Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
We will see if you say that when you are hundreds of miles away from home and cannot move your coach!
There are shops that recore radiators if beyond repair. Much less costly than renewal.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
....Is the air to air intercooler ok? That is in front of the rad from the inside closest to the fan and it covers most of the rad. It would have possibly had to go through that first to damage the rad.
I looked that over real good and could not find any damage. That is what had me puzzled. No damage on outside ether but the fluid gushes out like a water fall and Cummings believes it is the radiator. I now wonder when the fan clutch went if the radiator cap overflow did not release and burst the radiator. Funny thing was no warning lights on dash. Must have happen just as I stopped. I still cannot figure it. Going to call Gafney Monday. Been a week now.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #23

Maybe you said it earlier--where are you broke down at ?

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #24

No damage from the outside or from inside, maybe just a defective radiator .

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
There are shops that recore radiators if beyond repair. Much less costly than renewal.
Being 200 miles from home I would just like to find someone to fix it at this point, new or recore. Really disappointed with the Freightliner shop. Funny when people don't even want to take a paying job.

Already paid for one tow when Cummings said they would repair me then said no. They said they might reconsider, I am still waiting to hear something.

On the positive side wife is out of the hospital and feeling better. Still on meds but resting at home. Everything happens at once. I have had to put off getting my knee fixed because of this as no one else can drive it home when it gets fixed. I should have stayed home this summer but did enjoy Goshen.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Maybe you said it earlier--where are you broke down at ?

Russell
I would rather not say. I have read where people have gotten into worse problems because dealers have read posts even when true and are then treated worse. I have friends in the area looking for another shop for me.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
No damage from the outside or from inside, maybe just a defective radiator .
Coach has 30000 miles on it and been over the Rockies twice. One would think if defective it would have let go before now. Has me puzzled as I was on a nice level pull. Not over heating and have maintained per Freightliner recommendations every fall prior to putting away. So it is not neglect.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #28

Quote:
I would rather not say. I have read where people have gotten into worse problems because dealers have read posts even when true and are then treated worse. I have friends in the area looking for another shop for me.

Ok. That fine--just figured it be easier for ones on the forum to guide you to repair shop ?? If you are in California I probably not be lots of help. But if you would be in central Indiana I might be of help. Sounds like you got someone looking for you. Good luck

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Coach has 30000 miles on it and been over the Rockies twice. One would think if defective it would have let go before now. Has me puzzled as I was on a nice level pull. Not over heating and have maintained per Freightliner recommendations every fall prior to putting away. So it is not neglect.
How bout an elderly hose split behind the radiator? 30000 could be bout that time.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
How bout an elderly hose split behind the radiator? 30000 could be bout that time.

That is an issue for sure. Had two of mine rot off at different intervals and in turn replaced all the lower rad clamps. They were in rough shape...
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #31
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Silver, Thinking of you guys! Are you back on the road yet? Keep us in the loop!!! Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
Silver, Thinking of you guys! Are you back on the road yet? Keep us in the loop!!! Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I was told the radiator is supposed to be in Monday then repairs begin. They must be making it by hand one vane at a time. After the Engine repair I need to go to collision shop courtesy of Cummins. I just hope I get it back in time to winterize it.

Bummer
Old 10-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #33

Oct 8, 2015 Coach Finally Home From Goshen

Oct. 8, 2015 Finally Home From Goshen
As the title implies we had quite a time getting home from Goshen this year, a trip that I do not want to repeat. For those who were following earlier in this thread you obliviously noticed I went quiet. That was because of all the problems I was having getting my coach repaired. I did not want to exasperate the situation further in the event any of the involved parties read the forum.
Let me begin with a summery.
1) If you are driving a diesel motorhome, breakdown in Albany NY, and find yourself dealing with either Freightliner or Cummins on Railroad AV. I wish you better luck than I had.
2) If you have exhausted all avenues and have nowhere else to turn do not hesitate to place a call to Freightliner in Gaffney (1-800-FTL-HELP). Without their help I do not think my coach would be repaired yet.
3) Cost, Many have asked and speculated as to the cost for my repair. Well here it is $6832.93 broken down as follows:
Freightliner incurred costs
$3806.27 new radiator
$1566.36 Fan clutch and yes new FOUR BOLT HUB (BS)
Cummins incurred costs
$19.95 Cummins Power Club
$211,68 Cummins Service for nothing, explained below
$98.00 Coach Net, Not necessary, explained below
$889.67 Replace Fuel Pressure Relief Valve
Other costs
$150 Three round trips Albany to Boston to resolve issues.
$100 LED lighting for Fire House, explained below

Details:
The fun began when we got off the New York State Throughway to Albany NY on our way home from Goshen. My wife was quite ill and in need of medical attention. Shortly after hitting secondary highways I noticed in the rear camera that the front of my toad was wet. I pulled over into a fire house parking lot and learned that the fan clutch had broken on the coach and the clutch bracket blown through the radiator.

Here I want to take a moment away from the story to say that the crew at the fire house were great. They allowed me to stay in their parking lot, connected me to water and electric and even let me dump my tanks. Through the entire time I stayed with them five nights and they could not have been more accommodating. While enjoying the comfort of their lounge they shared with me that they were having problems with the rope lighting that they had. This is where the LED lighting comes in. I decked out the lounge for them and you could not have seen a more appreciative group of guys. I know I have made a group of lifelong friends.

After taking the wife to a clinic they recommended I take her directly to Albany Medical Center Hospital where she was treated. Thank goodness for insurance as this was over $8500. On Monday I settled into getting the coach looked at. I first stopped at Freightliner who said they could not look at it for two weeks. I said I wanted to check Cummins next door and see if they were not as backed up. The Service Manager at Cummins said not only could they look at it but would have it fixed by Wed. This person also told me that if I join the Cummins Power Club I would get 10% off parts and labor. I thought great this might not be as bad as I thought. I called GoodSam Road Service and had the coach towed to Cummins. The only stipulation Cummins had was I could not stay in the coach. So I collected my wife and drove the toad home to Boston. Thursday comes and I get a call from my friend at Cummins. I ask if the coach is ready to be picked up and am told no, they no longer wish to work in it. I enquire why and am told that the problem is a radiator and fan clutch which are both Freightliner parts. I ask how this is different from Monday when I dropped it off and told them that? I said let me call FreightLiner next door and get it checked in over there. When I called Freightliner I now get "no we will not work on your coach and will not tell you why". I call Cummins back and tell the Service Manager the situation and that Cummins had made a commitment to me and I expected it to be honored. I was told they would reconsider but were not hopeful. I let things sit through the weekend and called Freightliner Gaffney Monday who was able to get Freightliner Albany to reconsider their position. I tell Cummins that Freightliner will now work on the coach and the Cummins Service Manager tells me that it will need to be towed the 200 feet to Freightliner. I call GoodSam Road Service and am told I have used my tow for this breakdown. Now I am looking at a possible $500 to $1000 tow bill. I checked into and signed up for Coach Net. They said they would tow me even if the condition was preexisting prior to signup.

Back out to Albany I go with my new tow service to move my coach from Cummins to Freightliner. When I get there I am presented with a bill from Cummins for diagnostic services. Telling me exactly what I told them. The clincher I am also told that my coach was hit while in their secure parking lot. After a brief discussion Cummins agrees to have the coach repaired at their expense after Freightliner completes the radiator repair. As I get ready to call for the tow the mechanic that did the diagnostic on my coach tells me that it will not be necessary. If the radiator cap is left off the fluid will not leak out and I should easily be able to start and drive the coach 200 feet to Freightliner without damage to the engine. As I said earlier $89 .00 wasted on Coach Net. Thank you Cummins Service Manager!

On arrival at Freightliner you would think I was a long lost brother. I do not know what Gaffney said but at least to my face I am now treated well. Coach sits for a month waiting for parts and I finally get the call it is ready. Back out to Albany I go. Looked over the coach prior to going into the shop. Service manager tells me I am all set and he needs $53XX. I said that for that price I thought the radiator would have been completely installed and was surprised it was left as a owner project. He asked what I was referring to. I explained I had looked over the coach and within 30 seconds spotted several studs without nuts and several lock nuts that had been started by hand but not tightened. I ended up going out to the lot with a mechanic and having to point out the loose and missing nuts while they were tightened/fixed. These were major support for the radiator, not fluff. Now just think if I were to drive out with it like that. 100 or 200 miles down the road hardware would start flying off the coach, probably lose/destroy the radiator again and might hit a vehicle behind me and cause an accident. I am unable to see how well the fan and fan hub was attached until I get it home but that will have to wait.
Back to Cummins for the collision work. I ask the Service Manager how long before they would be done with the coach. I said I had plans for Oct. Service manager a young lady gave me a big smile but could not say. The coach ended up sitting on the Cummins lot for another two weeks before it went out to the collision shop, this after the collision shop was on "hot standby" to receive it. Collision work was completed the second week of Oct. I got a call from the Cummins Service Manager who said the coach looked beautiful BUT. I am thinking now what. I am told that the check engine light came on when they were returning from the collision shop. Now this shop is maybe ten miles from Cummins and in the 32000 plus miles I have driven this coach the check engine light has never come on until now with someone else driving. The service manager tells me that it was a good thing it happen with them rather than me and upon checking the computer error code they determined the fuel pressure relief valve needed to be replaced and wanted permission to proceed. I am 200 miles away. I say no and drive out to check things myself and the coach is bad and I am stuck again so I say yes. This results is the final bill of $889.67.

When I finally get the coach the collision work was perfect but I did notice that my dash camera was disconnected, rocking chair broken free from its restraint, everything on the counters was on the floor, and all the goods in my cabinets were jumbled such that when I opened them everything would fall out. Makes me wonder how it was driven to/from the collision shop.

My chore for this weekend is to open the engine compartment and review all the work that was done.

If you stayed with the story to the end congratulations. I tried not to embellish but state facts. I even left out the part where I had to assist the tow truck operator to hook up the coach as he did not know how. That is another good story.

Prior to this year I have only needed to perform routine maintenance on the coach so I guess I have been lucky.

As I said I do not want to make this trip again.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #34

Quote:
He asked what I was referring to. I explained I had looked over the coach and within 30 seconds spotted several studs without nuts and several lock nuts that had been started by hand but not tightened. I ended up going out to the lot with a mechanic and having to point out the loose and missing nuts while they were tightened/fixed.
It's a shame these facilities won't let you "watch" as they do your work. I've had a few major screw ups like that, and they're usually not even bright enough to be embarrassed at their own stupidity.

You've been screwed over royally. I don't mean by the $$$ necessarily, but by the whole scenario. What I call a cluster-F.

Moral of story ALWAYS call the FL hotline FIRST??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #35

That is why my point number 2. Without Gaffney I would not have known where to turn. I still cannot believe it took two months to repair but when they have you and you have no control you are at their mercy.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #36

Silver,
Sorry to hear about all of the issues getting your coach repaired and back on the road.
The good news is that you have your coach back and it is repaired. Hopefully this will be the last of your issues for a long time.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #37

Thanks Tom,

It is nice to look out the window and see it. I had begun to joke with the wife, "remember when we use to own a coach". It had been so long.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #38

Wow, just wow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #39

Silver that's wrong in so many ways. I'm not a trusting person. The cummins shop wouldn't try a switch on you would they?
The only good thing is it's home and it's over.
Hope your wife is continuing to do well.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #40

Quote:
That is why my point number 2. Without Gaffney I would not have known where to turn. I still cannot believe it took two months to repair but when they have you and you have no control you are at their mercy.

Did you write the script for the movie RV?

Wayne

Tags
berkshire