Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

Air retention

I picked up my 390BH last month. It is parked in the driveway and I have started it once a week. I've noticed that both air gauges are down to 0. Is this normal, the air builds up quickly. I would assume that it should hold air longer than a week. Should I think that possibly there is an air leak in the system? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #2

This is normal. As long as things pressure up in the allotted time when you go through your pretrip inspection. Simply follow the guideline that were laid out during your airbrake certification.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Assuming he has an air brake cert.

IF it was new and mine Id be truckin right back to the dealer to find the leak .
IT MAY only get worse and leave you stranded

IT could have a bad "rubber" air line and go

Take it back !

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #4

As lefaivre said, perfectly normal. You may get a couple days with it still holding some pressure but that would be it. If that. I know for sure mine will still hold pressure down around 50-60psi after 24 hours, but never checked to see how long till 0psi. Pefectly normal as every air brake system in the world does the same thing.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
As lefaivre said, perfectly normal. You may get a couple days with it still holding some pressure but that would be it. If that. I know for sure mine will still hold pressure down around 50-60psi after 24 hours, but never checked to see how long till 0psi. Pefectly normal as every air brake system in the world does the same thing.
My peterbilt holds 100 psi for weeks on end .
Exception to your statement?
Btw its a 2005 with 70, 000 miles

Turbs
Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Although yes some air loss if not all air loss is quite common especially in older vehicles after sitting even overnight.
As long as its within dot regulations its "ok"
But I would be concerned that there's a loose fitting or line that could be or can be fixed.
IT IS under warranty and I think most if not all of us spent 80 90 or a 100k on a recreation vehicle would expect it not to leak .
Jmo

Turbs
Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
My peterbilt holds 100 psi for weeks on end .
Exception to your statement?
Btw its a 2005 with 70, 000 miles

Turbs
I knew when I wrote "every sytem in the world" someone would chime in about that and have an exception. 1. You must burn alot of fuel in your Peterbilt idling for weeks on end to hold pressure and 2. You've got the only truck in the world that can do that....again joking.

As part of our business we have a fleet of various trucks and myself or my shop foreman has never in all our years seen a truck that holds pressure for more than a few days max. So hold on to that Pete' she's a good one.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #8

it is normal for the berkshire. if you put the levelers down you hear the system dumping the air and the airbags settle. the system is not like a truck.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
I knew when I wrote "every sytem in the world" someone would chime in about that and have an exception. 1. You must burn alot of fuel in your Peterbilt idling for weeks on end to hold pressure and 2. You've got the only truck in the world that can do that....again joking.

As part of our business we have a fleet of various trucks and myself or my shop foreman has never in all our years seen a truck that holds pressure for more than a few days max. So hold on to that Pete' she's a good one.
its all good ! lol
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #10

Two comments

I had referanced a pre trip inspection in my first reply. Below is the critical part of teh Air Brake check. As long as you pass this test and you do not hear and air leak ... I would say that you are good to go

Step Two:
Ensure all drain cocks are closed and bring system pressure to its maximum.
• Check to see that the low air pressure warning devices are working as required.

o
They should cut out at a minimum of 60 PSI.
• Check to see how long it takes to build up pressure from 50 to 90 PSI.

o
It must take less than 3 minutes with the engine running at 1200 RPM.
• Release tractor and trailer brakes and continue building system to maximum pressure.
• Check to see at what point the governor cuts out.

o
This pressure should be in the range of 120 to 130 PSI.

Second point
Someone asked if it is normal to hear a rush of air when putting down the jack. Yes ... at this point you are dumping all air from the system. This lowers the coach making the leveling process much easier ... also preventing that huge first step when level

lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #11

I don't have a air brake endorsement and only have a regular drivers license. I'm not sure what states require a special license to operate a 40'MH towing a 16'Toad but I did take the time to review the air system on my rig and I also had a military license to run up to a douce with air brakes with trailers of all different types. And I mean small like water buffalos or gens that type. I was not a transpiration mos but a infantry weapons repair and we used this equipment for our mission of support. My point is just because you don't have a endorsement doesn't mean you aren't safe. Why get all the paper work and pay for it if its not required. Now here is where

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I don't have a air brake endorsement and only have a regular drivers license. I'm not sure what states require a special license to operate a 40'MH towing a 16'Toad but I did take the time to review the air system on my rig and I also had a military license to run up to a douce with air brakes with trailers of all different types. And I mean small like water buffalos or gens that type. I was not a transpiration mos but a infantry weapons repair and we used this equipment for our mission of support. My point is just because you don't have a endorsement doesn't mean you aren't safe. Why get all the paper work and pay for it if its not required. Now here is where
Now here is where I would want input. Am I wrong. Should we as MH owners get a CDL with all the training that comes with it. In Mi I have never heard of a MH endorsement but should I contact a school and get some basic training.
This OP with air brake questions make me wonder if you are on the road and there is something that comes up on a vital system are we guessing on wether something is safe. I know guys running rigs that are 60 plus feet long driving 5-7 hundred miles and are 80 plus years old. Most would fail a CDL physical and have been doing for years. Anyway I guess I kinda poached this thread sorry to the OP and sorry about the split post I'm on my phone and its smarter than me most of the time.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Guy View Post
I picked up my 390BH last month. It is parked in the driveway and I have started it once a week. I've noticed that both air gauges are down to 0. Is this normal, the air builds up quickly. I would assume that it should hold air longer than a week. Should I think that possibly there is an air leak in the system? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!
This is perfectly normal. Without deploying your jacks, air will only stay in the system 3 to 4 days at the maximum.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #14

I' with Turbs on this one. Take it back and get it checked, if it's new, it's free!! I've been driving coaches (sorry, tour buses ) for nearly 40 yrs, and would be very surprised at a system on a new vehicle which dumps all it's air to 0 in a week. I could, if you wish post the school bus brake test which is somewhat more comprehensive than the one already posted. If your vehicle passes that on your pre-trip, then you should be good to go.

2005 Ford F150 5.4
2011 Salem 21FBS
greenliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
marialee-Berkshire410qs

Where do you find the drain cocks? Lost all of the air in our Berkshire 4010qs. No brakes and cant move...at least we are parked in a RV site.
marialee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialee View Post
Where do you find the drain cocks? Lost all of the air in our Berkshire 4010qs. No brakes and cant move...at least we are parked in a RV site.
Just start the engine and let it build up air.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
marialee-Berkshire410qs

As of now it is the dryer part of the air brake system..Freightliner as of now, customer service is lacking.. IMO
marialee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
phat phrog stunt crew

our trucks at work bleed air off if left to sit for a week. some even as soon as after a weekend. but we drive internationals, so there you go. as far as drain cock goes, there should be a little wire string/rope attached to the bottom of the air drier. give it a pull and drain water from system. shouldnt be very much in the system if at all.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #19

The lanyards to bleed the air tanks are on the chassis rail behind the front wheels (behind meaning on the inside of the front wheels). There are 2 on the passenger side and one on the drivers side. As dwaynerz said, very little, if any, water should come out. Only a slight mist.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
phat phrog stunt crew

thanks tmmar, i for the life of me couldnt think of the word lanyard. kind of late this year, but alcohol (not the drinking kind) also makes a great water dispersant in the winter.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote