Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #1

Smile Batteries

I am a new owner of a Berkshire Q34 and have a question as to how the chassis batteries switch needs to be set (on/off) if the bus is parked for an extended time, but is plugged into a 50 amp plug. Will the charger unit charge both chassis and coach batteries all the time or is it the inventor unit unit need to also be on. Any help is appreciated
Rpacheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #2

I have a 19 34QS and you leave your battery banks both on. Your inverter will go passive, but, you should make sure the charger light is on. Your read out should say bulk charge or float.
USS Decatur DDG-31 1971-1975
Inlineskater67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:18 PM   #3

Also - check battery water level regularly......

Boiling them dry will ruin them....

Your magnum inverter/charger will maintain them....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:34 PM   #4

I got a new 2021 Berk 34B. It has been parked for a month with the inverter disabled. I am also plugged in to a 50A shore line. The Precision Plex has reported 13.8V all this time. I just enabled it. I saw about 15A but it died down to 1A. So should the inverter be enabled when parked and connected to a shore line?Click image for larger version

Name:	20210131_141849.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	246988
Sunvalley ID RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:48 PM   #5

your inverter can be on all the time, some of the time, or none of the time, depending on what you want it to do... but, the Inverter is also simply a 'pass thru' of 120v power from the SHORE - meaning that regardless of whether it's ON or not, 120v power is still available to the Charger, and all the outlets that are typically powered by the Inverter.

The real question is the CHARGER, whether it's ON or not. Without it ON, no, you'll have no HOUSE battery charging, even while plugged in. Leave it on all the time, there's very few times you'll ever NOT want it to be ON. When there is no SHORE or GENERATOR power, it simply sits idle until there is.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries