearly new regulator to go bad?

thanks gang
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #2

Had the same issue on my 2013 390RB-60 about a month ago. Don't know of any tests but when I ordered a direct replacement from PPL motorhomes I purchased two so I could have a spare. Hearing you had the problem too I'm glad I got an extra.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #3

I just had the same thing on my Sunseeker. Replaced the regulator myself yesterday.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #4

is this an item that is frequently replaced? i always thought they were supposed to last a long time? this is a MAJOR safety concern... propane constantly leaking out and you would really never now since its such a low sounding hissing noise.

camping world by me did not have a horizontal two stage regulator. they only had a mr heater brand vertical two stage for ~$30. tried to call several other rv parts and service places nearby. they are all closed. not because it's father's day today, but because it's sunday... is the stigma in the rv industry that owners do not work on their own rigs hence they don't really need to be opened on the weekends? this is frustrating...

so i just ordered a camco unit from amazon for ~$21 shipped and it'll be here on tuesday. gotta love amazon prime!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

update: i got my parts in from amazon. 1 day turn around. man that was crazy fast... faster than my dealer's service depart can return a call!

picked up a tube of thread sealant from home depot. just need some time to go to the rv and install the new regulator now... may not be till wednesday as i have to travel for work tomorrow
Old 06-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #6

finally had some free time today. replaced the old regulator with the ~$20 camco unit i got from amazon. took a little less than 20 minutes to do. no more hissing and all appliances work like normal.

can't believe the other one died so quickly... wonder if there is a recall from that manufacturer on that unit?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
finally had some free time today. replaced the old regulator with the ~$20 camco unit i got from amazon. took a little less than 20 minutes to do. no more hissing and all appliances work like normal.

can't believe the other one died so quickly... wonder if there is a recall from that manufacturer on that unit?
It sounds as though the diaphragm failed, usually cracked, and although it happens should not become a routine. Maybe good to report the fault to the manf. they use the info for quality control. No one wants a shed full of propane! Believe its not repairable.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #8

Kind of scary to think about. This happened with my BBQ at home about a year ago. I went to the local propane and propane accessory store (not Strickland Propane) and spoke with somebody that has worked in the industry for a while. She told me that these regulators are mass produced and do have quality control issues. If they fail, it is usually within a couple of months of use. I got another regulator and it has worked without a hitch ever since. I am considering an LP detector for my tank storage compartment - if I can't hear the hissing, I might be able to hear the beeping.

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #9

I just had the exact same problem on my new 2013 2860. It appears to be a little too common.
jwalsh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #10

Just had same problem repaired at dealer last week. Ours had been leaking for a week and we lost about 1/2 tank propane during time we were stored, luckily with no refrigerator on which would have used flame!! Defective regulator was to blame only 3K miles on our '13 Berk!

Buzz
rvdrmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #11

First trip leaking regulator?

This is our first trip in our 2013 Sunseeker and all our propane is gone and we hear a hissing noise when we turn on the gas. My husband tried to locate leak with sudsy water to no avail. Thank God our gas detector worked and woke us up. It seems odd that regulator could already be bad. I find this quite discouraging
MarkandSandyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #12

Well lets chalk up another propane regulator that has bit the dust.

Just picked up my 2012 Berkshire from the dealer I had doing some work on the coach for me. I found the hissing regulator when I got to my storage location. I was walking around the coach checking compartments to make sure they were secure. Smelled propane at the front of the coach and then heard the hissing as I got by the left front wheel.

I turned off the supply valve and the hissing stopped. Left it off and will order a replacement.

Does anyone know the part number or if another regulator from Amazon or Camping World is a direct fit replacement?
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #13

On Amazon search "Camco 59323 RV regulator"

You may also find a replacement in big box hardware stores in the lawn and garden area (for propane grills). I found one at Menard's. Get a can of pipe sealant (for gas lines). A couple of wrenches and about 15 minutes will get you going again.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #14

Had mine replaced already for the same problem in my '14 Berk with less than 3000 miles. Dealer replacement under warranty when I was having it winterized.
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #15

I'm on my 3rd regulator. This time I purchased one like the original and a similar one made by Camco. If I blow the one that is currently installed I plan to try the Camco. Hope it's a better product!

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #16

I did the replacement today after ordering the Camco 59323 RV regulator from Amazon. Since this part seems to fail more often than you would think I decided to order two. I ordered the second one to keep as a spare for future use either for myself or a fellow camper if theirs fails.

Took about 15 minutes, at the most, and that included mixing up the soap and water and performing the leak test. The Camco regulator is a direct fit.

I took both natural gas / propane tape and natural gas / propane thread sealant for the install. I decided to try the Natural Gas / Propane tape (less mess) to seal the threads and it worked great. No leaks!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote