Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #41

ATT has Int'l service for $10/day.
Paulat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulat View Post
ATT hotspot on unlimited plan is limited to 5gig/month. One of the nuanced technicalities.
You mentioned earlier that you use ATT TVnow (used to be called DirectTvNow). Regardless of the plan all of the data is unlimited and not “managed/throttled” while using a phone to view the service. However, if you mirror the app the data charge resumes, or if you connect to the app from another device (AppleTV or Roku, etc) using the hotspot on the phone the free data goes away.

There is a workaround for that problem but it’s not fair to AT&T so I won’t get into that on a public forum.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:53 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky55616 View Post
We use Visible, it runs on the Verizon network. $25 per month for unlimited everything when you join their party plan. I only have one line and pay the $25 monthly rate which includes all taxes and fees.
I looked into Visible and using them for a WiFi hotspot is against their terms of service. Next best legal hotspot provider is https://www.unlimitedinternetprovider.com/. They are $34.99 per month including all fees and charges. They use the AT&T network. Switching my hotspot to them now and will be giving up Verizon for them when I get my new phones since Verizon will not support/allow them on their network anyhow. Granted, you will be fine until they catch you but where will you be when that happens and the cut you off?
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:01 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyfltri View Post
I looked into Visible and using them for a WiFi hotspot is against their terms of service. Next best legal hotspot provider is https://www.unlimitedinternetprovider.com/. They are $34.99 per month including all fees and charges. They use the AT&T network. Switching my hotspot to them now and will be giving up Verizon for them when I get my new phones since Verizon will not support/allow them on their network anyhow. Granted, you will be fine until they catch you but where will you be when that happens and the cut you off?
Please explain how/why Verizon would "cut you off".

Most Verizon plans do include mobile hotspot usage. They also have Hotspot plans.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:48 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Please explain how/why Verizon would "cut you off".

Most Verizon plans do include mobile hotspot usage. They also have Hotspot plans.
Visible can cut you off if you use their service for a hotspot device. They told me flat out they do not allow it.

The phones I just bought are not supported on Verizon's Bring Your Own Device plan however they are designed to work on the Verizon network. I am going to try using my sim cards in the new phones but even if they do work briefly I am confident they will be flagged and disconnected unless Verizon adds them to their BYOD option before I try them.

When you go against the rules a company has every right to cut you off without notice.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:49 AM   #46

Quote:
Care to explain where these terms of service are published? A visible sim can only be used in a phone and the hotspot connection to that phone is restricted to one device only.

Since when did Verizon not allow Visible on its network? Were you aware that Visible is a wholly owned subsidiary of Verizon? Yes, the Visible service is a lower priority on the network but that’s only an issue in congested areas. It’s hardly noticeable.

I’m definitely not a fan of Verizon and consider them in the top ten list of the worlds most dishonest companies, but we would like to know where you discovered Verizon kicked Visible off their network, and published terms of service restricting hotspots.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #47

Quote:
Visible can cut you off if you use their service for a hotspot. They told me flat out they do not allow it.

The phones I just bought are not supported on Verizon's Bring Your Own Device plan however they are designed to work on the Verizon network. I am going to try using my sim cards in the new phones but even if they do work briefly I am confident they will be flagged and disconnected unless Verizon adds them to their BYOD option before I try them.

When you go against the rules a company has every right to cut you off without notice.
If you talked to Visible you are the first to do that. They specifically said when starting up the the ONLY way to contact them was via email or chat. I’d like to know where one can talk to a Visible rep.

Regarding the hotspot use, you definitely have bad information. Here’s a screenshot of a chat session with Visible just a little while ago.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:08 AM   #48

Visible is a lower cost option for some customers and has a limited feature set, support, and reduced coverage. There is a reason it's cheaper than service directly from Verizon. Don't expect to walk into a Verizon location and receive support because that's part of the deal.

The reason Verizon is so strict with devices is to ensure a good user experience. There are some phones that just don't perform well on a given network due to chipset and other factors. They don't want their name associated with a device that they haven't tested to ensure it performs well. It may seem odd that they have these restrictions but it's for a good reason.

Most of the time when people are so passionately against a given company it's because of a poor customer experience or they were sold something that they didn't understand. If you don't feel comfortable, go to another location. If the deal seems too good to be true, be skeptical and get another opinion. Believe be, nobody wants to need to handle an upset customer. However, I do feel that most people will go out of their way to resolve issues rather than attempt to bury them.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #49

I'm just going to put this here.

So many opinions here. Some objective facts may be useful.

http://rootmetrics.com/en-US/content...-union-2h-2019

Verizon has been #1 for quite some time now. The Rootmetrics testing is about as objective as you can find. much better than the opinion-based studies that other carriers like to talk about.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:24 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Care to explain where these terms of service are published? A visible sim can only be used in a phone and the hotspot connection to that phone is restricted to one device only.

Since when did Verizon not allow Visible on its network? Were you aware that Visible is a wholly owned subsidiary of Verizon? Yes, the Visible service is a lower priority on the network but that’s only an issue in congested areas. It’s hardly noticeable.

I’m definitely not a fan of Verizon and consider them in the top ten list of the worlds most dishonest companies, but we would like to know where you discovered Verizon kicked Visible off their network, and published terms of service restricting hotspots.
Yes I am very aware that Verizon owns Visible which is why I contacted them, Visible, in the first place. Yes, every phone has a hotspot option but a device that is strictly a WiFi hotspot is not to be used through Visible.

I'm retired from Verizon and I know for a fact that being dishonest in any way was grounds for immediate termination, customer facing or internally however they are the most expensive, they are the most reliable and they do have the biggest footprint when it comes to coverage. Depending on where you are you may get a stronger signal from another carrier because of the towers each carrier chooses to use.

I never said Verizon kicked Visible off their network and I did not find out you are not allowed to use the Visible sim card in a WiFi hotspot via a published Terms of Service agreement, you assumed those things. I was told that it was not allowed according to their Terms of Service when I contacted them directly.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:30 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
If you talked to Visible you are the first to do that. They specifically said when starting up the the ONLY way to contact them was via email or chat. I’d like to know where one can talk to a Visible rep.

Regarding the hotspot use, you definitely have bad information. Here’s a screenshot of a chat session with Visible just a little while ago.

Never claimed I talked to them, I used the chat window just like you did. Now ask them if you can use their sim in a WiFi hotspot.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynotchback1 View Post
Verizon for me. Been with them since I was 19(they were called something else then) and I'm 43 now. There hot spot works 👌
Verizon Wireless was formed in 2000 by merging several companies together so people may think it was one company or another which is true in a sense.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:10 AM   #53

Quote:
Visible is a lower cost option for some customers and has a limited feature set, support, and reduced coverage. There is a reason it's cheaper than service directly from Verizon. Don't expect to walk into a Verizon location and receive support because that's part of the deal.

The reason Verizon is so strict with devices is to ensure a good user experience. There are some phones that just don't perform well on a given network due to chipset and other factors. They don't want their name associated with a device that they haven't tested to ensure it performs well. It may seem odd that they have these restrictions but it's for a good reason.

Most of the time when people are so passionately against a given company it's because of a poor customer experience or they were sold something that they didn't understand. If you don't feel comfortable, go to another location. If the deal seems too good to be true, be skeptical and get another opinion. Believe be, nobody wants to need to handle an upset customer. However, I do feel that most people will go out of their way to resolve issues rather than attempt to bury them.
Nice to see someone that has the facts. If being on the #2 network can save me a bunch of money I will forfeit the biggest and best network in America for that however I keep my Verizon sim in the RV if I do get in a jam and can easily activate it from my phone if need be, it is only disabled at this time. I am still on contract with them until May and hope the phones I'm buying will be added to their BYOD list. Terracube is trying to work with them and I will ask some ex coworkers if there is any public information that they can give me concerning the Terracube phone but I doubt it.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:25 AM   #54

Quote:
Nice to see someone that has the facts. If being on the #2 network can save me a bunch of money I will forfeit the biggest and best network in America for that however I keep my Verizon sim in the RV if I do get in a jam and can easily activate it from my phone if need be, it is only disabled at this time. I am still on contract with them until May and hope the phones I'm buying will be added to their BYOD list. Terracube is trying to work with them and I will ask some ex coworkers if there is any public information that they can give me concerning the Terracube phone but I doubt it.
I've personally never heard of that phone. Upon looking it up, it appears that it was developed as a GSM phone.

I don't think I'd hold my breath waiting for Verizon to adopt it.

I see why you want it.. a 4Yr warranty. Technology is changing so fast I'd be shocked of you could still use it then. 5G is coming hard and fast right now from all carriers.

There are cheaper devices available that work on Verizon's network. For example, a Pixel is hard to beat.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:14 PM   #55

Quote:
I've personally never heard of that phone. Upon looking it up, it appears that it was developed as a GSM phone.

I don't think I'd hold my breath waiting for Verizon to adopt it.

I see why you want it.. a 4Yr warranty. Technology is changing so fast I'd be shocked of you could still use it then. 5G is coming hard and fast right now from all carriers.

There are cheaper devices available that work on Verizon's network. For example, a Pixel is hard to beat.
Not really planning on it but it does have channel 13 for the VZW 4G network.

5G is still going to be awhile however it has been deployed in several areas by VZW and others however there are only a limited amount of phones that work on 5G. Bottom line to me is do I really need the ability for 1GB or more of download speed especially since in reality bottle necks between you and what ever you are pulling the data from won't allow it anyhow? 10MB downloads on a phone or hotspot works for me all day long, 20MB or better is more than enough and I think I'll easily hit that in some areas.

We have a pair of Pixel 2XL's now that will no longer be supported @$900.00 each. Pixel 3aXL $479.00 which is kinda close to the Teracube $220.00 but lacks so many features by comparison I snagged 2 of the Teracube's for less than one Pixel 3aXL. By the time 5G is fully deployed I will revisit but utilizing the UnlimitedInternetProvider service I can have 2 phones and my hotspot with unlimited, unthrottled data for under $105.00 a month OTD, no contracts and that was just too tempting to not start checking out. The hotspot will be phase one and I will take it from there. When you retire you reevaluate what you did against what you should do.

Love Verizon but I won't be buying that new Lamborghini either now. lol
Old 01-31-2020, 12:28 PM   #56

Quote:

5G is still going to be awhile however it has been deployed in several areas by VZW and others however there are only a limited amount of phones that work on 5G. Bottom line to me is do I really need the ability for 1GB or more of download speed especially since in reality bottle necks between you and what ever you are pulling the data from won't allow it anyhow? 10MB downloads on a phone or hotspot works for me all day long, 20MB or better is more than enough and I think I'll easily hit that in some areas.

We have a pair of Pixel 2XL's now that will no longer be supported @$900.00 each. Pixel 3aXL $479.00 which is kinda close to the Teracube $220.00 but lacks so many features by comparison I snagged 2 of the Teracube's for less than one Pixel 3aXL. By the time 5G is fully deployed I will revisit but utilizing the UnlimitedInternetProvider service I can have 2 phones and my hotspot with unlimited, unthrottled data for under $105.00 a month OTD, no contracts and that was just too tempting to not start checking out. The hotspot will be phase one and I will take it from there. When you retire you reevaluate what you did against what you should do.

Quote:

Verizon is adding 20 new 5G phones in 2020:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/v...ones-ces-2020/

It's coming faster than you think. Why exactly do you think your Pixel 2XL won't be supported?

What feature do you think the Terracube does better than your current phone? Speed? They compare themselves to the Moto G7.. not exactly an awesome performer. Memory size? I'm kinda scratching my head here.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #57

I have Verizon for my Winegard Wifi and it's less than $7/month. It's normally $20/month but with my family plan, it's reduced. This is UNLIMITED data service.
fstclyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:56 PM   #58

Quote:
Verizon is adding 20 new 5G phones in 2020:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/v...ones-ces-2020/

It's coming faster than you think. Why exactly do you think your Pixel 2XL won't be supported?

What feature do you think the Terracube does better than your current phone? Speed? They compare themselves to the Moto G7.. not exactly an awesome performer. Memory size? I'm kinda scratching my head here.
Support ends October 2020. It will get the next rollout of Android more than likely but security updates are done the following month along with phone support. Warranty was over 2 years after we got them.

Not comparing it to the 2XL I'm comparing it to the 3aXL so we have price, $220.00 vs $479.00, 6GB running memory vs 4, 128GB storage vs 64, Wife hates not having a headphone jack. I want the 128GB of storage so I'm not constantly cleaning things out, speed should be close and after almost 30 years in computers and electronics I learned long ago the expensive way that no matter what you buy or build it will be obsolete or at least second place in a month or two.

For 5G you need to be on one of Verizon's capped unlimited plans and then add a $10.00 premium plan on top of that. I have no use for it anyhow but I'm sure there are those that think they do and in some cases actually do need it. Transferring medical data is an excellent example and nobody beats Verizon. First responders count on Verizon. When a weather related disaster is eminent Verizon is there before the disaster is and will have their customers back on line first. For some Verizon is the only option but for me the best isn't necessary but the bottom line is. If the best is needed I can get a Verizon prepaid phone and be up and running in no time, especially if I just keep one in stock. Folks might want to think about that option too. Just out of curiosity, do you work for Verizon? I openly admit I'm retired from there.

I remember when everyone cried about unlimited ending, the fact was the average person was using less than 10GB a month anyhow. I don't need 5G but I do go through a lot of data now so unlimited and a reliable phone at the best price is all I do need.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:20 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Does Verizon throttle your jetpack after a certain amount? Also, what is your total cost?
Finally, I am concerned about traveling overseas with Verizon. Are they compatible with the cell towers around the world?

Yes, Verizon seriously throttles the JetPack. I'm in a rural area and can sometimes get 4G at about 2MBps. Most of the time the tower is loaded and my Ethernet has to be reset every 5 minutes or so. Nearly useless.
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:49 PM   #60

We use Verizon and we do have an Ellipsis Jetpack that we may use on occasion. We do not go for unlimited because our unused hours roll over into the next billing cycle. That allows us to have unlimited service without the cost of unlimited. We do keep track of our usage, and we can upgrade the service if we need additional hours which is a lot cheaper than waiting until you get a message from Verizon in which case any really good deals can not be negotiated (they got you). We have found that Verizon has the most widespread network. Of course, everything will change in a couple of years when Elan Musk’s satellites are finally in place.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote