RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
I-RV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,024
Bed Slide Problem

My bed slide just started a mechanical problem. Upon bringing it in, at the end of its travel a loud banging sound occurred and stopped upon releasing the In Switch. I then lifted the bed to inspect the electrical drive mechanism. I had my DW extend the slide and when it reach the end of its travel, the noise occurred again and I could see the gear slipping cogs in a gear rack which it engages. I see where the motor drives a gear box and the output of the gear box has a large gear which engages with the gear rack.

The next problem was when trying to bring the bed in, the slide would not come in and the gear ratcheting started again.

Before I dig into this further, I thought to check with my forum buddy's and see if anyone had this problem and most of all if anyone has some solutions. Thank's in advance for any help.
__________________
Gale & Hank- 2012 Berkshire 390BH
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
My bed slide just started a mechanical problem. Upon bringing it in, at the end of its travel a loud banging sound occurred and stopped upon releasing the In Switch. I then lifted the bed to inspect the electrical drive mechanism. I had my DW extend the slide and when it reach the end of its travel, the noise occurred again and I could see the gear slipping cogs in a gear rack which it engages. I see where the motor drives a gear box and the output of the gear box has a large gear which engages with the gear rack.

The next problem was when trying to bring the bed in, the slide would not come in and the gear ratcheting started again.

Before I dig into this further, I thought to check with my forum buddy's and see if anyone had this problem and most of all if anyone has some solutions. Thank's in advance for any help.
My rack and pinion bed did the same thing. I got under there and loosened the bolts holding the motor assembly; pushed it upward to engage the teeth better and re-tightened the bolts.

The slots for those bolts that allow the up and down motion probably need to be elongated a bit so the rack/pinion engage even better. Mine STILL "jumps the track" sometimes.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
I-RV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,024
Thank you for the advice. I presume that you accessed the motor after lifting the bed and through the small opening.
__________________
Gale & Hank- 2012 Berkshire 390BH
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
I-RV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,024
Boowho, thank's for pointing me in the right direction. I did fix the Bed Slide problem and will describe the fix for others that may encounter this problem.

I took the board off that is under the bed and encloses the slide mechanism and breaker panel. I have attached three pictures; one showing the gear and rack, one showing the four bolts holding the gear assembly and one showing the bolt slot (a bolt is shown without the washers to illustrate the slot).

I found that all four bolts where not very tight. I loosened them more and pried the motor up. The gear assembly did not move. I then momentarily depressed the slide IN switch to get the gear tooth moved from hitting a rack tooth. Then with another pry, I saw the gear assembly go up. While keeping the gear assembly up, I tightened the four bolts. I caution anyone doing this, that the bolts go into a casting which cannot take a lot of torque. There should really be a torque specification for this, which I do not have. Prior to tightening the bolts, I took each one out and applied Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 which is a removable thread lock.

I hate to say this, but this is a manufacture quality issue. I will make Randy aware of this problem.

Furthermore, the mesh of the gear and rack should not be very loose or very tight. In the manufacturer's assembly of these parts, they probably can achieve the correct mesh. However, doing it in the RV is pure SWAG.

I hope this helps those with this problem,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear and Rack.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	42977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear Box Bolts.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	42978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt Slots.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	42979  
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Thanks for the nice post. Very helpful for when mine acts up. It seems like we all have similar issues at some point.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Boowho, thank's for pointing me in the right direction. I did fix the Bed Slide problem and will describe the fix for others that may encounter this problem.
You are more than welcome; and thank YOU for the detailed description of how you fixed it. I'm going to have to do mine again one of these days.

boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
It seems like we all have similar issues at some point.
Funny how it works that way isn't it??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
Thanks I-RV for pioneering this fix; great instructions and pics. Getting the tools to do this myself.
Redleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
2011 Berkshire 390BH
 
Superchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lancaster, NY
Posts: 1,063
I recently had to replace the motor that operates the bed slide. I had not had any issues with the slide, until I noticed that the slide had creeped out while driving. I tired to put it back in electrically, but it wouldn't move even though I could hear the motor running. I pushed it back-in from the outside and locked it closed with a slide lock. I reviewed the prior posts on the slide not operating and thought it might be loose bolts that hold the motor in place. My first task was to try and figure how to get to the motor. I lifted up the bed, taking the mattress off the bed. I found that I needed to remove the board that was covering the compartment under the bed, but the slide needs to be out. Sitting on the floor, I was able to push the slide out with my legs. Removing the wood cover, I was able to access the motor. I did find some of the bolts holding the motor were somewhat loose. I did ensure that the gear on the motor was engaging the slide teeth. Tried the electric motor again, no movement, even though the motor was running. Ended up taking the motor out to see if the gear turned, which it did when energized. Put the motor back-in, didn't work. Took the motor out again and took to the dealer for advice. They said the screws on the gear housing were loose. Tightened them, put the motor back-in, which is not an easy process in such a tight space, slide didn't move. I knew that the shear pins had not broken, per the service department at the dealership. Ended up having the service department order a new motor, as they felt that there must be a problem in the gear box, when you put a load on the motor. Cost of a new motor is $780. Extended warranty covered that. I was able to install the new motor and everything now works. Lessons learned: 1). You can not tighten the two top bolts holding the motor in place, with a socket. You need a 1/2 inch box end wrench (short handle); 2). You need a mechanics mirror to ensure that the teeth of the motor gear are engaged with the slide teeth, and a light to reflect up, to see this. 3). You need a mechanics magnet in order to put the flat washers in place between the motor and the mounting plate. Do the back ones first. I got real good at doing this the third time. 4). I could have used smaller fingers and hands, as the space where the motor goes is really small. 5). Take a picture of how the wires hook up before you disconnect them. Helps when you go to reconnect. I have attached pictures of what things look like under the bed, if you are thinking of trying this yourself. Hope this helps someone in the future.


Sent from my iPadClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399215909.170370.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	51562 compartment coverClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399216013.076399.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	51563 motor
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399216058.699382.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	51564 motor number
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399216120.597820.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	51565 use smaller wrench for top bolts
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399216207.243801.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	51566 motor out


Also see pictures in prior post to see mounting bts.
__________________
Craig



Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Thanks for the nice write up Craig. It seems everyone will deal with a slide issue at some point. Hopefully your problem wasn't at a time that you needed to have the MH in use.
It's interesting that your bed base is so much different than mine. It looks like you have storage on the left side. My base takes up the entire space with no place for any storage.
Glad that you have it fixed and that your warranty covered the parts for you.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,325
Craig,
X2!! on the write up. Too bad it took so many 'in and out' tries to get the fix done.

Phil,
The space on the left is not storage but is where the 'hatch' that would need to be raised to get to engine compartment from the top.
Tom
__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
That's why mine is different. It seems like a lot if wasted space.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
I recently had to replace the motor that operates the bed slide. I had not had any issues with the slide, until I noticed that the slide had creeped out while driving. I tired to put it back in electrically, but it wouldn't move even though I could hear the motor running. I pushed it back-in from the outside and locked it closed with a slide lock. I reviewed the prior posts on the slide not operating and thought it might be loose bolts that hold the motor in place. My first task was to try and figure how to get to the motor. I lifted up the bed, taking the mattress off the bed. I found that I needed to remove the board that was covering the compartment under the bed, but the slide needs to be out. Sitting on the floor, I was able to push the slide out with my legs. Removing the wood cover, I was able to access the motor. I did find some of the bolts holding the motor were somewhat loose. I did ensure that the gear on the motor was engaging the slide teeth. Tried the electric motor again, no movement, even though the motor was running. Ended up taking the motor out to see if the gear turned, which it did when energized. Put the motor back-in, didn't work. Took the motor out again and took to the dealer for advice. They said the screws on the gear housing were loose. Tightened them, put the motor back-in, which is not an easy process in such a tight space, slide didn't move. I knew that the shear pins had not broken, per the service department at the dealership. Ended up having the service department order a new motor, as they felt that there must be a problem in the gear box, when you put a load on the motor. Cost of a new motor is $780. Extended warranty covered that. I was able to install the new motor and everything now works. Lessons learned: 1). You can not tighten the two top bolts holding the motor in place, with a socket. You need a 1/2 inch box end wrench (short handle); 2). You need a mechanics mirror to ensure that the teeth of the motor gear are engaged with the slide teeth, and a light to reflect up, to see this. 3). You need a mechanics magnet in order to put the flat washers in place between the motor and the mounting plate. Do the back ones first. I got real good at doing this the third time. 4). I could have used smaller fingers and hands, as the space where the motor goes is really small. 5). Take a picture of how the wires hook up before you disconnect them. Helps when you go to reconnect. I have attached pictures of what things look like under the bed, if you are thinking of trying this yourself. Hope this helps someone in the future.


Sent from my iPadAttachment 51562 compartment coverAttachment 51563 motor
Attachment 51564 motor number
Attachment 51565 use smaller wrench for top bolts
Attachment 51566 motor out


Also see pictures in prior post to see mounting bts.
I have done mine three times now, and it still slips back down.

Thinking that the bolts may be "bottoming" in the cast housing before there's enough tension to hold, I put several washers under each bolt; Slightly shorter bolts would have accomplished the same thing.

Sadly, the damn thing STILL slipped back down. Next I'm going to try some sort of turnbuckle/screw jack wedged between the motor and the floor. I'm pretty much out of any more ideas.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
2011 Berkshire 390BH
 
Superchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lancaster, NY
Posts: 1,063
Boohoo, mine also had a lock washers and star type washers on the head side of the bolt (outside the frame). Blue Lock-tite might also work on the bolt. Craig
__________________
Craig



Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
Boohoo, mine also had a lock washers and star type washers on the head side of the bolt (outside the frame). Blue Lock-tite might also work on the bolt. Craig
I just bought a 2 ton hydraulic jack for $20. I'm going to use it to put a very slight upward force on the motor/housing. Maybe THAT will keep it from slipping again.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
2011 Berkshire 390BH
 
Superchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lancaster, NY
Posts: 1,063
Boohoo, Just be careful as there is a shaft on the other end of the motor.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399241678.972003.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	51610. Craig
__________________
Craig



Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
Boohoo, Just be careful as there is a shaft on the other end of the motor.Attachment 51610. Craig

I will Craig..... Thanks.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Hallen01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 102
Not having been on the forum in a while, I had a little time on my hands and was perusing the Berkshire threads today, and I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight about systems failures I've been lucky enough not to have had ... yet.

Although everything is working properly at the moment and I get great support from Randy and Mitch and have been out to meet them, there are some issues I hope I never see, e.g. slides that skip or slip out, a plugged up rear toilet macerator, or computer/engines/instrument shutdown while driving.

All of you have done an excellent job, especially on the slides issue: troubleshooting, determining the fix, and documenting the fix with description and photos. IR-V told me about this one during our past breakfast meets, but this is the first time I actually got around to reading this thread, and a couple of others. Well done!
Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallen01 View Post
Not having been on the forum in a while, I had a little time on my hands and was perusing the Berkshire threads today, and I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight about systems failures I've been lucky enough not to have had ... yet.

Although everything is working properly at the moment and I get great support from Randy and Mitch and have been out to meet them, there are some issues I hope I never see, e.g. slides that skip or slip out, a plugged up rear toilet macerator, or computer/engines/instrument shutdown while driving.

All of you have done an excellent job, especially on the slides issue: troubleshooting, determining the fix, and documenting the fix with description and photos. IR-V told me about this one during our past breakfast meets, but this is the first time I actually got around to reading this thread, and a couple of others. Well done!
Glad to be of help!!! If it CAN go wrong, it WILL go wrong on MY coach!!!!



Actually, I feel that my Berk has been quite reliable, in general. I bought a previously titled (although never used) coach, so could have been a real problem, if lots of things went wrong.

These things are built by a crew that includes 95% outstanding attitudes; but I'd guess there are 5% that could care less about quality. Kinda like all products in general, I guess.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
jmgllt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 138
Very good info!
jmgllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.