Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2022, 09:57 PM   #1

Berkshire chassis?

Hello all. As usual I’m always looking for the next possible MH.
My question is about the chassis. I’m looking around the 2013-2019 years. it looks like they use the freight liner XC chassis as well as being a raised rail chassis. Also are these independent front suspension. The freight liner info I found says yes. Just wanted to verify. I don’t want another solid front axle coach, even though my current Georgetown rides amazing. If I’m going DP’er I want better!
Anyone know the years and chassis with what front suspension?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 04:49 AM   #2

I have an early 2020 45A and it has a solid front axle. They moved to IFS in the 2020 model year (along with the electronic dashboard) in the 2020 model year.

I seriously doubt that any Berkshire hassis prior to 2020 has IFS.
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:35 PM   #3

I am only going by what I’m reading on the internet, so we know what that’s worth LOL. For instance a 2012 Berkshire shows it’s built on a Freightliner XC chassis. So I looked up freight liners 2012 brochure for the XC chassis. It shows independent front suspension.

https://www.forestriverrvsource.com/...-390bh-tr11328

https://mhsrv.com/pdfs/brochures/201...r-brochure.pdf

I’m still learning as I go so please bear with me!
Edit: I did just read that the solid front axle is standard and IFS is optional. So that makes sense.

Now how is the ride of a solid axle DP compare to an F53 chassis?

Old 12-30-2022, 04:32 PM   #4

Hello Dodge Guy,

I have a 2020 Berkshire 39A, it does have the electronic dash but still has the solid front axle. We previously had a 2014 Tiffin Allegro (gas model) on the Ford chassis. The ride on the Freightliner is certainly improved over the Ford.

I hope this helps.

Terry
taquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:02 PM   #5

Thank you everyone.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:42 AM   #6
Diesel Rep West Coast

if the unit has a digital dash for an XLT it will have an independent front suspension, it did start in the middle of the 2020 model year.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 09:38 AM   #7
Commercial Member

The IFS was not available until mid-model year for 2020. As for the ride quality of the solid beam type axle; the ride is by far better than the F53 chassis you currently have in the GeorgeTown. The v/ryde (air-ride) helps immensely with cruising along the highway
Lincman983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:37 AM   #8
Diesel Rep West Coast

the main benefit of IFS over a solid front axle is when you are driving over a different grade of road from left to right... think of being on the shoulder of any road and then getting back on the road... with IFS you shouldn't feel it like you do in an I beam front axle... but when FL does an I-beam front axle, which for the most part is on 380 platforms and lower, they do a Bell Crank system for the steering that will help eliminate the bump steer effect.... most people wont be able to tell the difference when they are actually driving down the road traveling to your destination.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:09 PM   #9

The ride down the road with the FL XC is definitely an improvement over the F53, but I think that is more attributed to the airbags than the chassis setup.

What I noticed going from the F53 to the FL was the side-to-side rolling effect you'll get with the FL. This is most evident in making 90-degree turns at intersections or pulling out of a driveway such as at a gas station onto a sloped road. It took me a little practice driving and my DW some with storage to avoid stuff bouncing onto the floor during these maneuvers.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:40 PM   #10
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
The ride down the road with the FL XC is definitely an improvement over the F53, but I think that is more attributed to the airbags than the chassis setup.

What I noticed going from the F53 to the FL was the side-to-side rolling effect you'll get with the FL. This is most evident in making 90-degree turns at intersections or pulling out of a driveway such as at a gas station onto a sloped road. It took me a little practice driving and my DW some with storage to avoid stuff bouncing onto the floor during these maneuvers.
that should a little odd, usually on the 53 chassis you get more of the bouncing back and forth because of the leaf spring suspension, usually on a pusher the Air bags take the rock and roll affect out and get you back to level really quick.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:37 AM   #11

I always thought the F53 was more of a jarring effect where you would feel road seams, sort of like a constant thump and rattle action continuously down the road. Or, if on a bad road like you find leading into many campgrounds the whole rig shaking like it's gonna come apart at the seams.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:37 PM   #12
Diesel Rep West Coast

yeah I remember when i was a rep over a product on them, and how exhausted i was from doing test drives... in the DP's even with an I beam front axel you will find they do a bell crank steering system that really takes out the bump steer (road vibration) from the steering wheel. The big difference Between a DP with IFS and and I Beam Front Axel is felt when you go from right to left over different grades of land.. think transitioning from the side of the road back on.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:54 PM   #13

Thanks again everyone. It will be awhile before we purchase a DP. So I’m just doing research now.

Tags
berkshire