Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #1

Air conditioner, Genny and driving

Is there any down side to running the generator while operating down the road so you can run the coach air conditioner(s) for cooling ?

Thanks
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

I run mine 90% of the time while traveling. Keeps the coach cool in the summer so when we get to the campground there's no waiting period to cool off. Also the generator uses less fuel then running your dash air (so I hear anyway) so I never use the dash air and always run the genny and AC's

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
I run mine 90% of the time while traveling. Keeps the coach cool in the summer so when we get to the campground there's no waiting period to cool off. Also the generator uses less fuel then running your dash air (so I hear anyway) so I never use the dash air and always run the genny and AC's

Jason
Very skeptical about answer #2, most all power take off loads are much more efficient than another machine with all inherent support systems ie fuel, air, cooling etc.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

I do it most time while traveling, plus I have my dash air on.

Like JTN8 said, it's been mentioned that the genny will burn less fuel than the dash air, but ehhhh. No data has ever been posted on it.

In addition, it gives the gen some run time with a load on it. Which should be done at least once a month to keep things running right.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Very skeptical about answer #2, most all power take off loads are much more efficient than another machine with all inherent support systems ie fuel, air, cooling etc.

Honestly not sure what my MPG would be with the dash air on since I never use it and always have the genny running with my AC's. I do know that without the dash air and towing my SRX, I get 10.5 to 11.5 MPG steady. And I know that with both AC's running which is much less than 1/2 load on my genny, I only burn about 1/3 of a gallon on the genny (avg). But I would think that the load of the dash air would affect my MPG enough where I would use more than 1/3 of a gallon every hour. Think it really depends on how much of a load the dash air takes on the engine and fuel economy but if my math is correct it all averages out the same in fuel but I have less load on the engine and I keep the entire coach cool and running with the genny.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Is there any down side to running the generator while operating down the road so you can run the coach air conditioner(s) for cooling ?

Thanks
The air conditioner and anything else you might need that requires AC power; like TV, microwave, etc..
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #7

Better fuel economy or not, the thing I'm shooting for is the cooling provided by the house air-conditioners. There are two vents in the ceiling by the front cab. Pointed downward, I'm thinking they'll do a much better job of cooling than the dash.

I just purchased my Berk in October, and so far, I only got to drive it home. But come late winter/early spring, I'll be able to test the theory out.

Thanks to all who replied !
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #8

Hi Kenny,

I find the dash air keeps me comfortable but I run the generator and living room air for the dogs. Otherwise the cabin can heat up. I have never had any problems and have only been asked once to shut it down while fueling.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
WFD

No down side at all...as others have said it will keep the rest of your coach cool.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #10

Use mine on every trip so far. I also run my fridge instead of using LP. Microwave comes in handy for those in the back and also powers the DVD players in the bunks. Service rep says these Gens are happiest when they run.
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner