Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2022, 02:33 PM   #1
RRS

Bedroom slide motor gearbox option

I'm working on a 2020 Berkshire 40e bedroom slide with the same bad gear as oscarvan. I decided to try a motor gearbox I found on Amazon for $159.99 and it works with one modification. Part number 523900 by Gagsu.
The 4 mounting bolt holes are an exact match for spacing and thread size. The motor gearbox is a little bit slower at 9 rpm vs 17 rpm for the KMG K01348F500 original equipment. The gearbox is about a 1/4" thicker and the 1/4" hole in the shaft isnt in the correct place.... I reversed the gear on the new shaft with the pin closest to the gearbox and as close to the gearbox without rubbing and drilled a new 1/4" hole using the drive gear as a jig..... wasn't as hard as it sounds.. took about 20 minutes.... works perfect.... I hope the thicker gearbox has bigger gears than the OEM junk. The gear meshes with the track dead on center.... better than the OEM which wasn't aligned very well.

Fyi.... push the slide all the way out to remove the wood cover for access to the motor gearbox. 1/2" wrench for the 2 top bolts and 1/2" socket for the 2 bottom bolts.... use a square bit for the wood screws.
RRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:36 AM   #2

Bedroom slide

What did you use for lubricant?
Trappfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:51 AM   #3

Many of us have that same slide and will face the issue sooner or later. I would love to see some pictures of your mod.
caflorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:15 AM   #4
Diesel Rep West Coast

Thank You for sharing, seems like a great alternative solution for the bed slide gear issue people have had.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:54 AM   #5
RRS

The gear to track was dry so I left it dry... no lube. I did treat the seals with 3x slide seal conditioner.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:00 PM   #6
RRS

Here's a picture of the broken gear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220505_203517.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	273068  
Old 05-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #7
RRS

Here's a picture of the original motor/ gearbox part number and a glimpse of the drive gear that has to be swapped to the new motor / gearbox
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220505_202258.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	273069  
Old 05-11-2022, 01:14 PM   #8
RRS

Here's a picture of the old motor / gearbox with the grive gear removed.... the pointer Is pointing to where a new 1/4" hole needs to be drilled with the drive gear reversed and a few thousands away from the housing.... measure your unit... it may be different than mine.... other than drilling the hole , this motor /gearbox bolts right in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220511_115735.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	273071  
Old 05-11-2022, 03:00 PM   #9

Thank you for the posts of the mod. I saved your pictures for future use.
caflorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:18 PM   #10

Bedroom slide

The key to solving this ongoing issue is in your opening statement. “ better than the OEM which wasn't aligned very well”.
This alignment is critical. If the final drive and the rack are not fully meshed the the teeth do not transition from one cog to the next properly. This condition is exaggerated when the drive is under load from an unusual force eg. the slide encounters and obstruction such as something in the slide path or the seal is frozen from freezing rain or even the extra load at the end of travel, in or out. The sudden excessive load may chip the final drive but more likely a weaker internal gear tooth failure occurs.
If there is an audible clunk when open or closing the slide THAT is the indication that the final drive is not aligned.
See attached picture and not the wear marks on the teeth. That final drive was barely catching the rack.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	77B84972-CB8A-4D5A-9477-5A6DB350FA88.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	273088  
Old 05-11-2022, 08:21 PM   #11

See this posting from a couple months ago.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ng-247044.html
Old 05-11-2022, 08:45 PM   #12
RRS

Trappfarmer, I agree, perfect alignment, well lubed seals, etc...
Anything that can allow the motor / gearbox to work the least is imperative. The controls should have the ability to sense load (amp draw) to shut the motor off if it's working harder than the gears can handle... its shame this KMG motor / gearbox is such light duty and cost so much. This Berkshire is a year and a half old... this is rediculous. This covid built unit has a multitude of other crazy issues. Who mounts a horn an inch above the windshield washer reservoir ? I could go on and on. Obviously these units aren't inspected before leaving the plant.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:52 PM   #13
Diesel Rep West Coast

Have you tried reaching out to our service department over any of the issue you are having? And yes every unit is inspected before it leaves the plant. the big thing is that RV's are heavily man made... have you ever been to the plant, would be open to giving you a tour and letting you see how the RV is built.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:59 AM   #14

If that motor doesn't work here is the info to order an OEM part:
Equalizer Systems: 574-264-3437. When we replaced our slide motor it was $691.19
Good Luck.... cheaper parts aren't always a time or money saver in the long run....
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:06 PM   #15

Eric B,

I am attempting to repair the bedroom slide motor/gearbox on a 2019 Berkshire 39A as it has stopped moving the slide. I am unable to access the slide motor/gearbox from inside or outside the coach with the slide in. How do you suggest getting access to the slide motor? Thanks.
Macungie, PA
Rainmanpsu90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:37 PM   #16
RRS

If you can hear the motor running, have somebody attempt to open the slide while you push it out. Or lift or remove the mattress, sq bit remove the wood in the center under the bed, the gearbox motor is close to the headboard of the bed. Use 1/2" wrench for the two 2 bolts and a ratchet and 1/2" socket on the bottom 2 bolts. Its possible the bolts came loose and the gearbox motor assembly dropped a 1/4" or so away from the gear track on the slide. You need a long pry bar to pry the gearbox motor assembly up to match the slide gear track. Good luck ! It's not really that difficult after you kinda see how it works... or doesn't?
Old 04-27-2023, 09:10 AM   #17
Commercial Member

I would check the 30A mini breaker in the back by the inverter; if that checks out then you would have to check the motor itself.Here is how to access the bedslide motor; You can access the bed slide motor by lifting the bed, under there will be MDF boards that are screwed down.Remove the screws and pull the board up the motor should be visible once those boards are removed.
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:27 AM   #18
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmanpsu90 View Post
Eric B,

I am attempting to repair the bedroom slide motor/gearbox on a 2019 Berkshire 39A as it has stopped moving the slide. I am unable to access the slide motor/gearbox from inside or outside the coach with the slide in. How do you suggest getting access to the slide motor? Thanks.
is the motor working at all? Do you hear any sound when you push the button? If so Have someone push the slide out while you hold the out button on the motor. If not I would run the other side slide out and remove the mattress and then remove the bed base, which should be plywood. Then remove the access cover to the motor... u wont have the most pace but the motor is held in the place by 4 screws, I believe lincman might have shared.. disconnect the motor and you should be able to push the slide out.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:39 PM   #19

Bedroom slide

There's another thread out there that I posted to some time ago. I included photos and what I determined was the fix.

To paraphrase the old motorcyclist saying... There are those who have had bedroom slide issues and people who are going to have bedroom slide issues. since I applied my fix the slide has been nothing but smooth.
Old 06-24-2023, 02:56 PM   #20

this worked great

thanks for the tips RSS. using the existing gear as a guide from both sides on the gagnu amazon unit was key as well as a good set of drill bits up to 1/4" for the roll pin installation. cutting and splicing on the pigtails for the relays was easy and make sure you have a good stick to prop your bed up if it has all those extra pillows all over if and/or the struts are weak. push the slide out with brute force if the unit has broken.. It slid very easy for mine, since the gearbox not only broke one of the four mounting ears off, but also started splitting in half and stripping the screws holding the case halves of the gearbox together. it slid easily enough to open up while doing a roundabout freeway onramp in Missouri.

Happy Trails,

Brian
Big Bri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, bedroom slide, motor, roo, slide