Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #1

Berkshire systems questions

Does the Berkshire only have one LP furnace? I know that both the AC units work as heat pumps as well, but I seems to me that the other bunkhouses I looked at had 2 LP furnaces. Or maybe I'm just imagining that.

What kind of real world fuel usage are you getting from the Onan 8.0 generator?

It's says the generator can run the both the AC units (15,000BTU) at once, do you find this to be true? Is 50amp shore power enough to run both 15,000BTU AC units?

And if both the AC units are running is the generator pretty much tapped out, or can you still run the microwave, TV, etc?

As I understand it you can run pretty much everything off the inverter/batteries except the AC units correct?

When you are not hooked up to shore power does the refrigerator run on the inverter/batteries? I assume there is a switch to force it onto LP gas, I forgot to look when I was over there?

Does the fridge run more efficiently on LP or electric, or is there really no difference?

Once you run the batteries down using the inverter how long does it take the generator/coach to charge them back up again?

I also noticed in the literature that it has an air compressor which makes sense since it air plays a vital role in the suspension. Is this a pump up my kids pool toys kind of air compressor or something different? When I took the tour the other day I didn't see anything that look like an air compressor anywhere.

I'm sure I have more, but these are the ones that are bumping around my busy little brain right this second.

Thanks to are your for you help and suggestions thus far.

Ryan
iflyskyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #2

I'll try to answer as many of these questions as I can based upon 15 Months in our 390QS Berkshire.
1. The 8K Genny will basically run EVERYTHING in the coach, though we mostly park in rv parks so usually run it on the road to run ACs.
2. The furnace worked well down to about 16 degrees in Mobile, Al, last winter.
3. I really can't answer re gen fuel usage.
4. 50 amp shore power gives you 12000 watts. It WILL run everything at once.
5. In our coach, the only things that run on the inverter are the TV/Stereo/Direct Receiver. We don't try to use it on the road.
6. Refrigerator seems to work equally well on Elec or gas. It doesn't run from the interter on our coach. I can't tell any difference. Yes, you can force it to AC or GAS. We usually leave ours on Auto.
7. Don't know about recharge time - haven't run batteries down.
8. There is no external connector for using air. Don't know how difficult it would be to have one installed.
2008 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Crew Cab Toad
Callie - Fur Kid
kmsavage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

The only thing I can add is that the generator fuel usage is minimal. We just got back from Branson and it was hot all the way down and back so we ran the A/C's on a regular basis when we were on the road. We only noticed a very slight decrease in fuel mileage when the generator were running. Our overall fuel mileage was about 9.35 and that was with the generator running almost constantly when we were on the road.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #4

In our 390BH the air compressor access is located above the generator. It's way up there and you'll have to bend over, stick you head inside the cavity and look up. I haven't used it yet but I was told it is sufficient the fill the tires up to the appropriate pressure so you shouldn't have a problem with floats, bike tires, balls, etc.
mstevens107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #5

I found that the generator uses about .5 gal/hour. It will run ALMOST everything at once. I found that it can not handle both AC's while the water heater is on electric. It couldn't handle that load. My 390bh has only 1 furnace. Ditto on the air compressor outlet. Up high in the generator compartment in front of the driver. On my unit, the inverter will run the refrigerator off the batteries which should be charging while you drive. You can force it to run on gas by pressing the switch on the top of the refrigerator. It can be on gas (gas only) or auto (switches to either elec or gas-elec if hooked to shore power or if the inverter is on).

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #6

Has anyone but us changed out your pulls for your cabinets? We have multiple bruises on hips and legs from the pulls they used in the 390BH.
mstevens107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #7

I may have to look into changing the pulls. The tight area by the kitchen sink has been my problem.
Debbie
Old 07-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We changed out our pulls on the offending drawers and cabinet doors. We got some of the brushed nickel rounded pulls at Home Ripoff (otherwise known as Home Depot). The ones we picked were about $3 each so it isn't a major cost item and we only changed out the offending pulls.

We are also looking at taking out the small couch by the door and replacing it with some more cabinets. That couch is small and hard as a rock. I'm amazed that they put something that uncomfortable in the rig, but they did. I'll let you know if we do it and how much of a job it is.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
2008 390BH

8k gen runs both airs but when you add a power hog like a vaccuum or hair dryer while battery is charger, electric water heater etc, the breaker might trip. the breaker is on the front of the gen

the fuel usage on the gen is "noise" while driivng. i have driven with and w/o air, "slow", and fast and find tha my mpg is virtually the same...so i keep the coach cool and get'er done.

I use the air compressor others mentioned to fill air in coach and toad tires etc. When gen compartment is open it is upper right, above the gen (look for coupler). You just need high psi hose and attachments

the full recharge on dead the batts will several hours. i carry a small batt charger in the batt bay just in case the charger quits. this actaully happened and I had to get the magnum inv / charger repaired. Charger kept 12v system charged. Make sure batts have watter.
justinph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #10

Thank you

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to answer. I appreciate the input and advice.
iflyskyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire