Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2023, 01:25 PM   #21

That's a good question. I have the part but haven't replaced it yet. Planned on replacing it this spring. Before I put it in storage it started working again.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:29 PM   #22
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepardmike View Post
Ok, I am also experiencing the same symptoms. I had to search back to this topic. I ordered the continuous duty 85A solenoid.

Q. Do I need the metal plate or not? Right now, I don't have a plate under the questionable solenoid.
it looks like the plate is a heat shield, depending on what you use for a replacement i would follow the directions of the solenoid. The reason being is the amperage could be more or less in the replacement. we do sell replacement for the solenoid through are parts department. here is the part number

F100305107 SOLENOID, CONTINUOS DUTY SPST 12 VOLT

they can be reached at 574-522-1747.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 03:15 PM   #23

Today I replaced the solenoid with a Cole Hersee 85A 12V DC continuous duty insulated solenoid part number 24059-BP from Advance Auto Parts. Everything on the dash now works, the radio and most importantly the windshield wipers. The radio doesn't turn off with the ignition key or the wipers as before. If I shut off the chassis battery at the battery switch everything works the way it should when you turn the ignition key to the off position. I took a picture before starting and all the wires are hooked up correctly. Before changing the solenoid the wipers didn't work nor did the fans radio or cameras. Now they work even with the key to the ignition off.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on?
Old 06-29-2023, 09:21 AM   #24
2023 Allegro Bus 45OPP

Stuck

Sounds like it's stuck. I would try tapping it with a big screwdriver. It may be defective. I have replaced mine but before, when it was acting up, I would tap it and get it working again.
shepardmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 09:50 AM   #25

Thanks for the reply. I'll try the screw driver trick when it stops raining here. My problem is I'm limited in time to get this solved. Headed out on a long trip next Wednesday. I was able to live with it not working except for the wipers not working. I was able to work around all the other things not working. This is frustrating.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:24 AM   #26
Diesel Rep West Coast

white should be ground red should be ignition power... be careful when cranking down the screws, just tighten them till the are snug, over tightening them can cause the internal rods in the solenoid to bend which can cause it to arc internally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash solenoid.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	289373  
Old 06-29-2023, 11:12 AM   #27

That could be the problem, I probably over tighten the nuts. If I did, does that mean the solenoid is shot? If that's the only problem it's an easy fix. I think I'll back the nuts off first and see what happens.
Old 06-29-2023, 05:29 PM   #28

Well the problem has been solved, Eric was right, don't over crank the nuts down on the solenoid. Bought a new one and carefully screwed the nuts down and everything works. Thank you Eric for your assistance and wisdom.
Old 06-30-2023, 08:19 AM   #29
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer2 View Post
Well the problem has been solved, Eric was right, don't over crank the nuts down on the solenoid. Bought a new one and carefully screwed the nuts down and everything works. Thank you Eric for your assistance and wisdom.
Happy to hear its resolved were you able to get the other one returned?
Old 06-30-2023, 11:57 AM   #30

No, I was so happy to get it fixed, I just through it away. I figure it wasn't working because of me anyway. Again thank you for your assistance.

Tags
berkshire, switch