Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2021, 08:55 PM   #1

AC condenser fan cycling on and off

Drove my 2021 Berkshire 34B the other day and the AC condenser fan kept cycling on and off. It would turn on every 45 seconds and shut of after 30 seconds. It didn't matter if I was idling or at freeway speed, it cycled on and off like clockwork. While at idle, the RPM jumped up from 800 to 1200 RPMs until I stepped on the break and it would drop back down to 800, them back up to 1200 when the fan kicked on again. I called Freightliner and the person who answered the phone was not sure if this was a regular cycling or not. Has anyone else had this problem? I did have the AC on and didn't think to turn it off as I didn't know what the fan was for at the time. Next time I take it out I will turn off the Ac and see if it still happens.
Fyrmdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:25 AM   #2

I am not sure about the condenser fan cycling as I haven't paid close attention to it. However, our Berk will go to high idle (1200 rpm) when the dash A/C is on just as you describe. If you turn the A/C off, it won't go into high idle like that unless you manually set it using the cruise control.
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrmdk View Post
Drove my 2021 Berkshire 34B the other day and the AC condenser fan kept cycling on and off. It would turn on every 45 seconds and shut of after 30 seconds. It didn't matter if I was idling or at freeway speed, it cycled on and off like clockwork. While at idle, the RPM jumped up from 800 to 1200 RPMs until I stepped on the break and it would drop back down to 800, them back up to 1200 when the fan kicked on again. I called Freightliner and the person who answered the phone was not sure if this was a regular cycling or not. Has anyone else had this problem? I did have the AC on and didn't think to turn it off as I didn't know what the fan was for at the time. Next time I take it out I will turn off the Ac and see if it still happens.
Are you talking about the dash AC?
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #4

Yes
Old 10-24-2021, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrmdk View Post
Mine does exact same thing. 2019 37a xl. Cools good though. Notice the cycling changes some depending on outside ambient temp. The idle change when dash air is on is normal.
Mbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #6

Ya. Sounds to be pretty normal. I am concerned about fan wearing out or maybe a bad temp sensor or something like that. I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:59 AM   #7

AC condenser fan cycling on and off

Could be the cold control T-stat is touching the evaporator. It’s a small capillary tube on top of the black plenum on the generator side of the dash.

The plenum on my 2013 is labeled Evans Tempcon

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan