Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

Berk fridge leak

Bringing up an old thread just because I am now dealing with the problem. Whirlpool will not any longer just send the replacement part without having a tech come out and diagnose the problem. Just spent 45 minutes on the phone to find that out. I found it on amazon, so I am going to do the repair myself. Has anyone pulled a fridge out from a 390FL
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...A35XSR3OYSMA4J

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

Rich,

Just looked up a 390FL online and saw that your refrigerator is flat on the floor and not raised up like mine is in the 390BH so I can't really help here. If yours is raised up like mine is, then the following is useful. Otherwise, disregard!
Tom

I just removed mine because I had a leak. I wasn't getting any ice build up in the bottom of the freezer. Do you get that ice built up? If so, then it probably is the p-trap. I was just getting water on the floor and when I shut the water supply off in the bathroom, the leak stopped.
Where is your refrigerator located? Mine is located mid-ship on the passenger side and is raised off the floor about 1'. If yours is same, then it is definitely a 2 man job.
I had to get to heavy milk crates and a piece of carpet to put them on (this is so you can slide the refrigerator once it is out and on the crates). Then I had to remove the freezer drawer and the right door on the refrigerator. There are clips on the plastic freezer drawers inside that need to be pushed in in order to remove the drawer. Then there are 4 screws (2 on each side) that need to be loosened and the drawer front will lift off. Then there are 3 screws on the bottom hinge of the door and 3 on the top - but there is a plastic piece covering the top hinge. It is held in place by a screw in the middle of that plastic piece. Once that is off you can take the top hinge off. Also, on mine, there were 2 screws that are screwed in at an angle on the bottom metal frame of the refrigerator into the shelf flooring that is holding the refrigerator up. Mine also had 2 plates on the bottom front of the refrigerator that are screwed into the refrigerator and the frame of cabinet. Once all that is off, you should be able to work the refrigerator out. I had to remove the left side molding in order to get enough room to slide the refrigerator out. You have to slide it out a little and angle it a little toward the front of the coach. Keep doing that until it is clear of the cabinet and then you can rest it on the milk crates. I found a hole in water tube that feeds the ice maker. I think it got pinched from the refrigerator rocking back and forth slightly every time we hit a bounce or opened and closed the door.
It sounds like a complicated process but it is fairly easy. Just slow.
Hope you get yours taken care of.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Rich,

Just looked up a 390FL online and saw that your refrigerator is flat on the floor and not raised up like mine is in the 390BH so I can't really help here. If yours is raised up like mine is, then the following is useful. Otherwise, disregard!
Tom

I just removed mine because I had a leak. I wasn't getting any ice build up in the bottom of the freezer. Do you get that ice built up? If so, then it probably is the p-trap. I was just getting water on the floor and when I shut the water supply off in the bathroom, the leak stopped.
Where is your refrigerator located? Mine is located mid-ship on the passenger side and is raised off the floor about 1'. If yours is same, then it is definitely a 2 man job.
I had to get to heavy milk crates and a piece of carpet to put them on (this is so you can slide the refrigerator once it is out and on the crates). Then I had to remove the freezer drawer and the right door on the refrigerator. There are clips on the plastic freezer drawers inside that need to be pushed in in order to remove the drawer. Then there are 4 screws (2 on each side) that need to be loosened and the drawer front will lift off. Then there are 3 screws on the bottom hinge of the door and 3 on the top - but there is a plastic piece covering the top hinge. It is held in place by a screw in the middle of that plastic piece. Once that is off you can take the top hinge off. Also, on mine, there were 2 screws that are screwed in at an angle on the bottom metal frame of the refrigerator into the shelf flooring that is holding the refrigerator up. Mine also had 2 plates on the bottom front of the refrigerator that are screwed into the refrigerator and the frame of cabinet. Once all that is off, you should be able to work the refrigerator out. I had to remove the left side molding in order to get enough room to slide the refrigerator out. You have to slide it out a little and angle it a little toward the front of the coach. Keep doing that until it is clear of the cabinet and then you can rest it on the milk crates. I found a hole in water tube that feeds the ice maker. I think it got pinched from the refrigerator rocking back and forth slightly every time we hit a bounce or opened and closed the door.
It sounds like a complicated process but it is fairly easy. Just slow.
Hope you get yours taken care of.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Tom

Thanks, Tom. Mine is on the floor slide on carpet, mid coach, street side, back of slide. Probably only a quarter of an inch space on each side. I am having the leak related to the defrost cycle, so I have ordered the p-trap from amazon. No help from whirlpool. My main concern is if I have enough ice maker line available to pull out the fridge without ripping the line off. Is the water line copper or pex? I am thinking of using furniture sliders under the fridge when I pull it out. Why did you need to pull of the drawer and door? Was it because of your height issue or does that make it easier to pull the unit out? Thanks for the response. Hope all is well with you. Looking forward to Goshen!

Rich
Old 05-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #4

Rich,
You should have plenty of water line to allow you to pull the refrigerator out without a problem. There was more than enough behind mine. The water line in 1/4" plastic- I think it is just polyethylene. I wish mine was on the floor. I would have made the job a whole lot easier. I needed to remove the door and freezer drawer because the handles were in the way and I didn't have enough room to get the refrigerator out past the corner of the cabinet where my mid-ship tv is located.
Definitely looking forward to seeing you in Goshen.
Good luck, have fun with the refrige repair and safe travels.
Tom

Old 05-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #5

Tom, got the moonshine ready, pal. Have a good holiday!

Rich
Old 05-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #6

Rich, I just did mine a couple weeks ago. Mine is also in the slide. Under the little cover on front that pops off, there are a couple of feet that you adjust up off the floor and then it will roll out easily.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #7

Thanks, Dan. I'll fill you guys in with the progress.

Rich
Old 05-27-2016, 06:12 AM   #8

Berk fridge leak

Ok I've pulled mine twice. Once whirlpool had a tech do it and once I did it.

After you pull the plastic cover under the freezer door you will see a height adjustment device on each front corner. These are screwed into the floor with two or three small wood screws each. And then screw onto the frig with four screws.

Remove both those levelers and then you can slide frig out. This thing is tight in the hole!! There is plenty of water line and electric cord to get it out.

The tech had a piece of 1/8" plastic that he laid down to set it on. I pulled it out last winter and put new carpet in coach. I just slid it out onto the tile. Worked ok. It is so tight a fit that it will take two people to move it I would guess.

Mine is an FL.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:32 AM   #9

One thing I forgot to tell you, which was actually the hardest part. There was an L-shaped angle bracket across the top of the fridge. It had three screws that went into the wood Trim.
I had to put about three extensions Electric screwdriver to be able to reach them.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
One thing I forgot to tell you, which was actually the hardest part. There was an L-shaped angle bracket across the top of the fridge. It had three screws that went into the wood Trim.

Mine did not have any bracket across the top.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Mine did not have any bracket across the top.

Russell
Russell, I checked mine yesterday and didn't see a bracket on top. In fact, I added a bracket to the side because I had one instance where the fridge wanted to come out during a turn.

Rich
Old 05-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #12

Dan,
Was the bracket attached to the refrigerator or just to the trim?
Tom

Old 05-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #13

Rich,
Sounds good to me!!
You have a great holiday as well.
Tom

Old 05-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Dan,
Was the bracket attached to the refrigerator or just to the trim?
Tom
It was half ass glued to the top of the refrigerator also but really wasn't holding anything. I put some double stick tape on it when I reinstalled it.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Ok I've pulled mine twice. Once whirlpool had a tech do it and once I did it.

After you pull the plastic cover under the freezer door you will see a height adjustment device on each front corner. These are screwed into the floor with two or three small wood screws each. And then screw onto the frig with four screws.

Remove both those levelers and then you can slide frig out. This thing is tight in the hole!! There is plenty of water line and electric cord to get it out.

The tech had a piece of 1/8" plastic that he laid down to set it on. I pulled it out last winter and put new carpet in coach. I just slid it out onto the tile. Worked ok. It is so tight a fit that it will take two people to move it I would guess.

Mine is an FL.

Russell

Got the fridge out. Thanks for the info on the wood screws. I'd still be trying to pull it out. Came out fairly easily after that. Had to shimmy out through the tight space. Part is coming tomorrow so I'll replace it then.

Rich
Old 05-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Got the fridge out. Thanks for the info on the wood screws. I'd still be trying to pull it out. Came out fairly easily after that. Had to shimmy out through the tight space. Part is coming tomorrow so I'll replace it then.

Rich
Rich I called Whirlpool about 2 months ago I guess and couldn't get them to come out and do the change be the guy said he would send me the part at no cost, which I rec'd. about 3 weeks ago. Haven't had any problem with it yet, just wanted the upgrade. So I have the part and wait for if and when it starts to leak.
Joe

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #17

Berk fridge leak

Silly philosophy Joe, it's like the roof leaks when it rains. But, no need to fix it when it's sunny because it's not leaking.

2015 XL 40QL
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Silly philosophy Joe, it's like the roof leaks when it rains. But, no need to fix it when it's sunny because it's not leaking.

2015 XL 40QL
I don't see it as the same. When it starts to leak ( the fridge ) it will always leak whether it's raining or not.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
I don't see it as the same. When it starts to leak ( the fridge ) it will always leak whether it's raining or not.

Just change the damn "P" trap before it starts leaking and be done with it🤓😜

2015 XL 40QL
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #20

Just finished. Not as bad as I thought. Did all of the work myself. Thanks for all of the advice. Boy, that space is tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464463174144.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	109350   Click image for larger version

Name:	1464463189485.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	109351   Click image for larger version

Name:	1464463205582.jpg
Views:	130