Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #1

Berk wouldn't fire

The other day we pulled into a rest area and upon leaving our Berk would not start, it turned over fine but would not fire. I contacted FL help and during the time on the phone, I made several attempts and no joy. Mark, at FL was looking for a mobile tech to come to our location. After more than an hour and a couple of additional attempts, it actually started. We decided to continue to our destination, fueling while leaving engine running one time. After fueling as we were accelerating up the on ramp, the check engine light came on and temp gauge almost pegged, as I backed off and looking to pull over, the fan kicked in high and brought temp down and check engine light extinguished, and performed fine the rest of the way.
I got it into a FL service center on Tuesday and they could not duplicate or find any codes indicating anything was wrong. They took it for a test spin also. Now I certainly am glad that there is nothing wrong, but how can I feel confident that this will not repeat itself and maybe in a more remote location. Has anyone experienced this before?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #2

I wish I could comfort you. I know I would feel uneasy. But it would probably prompt me to purchase a code reader so I could pick off the code right away if it happens again.

Best of luck. Here's hoping it never happens again.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

Make sure you check your coolant level. I had mine shut down with coolant just a little low.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #4

Fault codes can be read through Freightliner information display, you may need to find the decryption list.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #5

Did you happen to look at your temp gauge at the rest stop prior to shut down? Last summer I experienced a gradual failure of my cooling fan. You can tell its running by standing behind the coach and feeling strong air flow. From symptom onset to total failure took 9 months.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #6

Had this similar situation happen on a older Safari Serengetti with a CAT engine. I'm sure it isn't what is happening to you exactly but, we found a fuel line that had a very, very small leak in it. It was spraying ever so slightly on the belts causing the water pump to slip and it kept intermittently overheating. It wasn't a gradual overheating, it was fine one minute and then the next the engine light came on, etc. The computers will shut the diesels down though for low coolant as mentioned above.

I'm sure it isn't the exact same thing, but I guess my point is, sometimes it ends up being something you wouldn't expect.

Enjoy your trip!