Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 19
Basement Door Handle Removal

I have replaced the plungers and adjusted the U-bolts for nearly all of the basement doors on my 2010 Berkshire 390BH. However, short of angry destruction followed by remorse, I cannot figure out how to remove the handle on the two doors (one on each side) which have the handle only on the inside of the door. Without removing the handle, I cannot get to the wire that attaches to the plunger. A picture is attached (I think).

The plastic plunger on one of these doors has broken, so the door will not stay closed on its own. Fortunately, there is an extension from this door that means it will stay closed/locked so long as the door in front of it does not fail.

Thanks for any advice.

John
Rambling Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS
 
NO3putt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,489
No picture, however when you do replace it make sure the replacement plunger is metal. Skip
__________________
2011: 54 days, 2012: 218 days, 2013: 175 days, 2014: 196 days
2015: 188 days, 2016: 72 days, 2017: 185 days: 2018 182 days
2019: 156 days (2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad)
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 19
Thanks, No 3 Putt. Some day I will figure out how to attach a picture on this site.

I completely agree about using the metal replacements. I bought ten and only have two left but they are a needed upgrade over ten year old plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C7320F4F-D72F-48D4-8DB1-134F52E2442A.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	175912  
Rambling Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Sam View Post
Thanks, No 3 Putt. Some day I will figure out how to attach a picture on this site.

I completely agree about using the metal replacements. I bought ten and only have two left but they are a needed upgrade over ten year old plastic.
Perhaps my 2008 is different but I can remove the two screws and the cover slips off.

As for the metal plungers where did you get yours and do you have the part number?
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Perhaps my 2008 is different but I can remove the two screws and the cover slips off.

As for the metal plungers where did you get yours and do you have the part number?
I have all the information in the rig, but I am out of town until next weekend. I will post the name and part number when I get home.
__________________
John Stanis
SAM - our 2010 Berkshire 390BH
Adams - our 2014 Honda C-RV
Rambling Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
MaddyCatBus
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Seeleys Bay ON
Posts: 35
Basement door handle

We have had a similar basement door problem and so are interested in the replacement metal handles too.

Joan and Glenn in Seeleys Bay Ont
Enerloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 19
RB Machining/RV Div

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerloss View Post
We have had a similar basement door problem and so are interested in the replacement metal handles too.

Joan and Glenn in Seeleys Bay Ont
You can buy the metal plungers from RB Machining (www.motorhomelatches.com). Their phone is 661-274-1966. The latches described as “Winnebago type latch” fit and worked fine for all bay doors on my 390BH. Each plunger cost $16. They do not accept credit cards, so they ship without payment, and you mail them a check when you receive the plungers.
__________________
John Stanis
SAM - our 2010 Berkshire 390BH
Adams - our 2014 Honda C-RV
Rambling Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Sam View Post
You can buy the metal plungers from RB Machining (www.motorhomelatches.com). Their phone is 661-274-1966. The latches described as “Winnebago type latch” fit and worked fine for all bay doors on my 390BH. Each plunger cost $16. They do not accept credit cards, so they ship without payment, and you mail them a check when you receive the plungers.


What type and size cable did you use?
wrighfr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:29 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighfr58 View Post
What type and size cable did you use?
I do not recall the specs, as I simply took some of the existing wire to a hardware store and bought something similar. There have been no problems since then.
__________________
John Stanis
SAM - our 2010 Berkshire 390BH
Adams - our 2014 Honda C-RV
Rambling Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:41 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ernest917's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: On Another Adventure
Posts: 2,563
Question: how do you remove those from the back two rear compartment door???? The door bottoms are curved and I can’t get them out.

Recently had someone tell me you have to actually bend lower portion of door, replace them then rebrand door back...

That doesn’t seem right to me....

Do you drill out door panel rivets???

Can’t believe they’d make it this difficult - duh!!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #11
Diesel Rep West Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 457
We buy the aluminum baggage doors per-assembled, so the internal gust of the lock are already installed. What part are you trying to replace for the door?
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
ernest917's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: On Another Adventure
Posts: 2,563
The plunger portion - it’s broken off so no way to actually latch door closed....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #13
Diesel Rep West Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
The plunger portion - it’s broken off so no way to actually latch door closed....
Do you have your vin# handy? Might be able to get some information on who we got the doors from, and the instructions on how to replace. I do know that when I talked to the service department, they did say that yes there are times that they gentle have to bend the bottom panel out to replace the plunger on the rear doors. when they do this, they do it very slow and delicate to damage the paint on the other side. once the replacement is in they gentle roll the bottom panel back.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Question: how do you remove those from the back two rear compartment door???? The door bottoms are curved and I can’t get them out.

Recently had someone tell me you have to actually bend lower portion of door, replace them then rebrand door back...

That doesn’t seem right to me....

Do you drill out door panel rivets???

Can’t believe they’d make it this difficult - duh!!!!
Think I recall photos on the Berkshire Facebook group. Found the post, look for..... (Search the Facebook group for "latches")

Maria Mingo Howard to Berkshire Motorhome Owners Group

March 11, 2019 at 11:43 PM ·

Here are some videos to help with putting new latches in the basement doors.
__________________
2017 Berkshire XL 40A & 2017 Ford Focus SE
I Built and Fly - Van's Aircraft RV-12
Ham Radio - W9EAA
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Montana
Posts: 605
We don’t do Facebook so I can’t speak to what’s shown there; but, when I’ve done our I’ve just kept working/fiddling with them until they finally slide out. I loosen the cable from above first. Taking the broken one out and the new one has never gone particularly easy but I’ve eventually got it done. I’m sure a lot gentler on how I close those doors now, leaving the “slam” part off.
__________________
2016 Berkshire XL 40A towing 2020 Jeep Wrangler unlimited.
Prior to this Jayco fifth wheel: 24' Eagle, 30'Designer, and 40' Jayco pinnacle.
Igave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.