Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #1

Adding 3rd AC unit to 2014 Berkshire

Hello everyone.
I'm looking to add a 3rd (quieter) AC unit to my 2014 Berkshire 400BH. I live in Austin and we have some pretty intense, humid summers and the 2 (15K BTU) units are simply not cutting it for me.

I've seen some 'old' threads on adding an AC unit to the vent space in the Kitchen area but I'd like to know if there is any new input on the topic.

- Has anyone put a 3rd unit in that location successfully?
- Is there any issue tapping into power and can the coach handle the add on?
- Any recommendation on units that offer a strong cooling function but also quiet?

Thanks.

Brandon
DeepEddyVodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
I have followed a few threads on it but have not read of anyone getting it done yet.
Do it and let us know how it works out.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

Instead of adding a roof top one, now this might sound a bit redneck but hear me out. Get one of those floor/window ones and put it somewhere out of the way. Then run an extension out through the slides gap at the bottom of the slide and plug it directly into the pedestal so you don't have to upgrade all the electrical.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #4

Redneck....
Old 06-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #5

Brandon,
Be sure you ask about the installation before proceeding. About 2 years ago I thought about doing the same on our 2011. I contacted FR and their recommendation was not to make the installation due to the lack of structure around the vent.
cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #6

Do you have a OUTSIDE sun shade on the windshield and side windows. Also do you have sunshade in the slide windows as well as awnings? I found all these are key to cooling your MH. You have two 15000 a/c so you already are ahead of most of us. Adding a third sounds good but make sure they will all run at the same time on the 50amp power you have.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #7

Also a warm welcome to the forum.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepEddyVodka View Post
Hello everyone.
I'm looking to add a 3rd (quieter) AC unit to my 2014 Berkshire 400BH. I live in Austin and we have some pretty intense, humid summers and the 2 (15K BTU) units are simply not cutting it for me. I've seen some 'old' threads on adding an AC unit to the vent space in the Kitchen area but I'd like to know if there is any new input on the topic.- Has anyone put a 3rd unit in that location successfully?- Is there any issue tapping into power and can the coach handle the add on? - Any recommendation on units that offer a strong cooling function but also quiet?
Thanks.Brandon
=======================

Two 15K A.C. units are equivalent to a 2.5 Ton home Air Conditioner. Should be plenty of cold air for your Birkshire. I would first have those A.C. units checked out by a technician. They may be low on Freon.
Good luck,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #9

If you are in hot weather they don't come close to cooling the Berkshire. Our's have a 23 degree differential which is good. When we were in Tuscan the air temp was 108 and we didn't get below 95 inside until 10 at night. The a/c units just can't keep up.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
If you are in hot weather they don't come close to cooling the Berkshire. Our's have a 23 degree differential which is good. When we were in Tuscan the air temp was 108 and we didn't get below 95 inside until 10 at night. The a/c units just can't keep up.

Just curious as to what size A/C units you have. Do you use any sun shades and or awnings. 108 is hot and no comparison to what I have encountered but we have had 95 and very humid with the 13.5 A/C hold the MH to low mid 70's. I almost always get a twenty degree drop. Of course the sun is so much more intense. I have a sun shade or awning on every window. The last thing I need to do is paint the skylight in the shower. There was a post about doing that and I haven't gotten around to it. The guy that posted it used a rattle can white paint used to paint plastic. I get a lot of heat coming in that skylight.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #11

We also have smoke colored covers on all the vents. That seems to help also.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #12

Keeping the bathroom door shut helps with the heat coming in through the skylight and fan.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Also a warm welcome to the forum.

I see what you did there.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Instead of adding a roof top one, now this might sound a bit redneck but hear me out. Get one of those floor/window ones and put it somewhere out of the way. Then run an extension out through the slides gap at the bottom of the slide and plug it directly into the pedestal so you don't have to upgrade all the electrical.
I believe that in an RV park, when the have 50/30/20 amps available that does not mean you can run 100 amps. I believe that they are all on the same circuit feeding the pedestal. You could run the extension cord to a nearby site that is not occupied and use for power.

Someone with more knowledge than me might chime in here.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
I see what you did there.

Thanks Dan I thought everyone missed it.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Just curious as to what size A/C units you have. Do you use any sun shades and or awnings. 108 is hot and no comparison to what I have encountered but we have had 95 and very humid with the 13.5 A/C hold the MH to low mid 70's. I almost always get a twenty degree drop. Of course the sun is so much more intense. I have a sun shade or awning on every window. The last thing I need to do is paint the skylight in the shower. There was a post about doing that and I haven't gotten around to it. The guy that posted it used a rattle can white paint used to paint plastic. I get a lot of heat coming in that skylight.
The front is 15 the rear is 13.5 no outside shades. I've thought about adding a swamp cooler since the air is dry out here.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #17

Shade makes a huge difference. Water mist on roof could help too
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #18

Outside shades will lower the temp more than anything you do.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Outside shades will lower the temp more than anything you do.
This is a true fact. It makes much more different than people can fathom. I was in the solar screen business for several years . that's where we got our retirement money.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #20

adding a 3rd a/c?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepEddyVodka View Post
Hello everyone.
I'm looking to add a 3rd (quieter) AC unit to my 2014 Berkshire 400BH. I live in Austin and we have some pretty intense, humid summers and the 2 (15K BTU) units are simply not cutting it for me.

I've seen some 'old' threads on adding an AC unit to the vent space in the Kitchen area but I'd like to know if there is any new input on the topic.

- Has anyone put a 3rd unit in that location successfully?
- Is there any issue tapping into power and can the coach handle the add on?
- Any recommendation on units that offer a strong cooling function but also quiet?

Thanks.

Brandon
Brandon I would check a few things before you go forward with this project;
1) have the a/c units checked by a qualified tech, may not be working properly
2) If you do look to going forward with adding 3rd a/c unit, make sure the vent location has enough structure around it to support the a/c unit?
3) before you look to adding a third unit maybe have the units you have now upgraded, there are what is called "commercial" units that are better in many ways this be a good solution also with out having to worry about adding a third (structure, power needs, and more)
4) see if having outside window shades might help with your issue

Hope some of this helps and stay cool if you can "hot in Texas" and Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, berkshire