Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #1

BADLUCK

Howdy!

I've decided to name our brand new Berkshire 2016 38a BADLUCK. Although it's our 3rd class A coach, it's our first pusher. My wife and I signed the papers for it way, way, WAY back at the beginning of Sept. when we spotted it at the RV Show. For the life of me I can't figure out why they call it an RV Show because it's more like a Smash and Trash. I couldn't believe all the damage our new Berk has from it. It took TWO months though before we could take delivery of it because we had to wait 6 weeks for the sunscreen arrive. I drove it home two weeks ago and while driving it home suddenly my right mirror is horizontal. Couldn't see anything on my right side and I had to get over one lane. The camera on the mirror is totally useless in this case! After getting it home I discovered it had over a dozen issues that needed to be addressed. The twenty mile ride back to the dealer became another "ride thru hell" when I lost my air suspension. Now that really sucked! We were hoping to get it back this week but the dealer called me today with some more bad news. They had taken it over to Freightliner to get the air suspension fixed. Seems like they found a rock in the airline. That's what they said folks! But....we have another problem now. A tractor trailer driver backed into it and damaged the right rear top to bottom. We've owned it two and a half months, making payments, and haven't even used it. But for sure I'm sick of it already!
Bud Ezekiel H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #2

Bud welcome to the forum. Hate hearing about all the issues that you've had and to have someone back into it to boot. Hopefully it will all be resolved soon and will be history.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome. From past experiences, I know there's always going to be issues but I'm sick of the history lesson
Old 11-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #4

Hi Bud! Welcome to the forum and to the Berkshire Family. I am really sorry you are having all those problems with your new coach. I know once you finally get it back and you can get out on the road in it you will fall in love with it!
Good Luck, keep us posted!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:46 PM   #5

BADLUCK

Ouch! That totally sucks. As RKNOLA said once all these issues have been addressed and you get on the road, I believe you will love your Berkshire as much as the greater majority of us do.
All the best! And welcome!

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #6

Welcome Bud, like everyone else said, I'm sorry you are having problems with your coach. I think the same thing has happened to most of us at one time or another. I was also ready to blow mine up a time or two. But in the end, I'm glad I didn't. Once the issues get repaired you will enjoy the ride.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #7

Thanks RK and Paul. We loved the floor plan of the 38a. Initially I assumed the 38a was 38 ft. long but I got that one wrong. We wanted something that could pull 10,000 pounds and they told us at the RV show that all pushers could pull 10,000 pounds. Turns out that isn't quite true. But it amazes me how many class C's are out there pulling full size pick up trucks behind them.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #8

Yeah, some of those stories that come out of RV show Salesman can be quite amazing. Not usually true, but still amazing! But we have also found that "towing capacity" is sometimes only determined by the brave driver's imagination. ("Sure, I can tow that...........")
Luckily most small "towable" cars don't ever come close to 10K pounds.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #9

Bud,
Congrats on your new Berkshire and welcome to the FORUMS!! Don't want to be redundant, but as everyone has said, when all is repaired I'm sure you will be very happy with your coach.
Also, I'm sure you've heard that old joke asking how you know when a salesman is lying? If his lips are moving.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #10

Welcome. You did run into some bad luck. I also bought a Moho that had been to a few shows. I will not do that again!

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #11

Bud how bad is the damaged area form the truck hitting it? Have you had a chance to get estimates for repair ? Any photo's ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 11-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #12

I hope the truck driver's insurance will pay for that damage, that's gotta suck.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #13

But it wasn't just a salesman, there was a Forest River rep there too and he didn't dispute it either. Thanks for the welcome too.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #14

I'm going down tomorrow morning to photograph the damage. Then call my insurance to give them a heads up. The truck driver that hit me certainly isn't one of the Knight's on the road. Chicken*hit is more like it.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Ezekiel H. View Post
But it wasn't just a salesman, there was a Forest River rep there too and he didn't dispute it either. Thanks for the welcome too.
when I asked my salesman about power and towing his response was " it's a diesel it can tow and haul anything" I knew this was not correct but he was convinced.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
when I asked my salesman about power and towing his response was " it's a diesel it can tow and haul anything" I knew this was not correct but he was convinced.
They must all take the same course. ( sales 101 ) Phil that sounds like I could have had the same person.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 11-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #17

Visited Freightliner this morning and looked at the damage caused by a CRTS driver. Been boiling ever since. Not sure how to get a photo in this gizmo but if I can't I'll just put a link to the album it's in.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1121594...eat=directlink
Old 11-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Ezekiel H. View Post
Visited Freightliner this morning and looked at the damage caused by a CRTS driver. Been boiling ever since. Not sure how to get a photo in this gizmo but if I can't I'll just put a link to the album it's in.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1121594...eat=directlink

Those pictures makes me want to hurl. I would absolutely send those pictures to FR asking their opinion of the repair of the end cap seal. I'll send you a pm.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #19

That sucks!
Old 11-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #20

Great suggestion, Paul and thank you!