Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #21

What I have found that helps. Set the temp very slowly. Only go to the hot side of the mixing valve as per instructions. Most importantly run it to the temp you like then leave it alone. If you adjust it constantly it will never work right. I have small children. I set the water temp and let it run a few minutes to check the temp. Then they use the shower without a problem. If you have low water pressure at your site you may be better running your water pump from your tank. If the water pressure is very high you barely open the mixing valve on the hot side. Set the switch to low and you should be fine.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #22

Have you contacted Girard? On ours they sent us a email which required us putting a jumper wire between 2 terminals changing the heater settings. Check with Girard, you call them to discuss your issues. They were very helpful. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your motorhome. Join FROG and enjoy going to the rallies.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #23

(This is AlJ's wife, Cindy, replying.) Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm really tired of the hot/cold showers and lack of hot water for washing dishes (I heat water in the microwave for that). But even more so, I think this system is a waste of water - it has to run such a long time before there is some semblance of heat. We had an electric/propane water heater and an on/off control on the shower head of our previous MH which were great! The water stayed the right temp when "off" (Navy showers) and saved water. Didn't have to empty the grey water tank as much either. Anyway, thanks again. We'll give your suggestions a try.
Al J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #24
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al J View Post
(This is AlJ's wife, Cindy, replying.) Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm really tired of the hot/cold showers and lack of hot water for washing dishes (I heat water in the microwave for that). But even more so, I think this system is a waste of water - it has to run such a long time before there is some semblance of heat. We had an electric/propane water heater and an on/off control on the shower head of our previous MH which were great! The water stayed the right temp when "off" (Navy showers) and saved water. Didn't have to empty the grey water tank as much either. Anyway, thanks again. We'll give your suggestions a try.
Cindy,

Our experience is exactly the same. It has gotten better for the shower by installing the oxygenics shower head, but my wife has given up on Navy showers. Even worst has been the fact we can't get the kids in the bath without screaming. However, ours does not have an adjustable thermostat. Our does have the change for high instead of auto. For ourselves, I've decided not to waste time and effort to get another generation installed. If we're going to install anything, it will be a conventional tank type. Of course that will be at my cost.

Good luck with yours. Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forest River Forums mobile app

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #25

Hope it works out for you Al J. There are a lot of threads on this subject and some good advice. One that I didn't mention is using a low flow shower head. I have the Oxygenics but there are several brands that would work. It mixes air and water to give the feel of more water being used. If you do a lot of dry camping I can see the water use being a bit high, we are in full hook up most of the time and dry camp only 3-4 nights at a time. There is no reason you should need to heat water in the mic to wash dishes. You should be covered be warranty I would use it and call Gerrard or your dealer or call FR direct. Randy will make it right for you I know that for sure.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #26
jlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I set my thermostat about halfway. I run just hot water for a few minutes then move the shower faucet about to the half way position the temp does change a little but I wouldn't call it cool to hot, more like hot to warm..
Campin Cajun do you know if this trick works on a fiver? We have a 33rl and I can only get a 10 minute shower and it isn't even steaming. Previously we had a Fleetwood Regal which never rain out of steam,literally. My hubby could take a shower, then I could take a 15 minute shower. Then on the days I clean the shower I could take my 15 minute shower then another 15 minute cleaning with no problem. Now forget it. The water is COLD while I am cleaning. For sure the next on our list is to buy a Oxygenics Body Spa! Any suggestions? Thanking you in advance
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #27

Any tips on the tankless water heater

If you have the Girad tankless in your camper it should work the same. The thermostat I am speaking of is mounted on the wall in my bathroom. I am not sure which model I have the Gen 1 or 2. I'll check when I get home.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #28

If you have a hi/low switch it is a Gen 1. The Gen 2 have a dial that adjust the flame.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #29

I had a problem once that the unit wouldn't stay on. I would have hot water for a min then it would be cold. That turned out to be the sail switch at the exhaust of the unit. If you go outside and look in the exhaust you will see it. It connects to a small switch. Apparently the micro switch had some dirt in it and wouldn't activate. Easy fix and if I have problems that's the first place I look.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #30

After reading all the posts, I decided to just go back with a regular Suburban 10 gal like I had.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
After reading all the posts, I decided to just go back with a regular Suburban 10 gal like I had.....

That sounds good to me, but where would you install it.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #32

Tankless heater slides right into existing water heater opening.....
Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post

You said that you would like to go back to the Surburban 10 gal. I do not think that it will go into where a tankless was. Yes a tankless will go where a Surburban was. Therefore I do no understand your last reply.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #34

You misunderstood - I had a suburban and considered going tankless but decided against it....
Old 03-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #35
Cyclone

In my Berk with the water heater on the right rear, there is plenty of room for a 10 gallon water heater. With the new configuration for 2014, I'm not sure.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #36

In my 2011 it would take major fabrication to get a ten gal in. If you have a tank type now I can see staying with the same system. If it's a tankless I would push to have FR or Gerrard make it right. I started with a gen 1 and got it to work ok but not great. With the gen 2 there is no way I would go to a tank type system. I can take a ten minute shower if I want and never run out of HW. I would let FR and Gerrard have the chance to make it right. I do believe they will.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #37
Cyclone

Phil

I truly believe they would too.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #38

I just put a Suburban SW10DE (10 gal ) water heater in my 2008 Berk with no mod required.... I'm sitting in my rig at the FMCA Perry rally and it's pumping out hot water......
Old 03-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #39

Ernest,
Didn't the '08 have a Suburban 10 gal in it originally? I know mine did.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #40

Yes it did therefore no mod needed.... The Gerrard tankless unit slides right into the existing opening but as I stated earlier, I opted out of the tankless....

Tags
heater, tank, water, water heater