Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #21

Sir - wasn't speaking of the Berkshire 2015 model which I have no knowledge of. Strictly speaking of the 2016-2017 (and late build 2017.5 and early 2018's) Berkshire XL's only (standard 2018 Berkshire seems to have had a headlight change). If somebody buys an aftermarket headlight housing for the Audi model you mentioned, it will NOT fit the Berkshire opening. I know this first hand. I literally looked at hundreds of headlight housings before I found a scant few that are the same as Forest River used on the Berkshire XL. The subtle difference in the upper inner corner curve is what prevents the headlight housing from fitting the Berkshire XL.
TampaGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #22

Aligning headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaGary View Post
[snip]
NOW THE CONUNDRUM - If you're having trouble aiming the lights that because on the Berkshire the light housings are located on the front of the body at a point that's 4 inches higher and 22 inches wider than where they are located on the Audi. Seems like Forest River chose this item for it's appearance and did not do their proper due diligence - engineering wise on these headlights as there is NOT enough adjustment using the aiming screw jacks in the headlight housings to compensation for the the increased height and width the lights are mounted at on the Berkshire coaches. Forest River will have to come up with a recall and re-design the brackets where the housings mount to the fiberglass nose with brackets that have slotted holes to allow the entire housing to be adjusted inside the body headlight opening.
TampaGary,
As I understand procedures, the headlights should be aligned to send the beam in a horizontal direction. If they are installed 4" higher on a Berk, the line of the beam should be 4" higher. That line is the top of the low beams and, presumably, the centre of the high beams. Same with right and left.

To check the headlight alignment, drive along a flat surface towards a wall. If the headlights are aligned correctly, the part of the wall that they light up won't move up or down, and it won't move right or left. If it moves, the beams are are aiming to much in the "excess" direction they exhibit at a distance.

Note that the adjustment screws need to be turned a lot to move the beams by a noticeable amount. This is because when you adjust, the adjustment you make turns a large pinion wheel (about 3/4" in diameter), which turns a threaded crown screw that moves one edge of the headlight. That is a lot of gearing reduction, like in the rear end of your coach. If you can get a variable speed drill to drive the large screw, you get to see a noticeable effect happen. Obviously, you should run the drill slowly.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #23

Sir - your 2015 Berkshire has a different "nose" and headlights than the 2016, 2017, 2018 XL coaches I am referencing.

FYI - The proper adjustment for headlights is according to the following DOT rule. . .
The low beam "hot spot" should be approximately 32" off the ground at a point 25 feet from the front of the vehicle.

I replaced both the 2017.5 Berkshire OEM factory headlight housings (because the factory assembler had broken BOTH internal screw adjustment jacks in the housings during the build) with the EXACT SAME "Eagle Eyes" (brand name) headlight housings (available on Amazon for $245.00 pair) and then dis-assembled the old headlight housings to investigate how the aiming screw jacks worked. I discovered there is VERY LITTLE adjustment (left/right and up/down) that can be attained using the internal screw jacks. My passenger side headlight (low beam hot spot) could only be lowered to approximately 90 inches off the ground at 25 feet using all of the available adjustment in the internal screw jacks and also could only be brought back (left/right) to approximately 70 inches to the right of the center of the coach (as viewed from the passenger seat). Still way off to the road shoulder side of the travel path of the vehicle.
TampaGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #24

My 2016 40BH has Eagle Eyes ADO49-Bow10 lights which are from the '04-07 Audi A4. This projector style is terrible but I added HID bulbs (plug and play) which helped take some of the dark spots away but I'm still going to try the non-projector style TampaGary is talking about. It can't be any worse!
They show as this on Amazon -AUDI A4 SEDAN/WAGON/RS4 SEDAN/A4/S4/RS4 CABRIOLET PAIR HEADLIGHT 07-08 Part #AD042-B001R/L.

I've been getting my replacement bulbs from Vanquish Auto in Florida because they have videos on youtube that show the comparison lighting between OEM, HID, LED. Check out their review of the 2018 F-150 headlight comparison. Switched mine to the HID and WOW!
spunk2257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaGary View Post
[snip]

FYI - The proper adjustment for headlights is according to the following DOT rule. . .
The low beam "hot spot" should be approximately 32" off the ground at a point 25 feet from the front of the vehicle.

[snip]
TampaGary,
I've searched quite hard to find your "DOT rule" on the internet. Could you please provide the link?

Here are links that I did find, and they all indicate that headlights should be aligned relative to the height of the headlight when mounted on the vehicle. So, your 32" hot spot would only be correct if the centre of your headlights is 32" off the ground.

Moreover, the links I found don't talk about the "hot spot", but the cutoff. A hot spot would be the "centre" of the distribution of the light pattern, but what is crucial is the cutoff, since it determines whether oncoming drivers will be blinded or not.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car.../a257/1347221/
https://www.truck-lite.com/content/n...ing-headlights
https://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Car-Headlights
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/...ust-headlights

If you want a government reference, take as an example, what is provided by British Columbia, since they have nice pictures
http://cvse.ca/vehicle_inspections/P...g_Protocol.pdf

The US DOT does have a document on this, but it seems to be about testing, rather than regulation:
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publication...148/aiming.cfm

–Gordon
Old 02-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #26

I have 2015 Berk 400XL RB, lights at night were horrible
I got these off a Amazon and they install fairly quick and work great
NINEO H11 LED Headlight Bulbs, H8 H9 CREE XHP50 Chips, 360°Adjustable Beam Pattern Conversion Kit 6500K 12,000Lm
Sold by: NINEO

$50.87
Jshgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:18 PM   #27

2015 Berkshire 400QL - perhaps the worst headlights ever

Hi there. Wanted to see if there is any update on how to make the headlights a least usable at night. Just drove 2450 miles from Los Angeles to Denver and back and about 6 hours was night driving. We may as well have had the lights off...

The other issue is when switching off the (useless) high beams, sometimes the passenger low beam fails to light... a few wiggles of the hi-lo switch seems to fix it but is is random.

I read this thread through, seems this is a known disappointment with the Berkshire -- hopeful there might be some new details that others can add.

Very capable, will do whatever research I can, but any hints or links would be greatly appreciated -- as of now the boss says "no night driving until this is resolved. Period"
sgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:08 AM   #28

gordonsick-

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

This guy has great info on how to aim headlights- very involved but it will be right. He also did s report on out Berkshires. I did the bulb upgrade recommended. big difference.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:13 PM   #29

Do you have a link to the report Daniel did on the Berkshires?? That would be an interesting read.

I'm working on a headlight upgrade as well. We don't drive a lot at night, but I did add a 50" light bar across the bottom for when it's really dark..

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
gordonsick-

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

This guy has great info on how to aim headlights- very involved but it will be right. He also did s report on out Berkshires. I did the bulb upgrade recommended. big difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1583.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	240847  
amarzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #30

I've had very good luck with these so far. Have put them on Mt 03 Avalanche and DW 2013 Malibu. A couple of my friends have since ordered them too.

https://m.banggood.com/userCenter.ht...untry=America&
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #31

copied from a member on this forum- Daniel Stern

I had a 2011 Berkshire with the same issues. I found an email thread for Daniel Stern, a lighting engineer. I have attached it. I did end up buying the genuine Toyota headlights and the recommended bulbs from Amazon. It made a tremendous difference.

It is as follows:

I drive a Forest River Berkshire, 40 ft, diesel motorhome.

OK. I'm guessing its front end looks like this: http://sellmyrv.today/photos/normal/...WzqP6Y0_nm.jpg

On a couple of occasions, I have had to drive in the rain,
at night and have found the lack of a clearly lit road a
frightening experience.

Yes it is!

You've got several issues preventing you seeing well at night. It's not just bulbs.

First, the headlamps themselves. They are patterned after the '01-'03 Toyota Highlander item. I say "patterned after" because they are almost certainly cheap Chinese knockoffs meant as aftermarket parts for fixing crashed cars. Virtually all the RV coach builders use them as original equipment: they find an existing car/truck/SUV/van headlamp that fits the body lines they're working on, but instead of buying the legitimate item they get the cheap copycat junk. Even when brand new, even with the best bulbs, these just plain don't get the light where it needs to be. Even if your lenses are still clear, and especially if they're clouded at all, you'll want to spend the money on the genuine headlamps, which will help a lot. While you're at it, get the '04 version of the headlamp -- they are a direct swap, but have a much larger, more efficient low beam reflector that gathers more light from the bulb. High beam is also slightly better than the earlier lamp. Be very very careful to get only genuine Toyota-made parts:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A05JZA/?tag=2402507-20
and
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T1Q172/?tag=2402507-20

Next item to consider is the wiring. RVs like yours have very long lengths of thin wire in the headlamp circuit. This means quite a lot of voltage drop, which hobbles whatever bulb you install. Light output drops exponentially, not linearly, with voltage drop; a small voltage drop means a large loss of light. Fix this with a relay kit RIK-HB34, $79 (if your Berkshire presently leaves the outer low beams lit when the inner high beams come on) or RIK-HB34H, $89 (if it does not). The RIK is not a harness, but a _parts kit_ containing all relays, brackets, terminal blocks, terminals, plugs, sockets, fuses and fuseholders. You supply your own wire (or your mechanic does) and use the parts from the kit to build up your own wiring harness to take the workload off the switches and bring full power to the lamps. The concept is explained at Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply . Parts are specially made premium-grade items (e.g. ceramic headlamp sockets) that accept large-gauge wire; this is not the "consumer grade" junk you can find at the parts store.

The in-cab switches continue working normally, and you will not need to cut the vehicle's original wires.

Note you _MUST_ disable the factory headlight-based daytime running light circuit, if your RV is equipped, before installing headlight relays. If you do not, the DRLs will operate in an unsafe and illegal manner until the relays cook to death (and they will).

Finally, that brings us to bulbs. With genuine headlamps in perfect condition, your best upgrade path is to replace your existing 9006/HB4 (low beam) bulbs with 9012 (HIR2) bulbs, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480N18G/?tag=2402507-20

The new bulbs are not some tinted or overwattage item. They are a newer, higher-efficacy design (Efficacy is the amount of light out versus the amount of electricity in, expressed as lumens per watt).

Here's the comparison of these bulbs to standard and high-performance 9006 (HB4) bulbs. A "+130" bulb would be a Philips Xtreme Vision, Osram Night Breaker, or GE Night Hawk Xenon.

Regular 9006: 12.8V, 55W, 1000 lumens, 875 hours

9006+130: 12.8V, 55W, 1140 lumens, 275 hours

HIR2 (9012): 12.8V, 55W, 1875 lumens, 1400 hours

So compared to standard bulbs, you're looking at 88 percent more light
from the low beams.

To upgrade the high beams, get http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480J5CW/?tag=2402507-20 . They are not some tinted or overwattage version of 9005, but share the identical filament geometry and base architecture as well as the same power consumption.

Here's the comparison:

Regular 9005: 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours

HIR1 (9011): 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours

The 9011 and 9012 bulbs have a double-wide top ear on the plastic bulb base, this is
to comply with the law requiring different bulbs to have different bases.
The extra-wide plastic top ear is easily trimmed or filed to make the bulb
fit your headlamp's bulb receptacle. Once that's done, they go directly
into the headlamp, and the existing sockets snap on. Please see
HIR bulb base modification for details. Disregard Amazon's warning that the bulbs won't fit your car.

Do not use 9011 in a lamp originally designed to accept a 9006 bulb, it's neither safe nor wise. And most fog lamps cannot effectively focus the large amount of light from a 9012 or 9011 bulb without creating dangerous (and illegal) levels of glare regardless of lamp aim.

Of course, your headlamps _must_ be aimed carefully and correctly per
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply with any bulbs, but especially with these high-output bulbs.

Front Driving/Fog
H-3

They're not driving or "driving/fog" lamps. "Driving lamp" or "driving light" is a widely misunderstood term. People use it to refer to all kinds of different lights. In fact, driving lamps are auxiliary high beams. They are effective, safe, and legal only for use with the vehicle's main high beam headlamps on dark, empty roads (or off road). Never with low beams, never by themselves, and never in traffic.

The fog lamps (is what they are) should be turned off just about permanently. Please see Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply for thorough information about what fog lamps will/won't and can/can't do.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #32

LED

I purchased high intensity LED replacement bulbs both low and high beams for my 2014 390FL. The bulb numbers should be on the lens covers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head lights.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	241585   Click image for larger version

Name:	bulbs.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	241586  
wdweldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:37 PM   #33
Chaney

Need headlights for 2010 berk

Need new headlights for my 2010 360fws Berkshire!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Moracechaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #34

LED

Are your lens fogged, if not I suggest you simply purchase the LED bulbs.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #35
Chaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdweldon View Post
Are your lens fogged, if not I suggest you simply purchase the LED bulbs.
Yep fogged - yellow- and leak when it rains!! Gets water on inside of lens!

Thanks morace
Moracechaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #36

I get leaks on the right side headlight and I've swapped it out and still have the problem. I can't figure out how the water gets in. The bulb gaskets are all good. There are some breather holes in the light so I made a flap of Goretex fabric to direct water coming down away from the hole, and preventing wheel splash from having a direct route in.

I'm not sure if that will work or not – I haven't been in a good rainstorm since I did the repair.

–Gordon
Old 12-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #37

I am working on an upgrade from my headlights and noticed that my Low beams shut off when my High beams come on. Is this what others notice as well? Anyone change this so that the Low beams stay on when the High beams come on?

Thank you!
Old 12-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #38
Geno

I believe there was a wiring harness recall that addressed this issue. I replaced my lights due to poor visibility.
allman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #39

Not sure about your issue however I replaced our 4 bulbs with high quality LED bulbs, it makes a difference.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:30 PM   #40

I was at Freightliner 2 weeks back and am caught up on the recalls.

Is anyone of my coaches vintage able to see if thier low beams go out when the highs come on?

Thank you!

Tags
berkshire, light