Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #1

Any issues with interior woodwork?

I have a 2012 Berkshire and love the coach but I sure wish its cabinets were made of solid wood. The cabinets are starting to show some wear and tear. Some of the wood grain film is lifting on the corners.

Does anyone know if you can apply a solid wood laminate over the vinyl film?
62intherightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62intherightlane View Post
I have a 2012 Berkshire and love the coach but I sure wish its cabinets were made of solid wood. The cabinets are starting to show some wear and tear. Some of the wood grain film is lifting on the corners.

Does anyone know if you can apply a solid wood laminate over the vinyl film?
I don't know, but solid wood through and through would be very heavy.
Also, for peeling away wall paper, etc....I use just a tiny smidge of super glue...found wall paper glue doesn't work well.
Then if a little seam shows or feathering from the paper, i use a stain pen to fill in (presuming its wood-grain type). Never know you repaired it. Easy Speazy done in a dab and a swipe!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #3

If your wood grain film ( also known as melamine or thermoset) is not adhering well now and you attempt to go over it with wood veneer, you would have wasted your time and money. Wood veneers, either self adhesive or glue down require a solid sub base that is clean, smooth and null of voids.

Heat is the greatest enemy of the RV "wood grain film" and so is steam from any appliance that you warm your morning beverages with.

Like bodzcampers said, a stain marker form one of the box store can color the base density wood after you trim back the loose wood grain film.

There are many other ways to hide the repair also. You can look inside of one of your cabinets, carefully cut away a small piece where the wood vinyl wrap actually wraps around on the inside of the frames. Then you can carefully match it to where you are missing some on the exterior and adhere it with spray adhesive.

You can also warm up some colored wax crayons and gently spread the paste onto the area that is missing the wrap.

Or as a last resort, carefully remove the rail or stile in question and replace it with a solid piece of oak cut to the same measurements. Sand, seal, stain and polyurethane it.

Hope this Helps!
NastySplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #4

I find that the edges of shelves and other "high traffic" areas tend to be the most prone to "rash". It would be nice if you could just buy a 1 inch (or so) wide sticky strip of the paper on a roll; with the same color/pattern, etc.

Then just stick a piece over the affected area. I wouldn't be surprised if FR actually has it available from the parts dept; but haven't checked myself.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #5

I have not had the problem with my Berkshire but did with my Georgetown by the entrance door. Went to Homedepot and got a piece of clear wallpaper corner. That kept the problem from spreading and blended right in.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I have not had the problem with my Berkshire but did with my Georgetown by the entrance door. Went to Homedepot and got a piece of clear wallpaper corner. That kept the problem from spreading and blended right in.
Wow good idea as a preventative also in high traffic corners.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
I find that the edges of shelves and other "high traffic" areas tend to be the most prone to "rash". It would be nice if you could just buy a 1 inch (or so) wide sticky strip of the paper on a roll; with the same color/pattern, etc.

Then just stick a piece over the affected area. I wouldn't be surprised if FR actually has it available from the parts dept; but haven't checked myself.

Boowho??
I'll have to check with Andy at FR and see if it's available. Applying new film would probably be the best way to address the issue.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote