Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #1

Be mindful of your RV while driving

[ATTACH]243958

This happened yesterday in a town close to me, driver was flagged down while he was driving down the highway with his coach on fire. Total loss on the coach and his new truck. Thankful occupants made it out ok. [ATTACH]243959
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	243958  
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:18 AM   #2

Tragic

That’s no good.
Can we get details?
Trappfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #3

Looks scary
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #4

dont have a pic. of it . big diesel pusher pulled out of KOA here in amarillo. turned west bound and didn't see semi east bound. hit it mid section. all that was left was front seats and generator. and a bare chassie. no windshield got there as they were sweeping up the left overs. never heard what happened to driver.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #5

Scary stuff for sure!!

The DW and I was at Pigeon Forge a few weeks ago and while watching the local news late at night, I saw this commercial and it shows a fifth wheel completely engulfed in flames! No one knows what caused it and the driver had to have CPR.

Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #6

Situational Awareness.

I was going to write a long dissertation.

But never mind. Scan the road, mirrors and gauges. Eyes moving constantly.
56 years driving. No accidents. Except being rear ended. Yeah I know. Did not see that coming huh
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #7

Hindsight is nearly always 20/20 it seems.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #8

looks like a refrigerator fire. sure made me mad when they recalled them to stop them from catching fire when they leak, instead of fixing the problem and preventing the leak.

I did join the class action on this one. I think it paid me about $500 over 3 years, plus extended the warranty on the one I had.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:48 PM   #9

Inattentive driving ..... leads to no good

Strictly speculation perhaps all DOA.

The truck driver is required to have a CDL A. Pulling a TT or driving MH requires just a plain old DL. Yet they all require a specialized knowledge for safe operation. How many here have taken a driving skills and or improvement course applicable for the rig your pulling/steering??

We've all seen stupid drivers that are alive only because of the defensive skills of the other driver.

I've earned a DL Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D, & Class M endorsements. Always improving my skills. Always on the lookout for the other driver, for it is that driver that could ruin my day. I earn a living on my CDL A, the recklessness of others could cost me my ability to earn a pay check.

Please drive defensively, your life and the lives of others depend on it.

Be safe.
Richard in Milwaukee
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #10

??????

[QUOTE=glsimms;2459767]Scary stuff for sure!!

No one knows what caused it and the driver had to have CPR.[QUOTE=glsimms;2459767]

Coming to rest under a bridge, ahhhhh not a good idea.
But we don't know details that lead up to the unfortunate event.

Richard in Milwaukee
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:40 AM   #11
Back On The Go

[QUOTE=Richy R;2460000]Strictly speculation perhaps all DOA.

The truck driver is required to have a CDL A. Pulling a TT or driving MH requires just a plain old DL. Yet they all require a specialized knowledge for safe operation. How many here have taken a driving skills and or improvement course applicable for the rig your pulling/steering??

My wife and I.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #12

My last RV was a diesel pusher (Monaco) and since it had air brakes, in my state a non-commercial Class B license is required, not a standard DL.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy R View Post
Strictly speculation perhaps all DOA.

We've all seen stupid drivers that are alive only because of the defensive skills of the other driver.

I've earned a DL Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D, & Class M endorsements. Always improving my skills. Always on the lookout for the other driver, for it is that driver that could ruin my day. I earn a living on my CDL A, the recklessness of others could cost me my ability to earn a pay check.

Please drive defensively, your life and the lives of others depend on it.

Be safe.
Richard in Milwaukee

I myself have a valid Class A CDL and current medical card.
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #14

[QUOTE=Richy R;2460001][QUOTE=glsimms;2459767]Scary stuff for sure!!

No one knows what caused it and the driver had to have CPR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post

Coming to rest under a bridge, ahhhhh not a good idea.
But we don't know details that lead up to the unfortunate event.

Richard in Milwaukee

I remember from years ago, a gas tanker flipped and caught fire under the I-675 bridge over I-75 north of Saginaw MI. Flames melted the steel beams under the deck and this was 30-40 feet up! The intersection has two levels of bridge and the heat got the top bridge. Road was closed until they repaired it.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #15

RV Fire Precaution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
[ATTACH]243958

This happened yesterday in a town close to me, driver was flagged down while he was driving down the highway with his coach on fire. Total loss on the coach and his new truck. Thankful occupants made it out ok. [ATTACH]243959
A good example of why you should keep your propane tank valve closed while driving. Propane fires on the highway are frequent.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #16
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
A good example of why you should keep your propane tank valve closed while driving. Propane fires on the highway are frequent.
In June of 1984 we witnessed the remnants of fire at a Sinclair Station in Sheridan,WY that had happened the day before. A waitress at a local diner told us that the fire was caused by an RV pilot light. The damage was tremendous. Looked like a bomb had been dropped on the station. Even cars parked across the street in a super market parking lot were burnt to a crisp. Five souls perished in that mishap.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:52 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
And where does it say that was a propane fire? Looks like an engine fire — and those things don’t run their engines on propane.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy R View Post
How many here have taken a driving skills and or improvement course applicable for the rig your pulling/steering??
I have an endorsement for fire apparatus, including ladder trucks.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #19

Engine Fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
And where does it say that was a propane fire? Looks like an engine fire — and those things don’t run their engines on propane.
How does it look like and engine fire? For one thing, pushers have engines in the rear and this fire is in the center where the propane tanks are usually mounted. Also diesel engines are not prone to fires since they use a non-volatile fuel.

Propane is a gas and if there is a leak it can fill the RV's interior quickly. Then, all it takes is a spark or a small flame. That's why the law requires RVs to have propane sensors but they are not totally reliable.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:05 PM   #20

Usual (most common fire)

Per the RV insurance industry figures I saw somewhere, the most common cause of RV fires is the good ol' absorption LP / electric fridge. And with the fire about in the middle of the coach, where the kitchen typically is, I'm guessing here's another one.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote