Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #1

Berkshire House Batteries not charging sometimes

I have a Berkshire and seem to be having problems were the house batteries are not charging. I had them low at 10V recently. I by passed the invertor by running a cord from the outside AC outlet (with Gen running) and wired the cord into the wire feeding the inverotr and was able to charge (14V) them so we think we have a bad wire feeding the invertor however I'm no expert here. (there are 2 sets of wires going into the invertor in a blue wire protective case and I wired into the one on right. Took little plate off the top of the invertor.) Took it to the dealer and by the time I got there everything was ok again and batteries were fully charged. (3 hour drive) They played with it for a day and could find nothing wrong. During my trouble shooting at one point everything was for 20 minutes normal also. Anyone got any ideas here ? Thanks....Ron
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

Well everyone I finally solved why my coach batteries were not charging sometimes. It was a loose marret on a wire in a junction box at front of coach. Taking all your suggestions and possible causes we kept trouble shooting. The problem as we documented it seemed to be that 90% of the time it would only happen when the gen was switched on. Several tests on the auto transfer switch said it was doing its job from using shore power although we still did not have the rear air working. We then started tracing back from the generator. The gen was producing the proper power coming out of it. Tracing the wires from it to a junction box on the firewall near the gen we opened it and as soon as we moved the wires in there bingo the problem found. Seems part of these wires going to the transfer switch were also wired to run the rear air conditioner etc. This wiring set-up thru everything also sent power to the invertor/convertor to charge the coach batteries. So as we travelled in the coach the loose wire would bounce on and off with its poor connection and sometimes work and sometimes not. Anyhow we are as back in business and I can't say enough thanks to those whom added their input on this forum. By having others add opinions to a problem it challenges one to think and rethink. Again thank. Ron
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #3

Ron,
Happy to hear that you solved your problem and that in the end, it was nothing major.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #4

now I need to solve my air dryer thing where it keeps blowing off air and not sure where
Old 08-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

Could it be that it is just the relief valve releasing the pressure when it gets too high? This type of release is normal with air brakes.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Could it be that it is just the relief valve releasing the pressure when it gets too high? This type of release is normal with air brakes.
Don't think so. It will do it about an average 15 times in a row about 2-3 apart. Seems to do it after I use the brakes or when its compressing air after the gov kicks in. Seems to do it when the tanks are near full. When doing it I don't loose air either. Also don't hear any leaks.

Tags
berkshire, battery