Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #1

Berkshire xl 40 C 2018 Winterizing

Looking for guide on winterizing the coach
I know the basics but I want to be through so I don’t miss anything.thanks for the help.
georgewegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Big rig huh?

Does it have a refrigerator with in door ice making or water tap?
How about a dishwasher?
Got a washing machine?

These would need attention but I don’t have any details for their winterizing.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #3

The refrigerator has ice and water through the door
No dishwasher
It has separate washer and dryer
The water heater is a gas on demand.
It has two fresh water tanks and the drains appear to be in side of tanks
So it will be tough to completely drain them unless I can tilt coach in direction of tank drain outlet
georgewegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:07 AM   #4

So I put my hot water heater in bypass, then use air pressure from an oil-less air compressor to blow out all the lines.

I use the jacks to tilt the coach to drain fresh tanks then the opposite way to drain the black and gray tanks.

Then I have a Tee in the water pump line between the fresh tank and the pump, and use that to pump 6 gallons of anti-freeze through every thing but hot water heater (valved off in by-pass)

I also run the washer in warm cycle to flush it.
I use my outside shower connection (converted to a garden hose) TO supply antifreeze to the black tank flush, city connection and tank fill.

I run the sinks, toilet, shower long enough to flush and fill traps. Any water in missed in tanks is now mixed with antifreeze.

good luck
Old 12-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewegman View Post
The refrigerator has ice and water through the door
No dishwasher
It has separate washer and dryer
The water heater is a gas on demand.
It has two fresh water tanks and the drains appear to be in side of tanks
So it will be tough to completely drain them unless I can tilt coach in direction of tank drain outlet
I have that same coach, and do not think that it has two fresh water tanks. There is a drain valve (gate valve) in the wet bay that should be adequate to drain the fresh water tank for winterizing. If you want to have it as empty as you can have it, raise the jacks on the curb side to lilt the coach slightly to the driver's side and the water should empty from the fresh water tank.

I usually hook up a compressor the the water inlet line and blow out all of the lines. Greater risk of an issue happening in the lines in the coach, than in the FW tank, which is large, and I do not see any risk of an inch of water or less left in the tank.

Line to fridge and ice maker is tricky. Need to be patient. Also washer line, but can be done in an hour or so. Sinks and shower are easy with compressor. Macerator toilet is a bit more work than the other toilet. Hot water system is easy if you follow Truma's instructions.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Here is a little step by step guide from CAMCO; it's a bit generic but has some good tips. Hope it helps some people out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Winterization Step-by-Step Guide by Camco.pdf (863.2 KB, 56 views)
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #7

It’s the water line and mechanism for the ice maker and cold water dispenser that I fret about the most and takes the most care. The first time I did it I probably ran almost a full gallon of antifreeze thru it until my wife realized the filter was removing the color. Knowing me, I’d probably still be running gallons thru. So I picked up a bypass filter from Frigidaire so now I may only use twice as much as I need to-ocd. If you follow the steps folks have lined up above and you take your time it’ll go fine.

Tags
berkshire, winter, winterizing