Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
This allowed me to cut the charging rate down to about 50% and my problems disappeared.
Good Luck

Boowho??
Boo,
What does that mean when you say you cut the charging rate to 50%? I looked at mine yesterday and it was at 100% so I cut it down to 80% but not sure exactly what that does. If you could let me know I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Boo,
What does that mean when you say you cut the charging rate to 50%? I looked at mine yesterday and it was at 100% so I cut it down to 80% but not sure exactly what that does. If you could let me know I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Tom
Tom..... Not really sure myself, but I think there a certain percentage that is optimal depending upon the total amp/hrs rating of your battery stack.

I set mine to 50% as a "quicky" solution to my overcharging problem. I did not do the calculations (they are simple, just know the max charge rate of the inverter and the amp/hrs) but they documented out there somewhere.

If nothing else, increase it until the batts start to boil then back it down 10% at a time until it quits boiling.

BTW, the percentage I'm talking about is settable only if you have the optional enhanced control panel for the Magnum converter.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #23

Boo,
That control panel came with my '08 coach. When I checked the other day, the charge rate was set at 100% so I backed it down to 80%. Would like to find out what that means, exactly. I had some of the white corrosion build up and got rid of most of it with the battery pads. Hopefully, by backing down to 80% that will eliminate it completely.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Boo,
That control panel came with my '08 coach. When I checked the other day, the charge rate was set at 100% so I backed it down to 80%. Would like to find out what that means, exactly. I had some of the white corrosion build up and got rid of most of it with the battery pads. Hopefully, by backing down to 80% that will eliminate it completely.
Tom
If 80% stops all the out-gassing and corrosion buildup, then you should be good to go. Otherwise cut it down to 70%, etc until the problem is gone. I will check my docs on how to determine the exact % setting from calculations.

Boowho??
Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #25

follow up

This is directly from the Magnum Remote Control owner's manual. Perhaps it will help clear up the confusion regarding setting the charge rate percentage.

You will note that you may need to study up on how fast your battery manufacturer recommends you charge you batteries. Of course you'll also need the total amp/hrs of your complete battery stack.

This is all I know, so don't expect any further guidance from me.

What is posted below is all I know. And I'm not even CERTAIN what it all means, but I think I sort of understand.

Boowho??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	part 1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	33652   Click image for larger version

Name:	part 2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	33653  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #26
Denver, CO

bizzarre...

that is limiting the max charge rate below the maximum for 120 amps. it does not say anything about the float voltage or current rate.

The best equipment have temperature sensor that go on the positive pole of the battery and limit the current during the bulk charging portion of the cycle.

120 amps is quite a bit and could pretty well overheat a battery bank if it is smaller than say 1000 or so AH.. Not to familiar with Berkshires, so can't comment much, but limiting the current could work if that is what is producing the gassing. The usual problem is to much float voltage that cooks the batteries, and this setting would not affect that.

http://www.tekrispower.com/pdfs/xant...20Charging.pdf
Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #27

Battery Strap Suggestion

My straps broke down in 1.5 yr; even after trying to protect the metal parts with electrical spray.

I did some local searching for straps to no avail. Taking a page from my Toro rider, I installed 24 inch long solid rubber bungee cords, which are stretched to 27 inch. Finding the right length is critical. Found mine at The Home Depot
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote