Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

air chuck in generator compartment

Howdy folks
Total newbie just completed our maiden voyage in our 2014 Berkshire 36QL. My question is this....in the generator compartment I see what looks like an air chuck, I was wondering if that could be used to air up the tires, if I got an air hose?
Thanks in advance
Jeff
deppitydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #2

You could but you're better off buying a compressor that goes up to 125psi. You need a gauge on the line and you will see it cycling to below what you want for your tire pressures(pain in the butt).
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:28 PM   #3

I just used mine to top off a couple tires today. It takes a while.
You need to let the compressor run till it turns off to have the highest pressure.
When the pressure gets too low, it may let air out of the tire.
Pump the brakes a few times to start the compressor again, then put some more air in.
Fortunately I don't have to add air too often.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

I use mine all the time to air up my tires. I should say I use it everything I need to air them up bloke Dan said its not often.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #5

I found that air chuck useless for under inflated tires. I watched a YouTube video from RVGeeks on the VIAIR 12 volt compressor. I was so impressed I bought one, the total kit. Not cheap by any means but works like a champ. JMO
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

Paulie did you have the MH running? I find as long as I keep the compressor running I can pump easily to 120 lbs. I wonder why they don't work the same. Several people on IRV2 said theirs was not able to air up a low tire also.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #7

Mine cycles between 95lbs and 120lbs.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Paulie did you have the MH running? I find as long as I keep the compressor running I can pump easily to 120 lbs. I wonder why they don't work the same. Several people on IRV2 said theirs was not able to air up a low tire also.

I did have engine on it took 45 minutes to gain 15# increase in the pressure.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #9

Wow I've never had that happen. I'd be looking for a compressor also.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:21 PM   #10

We full time so space is limited. I hate to carry anything I don't absolutely need.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #11

I'll take picture of my setup with the gauge at the end of the hose so you can watch the pressure drop and wait for it to be above what you want in your tire. When it drops to the same point as the pressure in the tire I pull the chuck and vent it until the compressor kicks in.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
I found that air chuck useless for under inflated tires. I watched a YouTube video from RVGeeks on the VIAIR 12 volt compressor. I was so impressed I bought one, the total kit. Not cheap by any means but works like a champ. JMO
X2
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #13

Although not exactly the same I use one similar to this.
It locks onto the vavle stem so yo don't have to hold it on.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #14

Quote:
We full time so space is limited. I hate to carry anything I don't absolutely need.

We full time also. It is a compact unit with 50 ft of hose, plenty of cord length to attach to the battery, and a filler with gauge and optional valve stem attachments. You should check it out.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
We full time also. It is a compact unit with 50 ft of hose, plenty of cord length to attach to the battery, and a filler with gauge and optional valve stem attachments. You should check it out.

I will thanks.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Although not exactly the same I use one similar to this.
It locks onto the vavle stem so yo don't have to hold it on.

I have one just like that Dan. I have two valves stems that face in and after fighting with it I finally bought the one I wanted to begin with. I always do that.
Milton S506 Dual Head Inflator Gauge with 12" Air Hose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRL20..._7QKSvbYRH94GR

Old 07-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #17

Deppity, if it's not clear from this thread, Yes, you can do it. The challenge is the compressor doesn't kick on until pressure drops below a threshold and that threshold is typically lower than the tire pressure you're trying to obtain. Not exact numbers but to illustrate, the compressor may stop at 120psi, but not kick back on until pressure drops below 90. If current tank pressure is 100 and you're trying to get your front tires to 110, you will put the chuck on the tire and air will actually leave the tire. So, you have to cycle the air compressor by releasing air until the compressor kicks on and then add air to tire only when pressure is greater in the tank than the tire.

Whew.

I'm going to refer you to another thread on tire pressure. Optimum pressure is based on the tires on your rig and the weight of your rig fully loaded. I usually inflate my rear tires to 102 and fronts to 113. I might go 115 on the fronts, but using the bus compressor that's about as high as I can get. The rears are a lot easier.

TIRE MATH THREAD: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...h-64296-2.html

I'll be glad to help you work through this for your rig if you like.

Here's RV Geek's video showing gauge and valve:

Finally, I'm a big fan of this air hose: 3/8 in. x 50 ft. Hybrid Air Hose-575-50A-HOM - The Home Depot It's lightweight and coils effortlessly.

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #18

Paulie what model did you buy?

Old 07-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #19

Quote:

So Phil...... Do you have a fixed "stash" of items in a storage locker in some part of the country??

Or did you "cut the cord" entirely?

We got rid of everything; no furniture storage; nothing. If we own it, it's in our coach.

Really COMMITTED!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #20

I've mentioned this before but it is (IMHO) worth repeating:

When connecting/disconnecting the hose from that chuck, have a really good grip on the hose. 125 lbs of pressure will blow that hose out of there like a 12G shotgun.

If not gripped tightly, I believe you could easily loose some teeth, major eye damage or something else equally bad.

Just re-iterating the warning. Hang on tight.

boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator