Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #21

I just looked at the Dometic web site and they don't show a low profile, 15kbtu heat pump, only a 13.5k low profile Penguin heat pump. I will need to call Dometic tomorrow to verify that they don't have a 15kbtu low profile heat pump any longer. Doesn't make sense that they would discontinue the larger size since RV's are notorious for being hot boxes with very little insulation.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I just looked at the Dometic web site and they don't show a low profile, 15kbtu heat pump, only a 13.5k low profile Penguin heat pump. I will need to call Dometic tomorrow to verify that they don't have a 15kbtu low profile heat pump any longer. Doesn't make sense that they would discontinue the larger size since RV's are notorious for being hot boxes with very little insulation.
You know it is a same, Carrier stop making A/C units for RV"s all together. Dometic has the market and that is where the manufactures of RV's go to because they are cheaper and you get what you pay for and now you have no choise, it's Dometic or Coleman.

FYI, unless things have changed with both of these a/c manufactures this is what you have to be aware off.....Voltage Drop....they can not handle it with being damaged in most cases. The capacitor will burn out and at less 50% of the time the control board will burn as well.

About six months ago I work at the Air and Space Museum in Chintilly VA, I was there for 9 years, we have 5 parking booths off of Rt-28 and they all had Dometic low profile 13,500 BTU A/C units on the roofs with electric heat strips and in the time we had to replace all 5 units at less once during the first 5 years of operation due to voltage drops, booth #5 was hit so bad it not only burnt the capacitor and the control board but burnt all of the wiring inside of the unit. The cost for materials was about $45.00 and that was just for the control board.
Carrier's a/c units where design for RV's and there known problems with in the campgrounds during high power usage, but it cost more for the Carrier unit and no one once to pay more, they want to pay less.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I know nothing, but it seems like a BTU is a BTU regardless of the refrigerant. Seems like a better refrigerant would make the unit consume less power, but that is all. Replacing a 15K with a 13.5K makes no sense to me.
My money is on "they had an old one in stock they had to move" What ever lie they needed to tell was OK to them.

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
The lack of insulation around the duct was the cause of our A/C leaking water. When we removed the filter for the first time, we noticed water laying in the area.

Long story short - our dealer found the factory didn't properly insulate the area.

The dealer redid the insulation and we have had no leaking problems since.
This is common and the dealers knows what the problem is and it is good that they got on it right away because this can cause problems in area you and I can't see as time go,s on
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #25

I agree with lbrjet and Herk; a btu is a btu. A smaller unit will put out less cooling. A new unit may be more efficient in operation, but capacity is capacity. In a gas heating unit, a 90% efficient unit will put out more heat than an 80% unit of the same size. In some instances downsizing a furnace makes sense. A more efficient air conditioning unit uses less energy, but again, a btu of cooling is a btu of cooling.
2014 Ford Lariat Supercrew, Ecoboost 3.73 gears
Bruce and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Lynn View Post
I agree with lbrjet and Herk; a btu is a btu. A smaller unit will put out less cooling. A new unit may be more efficient in operation, but capacity is capacity. In a gas heating unit, a 90% efficient unit will put out more heat than an 80% unit of the same size. In some instances downsizing a furnace makes sense. A more efficient air conditioning unit uses less energy, but again, a btu of cooling is a btu of cooling.
Ok, what is the diffference between the 80% and the 90%? how do they work?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #27

I just got off the phone with Dometic sales and guess what- the do make a 15000 btu low profile heat pump that with a conversion board, will work with my system. Now guess who is going to dispute the credit card charge with Boat n RV? I will also say that anyone who deals with them should take everything they say with the perverbial grain of salt.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #28

TMMAR,

I have the same year coach as you and one of our units is on its last legs. I'd appreciate when you are finished sorting this all out, please post the specifics you learned. I didn't know there was conversion board - that's good news. Best of luck - it is ashamed that you have to waste your time now making this right. I'm blown away by the lack of ethics in so many businesses today...
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote