Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #1

Berkshire 38A newbie question

We are on our first day of our first trip in our new 2015 Berkshire 38A. It feels as though there is a lot of front end vibration, as if the tires need balancing maybe. Also, it almost seems to have a bit of side to side floating feeling. Just wondering if this is normal. Any input is appreciated.
Eustuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #2

Eustuss,
First, welcome to the FORUMS and congrats on your new Berkshire. Hope you have many fun, memorable, and trouble free trips with it!
Next, what brand tires are on your coach? I have Goodyear tires on my Berkshire and had the same issue with mine from the day I picked it up from the dealer. I was going to a campground about 10 miles away to spend the night to check everything out before returning home and noticed the vibration immediately. It turned out that the 2 front tires were out of round. It took me several trips to Freightliner and tire shops having the tires balanced before this was determined and the tires were replaced. I would call the Freightliner helpline and tell them of your issue so that it is on their records. Yours may just be a balancing issue but get it on record with Freightliner.
Good luck.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #3

Eustuss welcome.

First thing is "how much air is in the tires?
Have you checked them?
Old 06-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the response. Dan - tires are all at 120 psi cold.
Tom - sounds like we may be having the same problem you did. We will be sure to contact Freightliner. What did you end replacing the Goodyears with. We currently have Goodyear tires.
2012 Jeep Liberty toad
Old 06-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

120 is at the max which may make the coach ride rough and wander.
It is best to have it weighed and adjust the tire pressure based on the tire manufacturers inflation tables.

For example, after weighing, many of us ended up with about 100 front and 90 rear.

Weighing and adjusting pressure should be your first step before anything else.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #6

Thanks Dan. Sounds like we will start there. Where would we go about having that done?
2012 Jeep Liberty toad
Old 06-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #7

Many truck stops have scales that will give you front and rear weights.
I usually stop at a Loves truck stop near me.

When you get your numbers, post back and we will help with the tire pressure recommendations.

This link will help you find a Cat Scale near you.

CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale

It should be loaded up as if travelling, full of fuel and passengers.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #8

As Dan said, try adjusting your tire pressure. I would bet that you can get away with 100 psi front and rear (unless you are severely overloaded) until you get it weighed. Freightliner authorized the tire replacement and would only replace them with new Goodyear tires because they won't mix brands of tires on the same rig.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #9

Are you running 255 or 275?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:56 PM   #10

We're running 255
2012 Jeep Liberty toad
Old 06-16-2015, 06:59 AM   #11

Ramsey; I sense that you are using the Max Air Pressure labeled on the tires. You should never use that label to inflate any tire, including your car.

I can't reiterate enough what Dan said that you inflate according to weight. Since we do not weigh our cars, you should use the air pressure labeled on the inside driver's door jamb. For your motorhome, weigh it fully loaded (especially with your fresh water) at a truck stop. Then find the tables for your particular tires and find the pressure for your tire weight. All of us can help you there if needed.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #12

I just had a four corner weigh in Gaffney, I was running 115#front and 110# rears. After weigh in they adjusted my tires to 100# front and 95# rears. Handles so much better and rides even better.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
As Dan said, try adjusting your tire pressure. I would bet that you can get away with 100 psi front and rear (unless you are severely overloaded) until you get it weighed. Freightliner authorized the tire replacement and would only replace them with new Goodyear tires because they won't mix brands of tires on the same rig.
You mentioned unless severely overloaded, is it normal to slightly overload?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #14

Thanks everyone! Looks like the best thing to do is weigh this beast. We're on the hunt for the nearest CAT scale currently. Also, will we need to disconnect the tow vehicle to weigh?
Another question, is there a trick to be able to pay for fuel at the pump at the big truck stops? Thanks again!
2012 Jeep Liberty toad
Old 06-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #15

No need to disconnect the toad. It will be on a separate pad. And will be shown separate.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #16

It's good to weigh the toad also as this is part of your GCVW. You have a 2500 transmission so your GCVW is 33000 lbs. your front axle is most likely 10500 with your tires limiting the steer axel to 10400. Double check the numbers as it may be different on you model.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #17
clr

Paying for diesel at the pump seems to be a problem at many truck stops. They are set up for the big rigs with DOT numbers and such, so at many you have to go into the building to either prepay or have them turn on the pump without the DOT numbers. The newer Flying J's have RV only lines where you can pay at the pump, I love them but many of the older J's do not have the RV lanes. My pet peeve at the truck stops are the master slave type pumps where the master is on the right side of my unit, you have to take the hose off the master and throw it on the ground so the slave pump on the left side of my unit will work. This all seems very silly to me and just maybe a little dangerous, but the big rigs fill their tanks from both sides at the same time so I do understand.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Paying for diesel at the pump seems to be a problem at many truck stops. They are set up for the big rigs with DOT numbers and such, so at many you have to go into the building to either prepay or have them turn on the pump without the DOT numbers. The newer Flying J's have RV only lines where you can pay at the pump, I love them but many of the older J's do not have the RV lanes. My pet peeve at the truck stops are the master slave type pumps where the master is on the right side of my unit, you have to take the hose off the master and throw it on the ground so the slave pump on the left side of my unit will work. This all seems very silly to me and just maybe a little dangerous, but the big rigs fill their tanks from both sides at the same time so I do understand.

Not sure what you are asking here but you might want to start a new post. To answer what I think you are asking I have a RV Pilot card and I use a made up PIN number for the dot number. I can fill from either side so the pump side makes no difference to me. You are filling your PU truck so you can only fill from one side? Is the flow to much for the filler neck?

Old 06-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #19

My front is 10,260 and rear is 17,280 for a total of 27,540. I could not weigh each wheel but feel that I've distributed load pretty even. Are you guys saying that the cargo plus toad weight is gcvw, for the 38A that is 33,000...does that still count if one is not towing (33,000)?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #20

We have weighed and front axle weight is 10,300 rear is 17,420. Divided 10,300 by 2 for the front and came up with 106 psi based on Goodyear chart for that tires with rear 17,420 divided by 4 and came up with 92 psi from chart. Does this sound about right? Thanks!!
2012 Jeep Liberty toad

Tags
berkshire, newbie