Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
Adding a Motorcycle Lift & Jeep 4D Wrangler on a 340HP

So I am thinking about getting a Motorcycle lift to add to our 2011 390BH. Anyone added one? Got any thoughts, advice or pointers? We have a Harley Davidson Road King and are looking to but a 2011 Jeep Rubicon 4D, Auto (About 4000lbs) as our tow vehicle so ideally wanted the best of both of worlds on our Rig. Harley, Car and Bikes for the Kids on the Jeep. We have a 340HP on our Berk so I wondering of adding the full 5000 when all said and done is going to cause us to take the California Grapevine at 10 MPH going up the hills. LOL!!

Love any thought from anyone who added a bike lift to the Rig or who pull a 4D Jeep with the smaller of the 2 Berk engines.
doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #2

Sounds like to much weight.
billygo3251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #3

isn't there a thread about the 340hp models extremely limited on gcvwr and ccc?
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormdj View Post
So I am thinking about getting a Motorcycle lift to add to our 2011 390BH. Anyone added one? Got any thoughts, advice or pointers? We have a Harley Davidson Road King and are looking to but a 2011 Jeep Rubicon 4D, Auto (About 4000lbs) as our tow vehicle so ideally wanted the best of both of worlds on our Rig. Harley, Car and Bikes for the Kids on the Jeep. We have a 340HP on our Berk so I wondering of adding the full 5000 when all said and done is going to cause us to take the California Grapevine at 10 MPH going up the hills. LOL!!

Love any thought from anyone who added a bike lift to the Rig or who pull a 4D Jeep with the smaller of the 2 Berk engines.
First weigh you rig as currently outfitted. Fuel and propane full, every thing else empty. OR if you plan to boondock the FW, GW and BW should be probably be full as well. I would have the entire family on board too.

Take that weight and subtract it from 27910 (the combined front and rear axle weight limits). Finally your total weight of coach and toad cannot exceed 33K lbs.

Now, I'd bet a lot of $$$ you're going to be VERY surprised at how over weight you'd be. The 2011 340 Berk is extremely "anemic" in it's load carrying capacity.

IMO, that much extra weight on the rear axle (a Harley weighs what?? 700-800 lbs??) your poor Berky may just about collapse!! I hope I'm wrong.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #5

Go to Blue Ox web site, they have a formula to compute the weight you'll be putting on the rear axle of your MH by adding a motorcycle lift and motorcycle. You'll be surprise about how much weight you'll be adding to your rear axle. Even a 700lb bike, and the weight of the lift can add up to 20000lbs to the rear axle due to the distance between the rear axle and the lift. It's like taking a lever and pushing down on the rear of the MH your weight is multiplied.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #6

Get a small lightweight pickup truck to use as a toad and put the bike in the back of it?
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
All wise and great thoughts. Thanks a million. Just made up my mind to say "No" on the Harley lift. The fear factor is big enough. I suppose we'll just have to pull the Harley on a trailer or the Jeep when we want to ride. :-(

Still thinking about the 4Door Jeep Rubicon as a Tow vehicle though... without the Bike. Any thoughts on that? We have a family of 5 and a dog so need the room and we like the look of the Rubicon as a fun off road truck to play with.
doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote