Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #1

Awning "sunblockers" advice

I'm looking for some opinions on the Carefree Sunblockers. How is the quality? What size (2013 390BH) would you recommend for the most coverage? Are they easy to add to the awning?

If someone knows of a better product that I can use with the factory Carefree awning, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
JJ
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #2

I don't have one of these yet. So I can't give hands on opinion, but from what I have read these are really good. They have a zipper so you can leave the top portion on the awning when retracting.

http://www.sunpromfg.net/RV-Awning-Drapes-s/1.htm
Old 09-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #3

Awning sunshade

Just an idea of what we used for one of these. My wife sewed up one from some material used for outdoor furniture which is mildew resistant semi see through material which had a minimal cost to make it. Used a vinyl clothesline as the insert and wrapped the material around to slide in the tube. Worked fine on the manual awning but we just upgraded to one with a Solera electric awning and used it twice...the first night we left the shade in place and rolled it up with the awning and it worked fine...second day...in the heat of the day tried to roll it up again and the motor wouldn't pull it in at all so we removed it and in came the awning no problem. Think I will mode my attachment method with awning light hangers to hang the shade from them for easier removal just have to install some grommets and will use S hooks to hang it and leave the light shade hangers in place.
Vtxguypei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. The zippered option seems workable with the auto awning.

JJ
Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

J&J Sunshades,Lake Wales Fl. (Lifetime Warr.) Mats.Sunshades,End Shades Made in the USA Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #6

unless you had after market support poles for the electric awning, the weight of the sunblocker screens would be too great. You will tear something up.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #7

I had a 6'drop made by carefree. I didn't want to mess with the zipper and Carefree said to go no more that 6' and take it off when I store it in the winter. It has been on for a year now and works great. I turn off the wind sensor and stake it out with bungee cords. Gives lots of room and no issues with the awning. I also bought the side shade and hate it.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

IMO, sun blockers should not be added to the Dometic power awnings without some sort of support poles for the awning tube. The arms are just not designed for the added weight even if the adjustable arms could be tightened enough to prevent slipping (which I was not able to do with the knobs).
Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMO, sun blockers should not be added to the Dometic power awnings without some sort of support poles for the awning tube. The arms are just not designed for the added weight even if the adjustable arms could be tightened enough to prevent slipping (which I was not able to do with the knobs).

I totally agree with you on the weight issue. I was sitting under my awning while it was raining and all at once one side dipped down and dumped the water off.... as I was told it is supposed to do.
imo, adding such weight on the awning canvas and support arms is asking for big trouble. Now, the question is, where to go for good quality after market awning support poles?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #10

Even a strong wind applied on a Sunshade used on a (Non supported) Elect. Awning will bring it Down! We have talked about this for (3) years. The only ones (Not) listening is the (Factory)! Youroo!!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #11

I can only report what I use and how it works for me. I would caution that leaving the awning staked down when not at your camp site is a bad idea. I will release the bungee cords and turn the wind sensor back on. I have not had any issues and the motor handles the weight with no issues. The 6' shade is not very heavy. Not sure what poles would do. I have tried to find some old aluminum tent poles to use in the grommets at the end of the shade but could not find them. I think I like it
with the bungee pulling out at a angle better anyway. Sorry to disagree with you guys but so far so good. If I burn a motor out I will report it.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I can only report what I use and how it works for me. I would caution that leaving the awning staked down when not at your camp site is a bad idea. I will release the bungee cords and turn the wind sensor back on. I have not had any issues and the motor handles the weight with no issues. The 6' shade is not very heavy. Not sure what poles would do. I have tried to find some old aluminum tent poles to use in the grommets at the end of the shade but could not find them. I think I like it
with the bungee pulling out at a angle better anyway. Sorry to disagree with you guys but so far so good. If I burn a motor out I will report it.
Some M/H awning come Straight out,very high up,with a slide under them.A (6ft) Sun shade would do very little for these units. Youroo!!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #13

The arms are adjustable on my MH and that helps a little. It's not ideal to have the patio taken up by a slide but that is what I have so I was looking for a way to expand the shade area. It's not perfect but it helps. I would have gone with the 3' and the zipper but I have neck issues and it makes it difficult to work over my head. I do get good results with the 6' drop although not perfect it helps and as long as you watch the weather I don't think I am putting my awning in danger of being ripped down by the wind. I say four 5th wheel awnings ripped off the trailer that had some type of pole and tie down system. When the storm came up they where out checking them and I just unhooked the bungee and retracted the awning.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #14

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2427427488.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	39152
6' sun blocker hanging

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1884421278.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	39153   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1221489776.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	39154   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2813224691.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	39155  
Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #15

I took the pictures at 1:00 to shadow the shade. I know it would look better with the same color bungee. The poles I was thinking if would go in the 3 grommets that the bungee are in. That would raise the sun blocker and give more shade. The MH is facing SW. Again if anyone uses a sun blocker make sure to turn of the awning control to avoid damaging the awning.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #16

I had one of these shades with our old Fleetwood Discovery and absolutely loved it. Have planned to get one to use on our 2012 390BH-60. We find the stock awning next to useless on its own due to the fact that it comes out straight to the MH. I would tend to agree with Phil that the weight would not be much of an issue however the portion rolling up into the awing would need to be quite long in order to make installation easy without a ladder.

Tim
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #17

I have a 10 foot awning shade drop and it works very well. It is zippered at 4 foot. I take of the 6 foot section and roll up the 4 foot section with the awning. Not one issue for over a year and works great.

I can remove the shade and have the awning rolled up in under 1 minute. I had them place grommets every 18 inches and use bungee cords to hold it in place.

Made by Shadepro for the Eclipse awning

ShadePro Inc.: Eclipse Patio Awnings

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #18

Nice setup. That's what we are looking for. What width did you order? My rig is in storage so I can't measure it. Is that the black netting or one of the other colors they offer?

Very nice,
JJ
Old 09-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJvike View Post
Nice setup. That's what we are looking for. What width did you order? My rig is in storage so I can't measure it. Is that the black netting or one of the other colors they offer?

Very nice,
JJ
Thanks,

The awning is 17ft wide and fits my 360FWS perfectly. I had it made in black.

You can order any length and drop length. For the Eclipse awning they recommend a 10 ft drop. The zipper is at 4 ft so that the zipper is 6 ft off the ground. Most everyone can attached the lower 6 ft. portion of the drop standing on the ground.

The only thing that I changed was putting grommets every 18 inches. If I recall the standard spacing is every 3 ft.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
Thanks,

The awning is 17ft wide and fits my 360FWS perfectly. I had it made in black.

You can order any length and drop length. For the Eclipse awning they recommend a 10 ft drop. The zipper is at 4 ft so that the zipper is 6 ft off the ground. Most everyone can attached the lower 6 ft. portion of the drop standing on the ground.

The only thing that I changed was putting grommets every 18 inches. If I recall the standard spacing is every 3 ft.
How do you anchor it to the ground?

Tags
awning