Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #1

ASA Electronics – no hassle warranty – is a Big hassle

1 year ago on March 30th I picked up a 2008 Forest River Berkshire. It came equipped with ASA Electronics side view cameras. Two months later when I was showing the motor home to a friend I switched on the right directional to demonstrate the side view camera and the picture was fuzzy. I went out to clean off the lens and noticed that there was condensation behind the lens cover. I notified ASA and they sent out a replacement camera. I did the switch (which saved them the labor charges) and returned the old camera. A few months later, the same problem and ASA again replaced the camera. I then covered the rig for the winter. This past February, I uncovered the rig and went on a trip to Florida. While using the motor home, the same problem occurred, condensation behind the lens cover. This time it was behind both side view cameras lens covers. I again notified ASA. They sent out, so they say, 2 replacement cameras. According to ASA they said that UPS said they were delivered while I was away. Shortly after returning home, I had not received the cameras and notified ASA of this. I was told that they were delivered by UPS. I said that I had not received them. They said that UPS had left them on my front stoop. Either they were delivered to the wrong address or stolen. They were left without a signature or other proof of delivery. I asked ASA if they would follow up and file a claim with UPS. They refused saying that they had fulfilled their obligation and that they would not follow up or file a claim with UPS. I notified Highway’s “Action Line” and they received the same reply from ASA that they had fulfilled their obligation and would not follow up with UPS any further. They also said that the cameras were waterproof and the only explanation they could give is that either a power washer was used (I don’t own a power washer and would not use one on the rig) or that the manufacturer used some type of solvent which caused deterioration of the lens gasket. If this was the case, why would the replacement cameras, which were not subject to any solvents, have the same problem.
So, here I sit with 2 bad side view cameras and ASA now refusing to help in any way or even speak with me.
I just wanted everyone to know that ASA’s “no hassle warranty” is really nothing but a BIG HASSLE
tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Did they give you a UPS tracking number??
If so then you can claim at UPS.
If not then you're out of luck.

Sorry I can't relate to a motor home with side view cameras.
We are several steps lower than that on the old dollar$ invested scale.
I'm doing good if I can get my wife to walk behind and look for obstacles
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #3

I checked the UPS website and it said that only the shipper can make a claim for a lost or missing item. The recipient can't.
tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I checked the UPS website and it said that only the shipper can make a claim for a lost or missing item. The recipient can't.
Sorry, my mistake.
I've no idea what your cameras look like but tiny "spy cameras" are cheap
and can be ordered on the internet from places like newegg.com and
many others. Maybe you can just replace yours??
Good luck!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
Site Team

I'd demand a tracking number. That will tell you exactly when the item was scanned and where it was left. On packages that UPS leaves without a signature they even note if they were left at the side door or the front door. If they won't give you a tracking number it almost sounds like they didn't even ship them.

Dan's might be the best suggestion. Find a replacement and handle it yourself. Ebay has dozens of backup cameras and I bet one of them would be almost an exact replacment.

Tags
berkshire