Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #1

Berkshire Delivery Inspection

I have an extensive list to follow for the delivery inspection when I pick up my coach to include all of the systems (A/C, furnace, water (hot & cold), waste, washer/dryer, electrical, lighting, generator, fit & finish, cleanliness, etc..

My question is for the chassis, engine, suspension and other related components since this will be our first diesel pusher. Are there any specific things to look for? Of course I will check fluid levels but beyond that I'm not sure what else to check. I did ask for a printout of the front-end alignment that will be done before delivery (for maintenance records and to ensure it was done).

I am guessing there are some items that current owners can look back on with a 'woulda-coulda-shoulda' perspective.

The coach is brand new (2014) so I am hoping there is not too much to worry about. Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Date on tires, run jacks up and down, auto level, tire presure, slides fit nice and tight to side, inspect the roof for bubbles, black tank sprayers, water filter, have city water hooked up and check for leaks, tightness of slide toppers, fill hot water heater and make sure the water gets hot. Don't be rushed by dealer, have him run thru everything and then you do it as he watches. My DW can do everything including hook up the car.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

Three words: weigh, Weigh, WEIGH

Make SURE the empty weight posted on the yellow sticker on the screen door, matches an actual scale weight.

If they don't make the dealer explain why, and don't take any "slick" talk, either. As nice as that salesman may seem to be, he's REALLY only interested in one thing: closing the deal and getting his commission. Sorry I'm cynical, but at age 70 I've been "burned" a few too many times.

Empty weight includes full tank of diesel, full tank of propane but all water and sewerage tanks empty. You can spend $10 at a truck stop and get a very accurate weight for each axle. If it ain't within 100 lbs, I wouldn't accept the coach.

Remember a full water tank is about 800 lbs. Full diesel somewhere around 650. Roughly. I don't know what propane weighs. You can use these "rough" weights in case the tanks don't meet the criteria I mentioned with regard to "fullness".

I think FR may have learned their lesson on this as the 2014 chassis' have apparently been beefed up considerably; hopefully you will be just fine and I believe you will.

Boowho?? (the overweight "monger")

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Gents, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to add your items to my list . On the coach weight, i did not see a spec sheet yet showing any data but will certainly find out now.
I did see slide lock bars when i first saw the coach but the salesman said they weren't necessary and rarely used. Any thoughts on those?
Old 06-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC02 View Post
Gents, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to add your items to my list . On the coach weight, i did not see a spec sheet yet showing any data but will certainly find out now.
I did see slide lock bars when i first saw the coach but the salesman said they weren't necessary and rarely used. Any thoughts on those?
Never use them.... I have 4 and think I should have 8 to do the job correctly. I guess a slide COULD come out while in transit.

BTW, look for the yellow sticker on the entry screen door. That is the "bible" of weight specs.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #6

When I first got my coach I had problems with the kitchen slide stripping a gear. I had it fixed twice by local dealers and finally took it back to the factory for a repair. We were travelling with my son and his wife who were sitting in the booth dinette and they said that they could see the kitchen slide moving in and out at the top as we travelled. Not wanting to put undue stress on the slide mechanism, I started using the slide locks to keep the slide from moving around as we travel.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #7

I hate the need for having to use the slide locks as there should be some better fail safe but since our toddler rides in a car seat that is secured and seatbelted in the dinette I will not drive the coach without them. And our salespeople didnt know what the slide locks were for either - found them just chucked aside in the bedroom when we took delivery. I feel ok with them securely in place when traveling - now my big worry is that someone will try to put the slides out before removing them! I put a warning sticker near the slide buttons as a reminder to family and always remove them myself if the coach is is for service and might be tinkered with by anyone other than me.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Berkshire 390QS

cover for switch

maybe something like this over switch and note on panel?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-06-09-21-38-49.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	32807

Another thought - you take them off when you arrive at dealer, put them back in when you leave. I can see a technician moving slide out without even looking. BTW we don't use ours and have never seen the slide move when driving.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote