Old 01-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

Best wireless carrier for full timers

Really curious: What carrier (Verizon, T-mobile, AT&T) do most of you find that provides the best service for the price....

I currently have AT&T (and have had them for years) but after my last bill ($249.00) itís now time to look at others.... Plus they nickel and dime me to death with additional ďfeesĒ to the tune of $110.00....

We love CO, WY, MT, SD, ND to name a few, so Iíd like one that you folks have used in those areas successfully....

I do realize this is strictly personal preference so Iíll take that into account as I read your responses.....

Iíll require 4 lines (2 iPhones and 2 iPads)...... AT&T is the only carrier of the 3 that offers zero senior plan so thatís a negative when compared to the other two)

Thanks in advance...,

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Really curious: What carrier (Verizon, T-mobile, AT&T) do most of you find that provides the best service for the price....

I currently have AT&T (and have had them for years) but after my last bill ($249.00) itís now time to look at others.... Plus they nickel and dime me to death with additional ďfeesĒ to the tune of $110.00....

We love CO, WY, MT, SD, ND to name a few, so Iíd like one that you folks have used in those areas successfully....

I do realize this is strictly personal preference so Iíll take that into account as I read your responses.....

Iíll require 4 lines (2 iPhones and 2 iPads)...... AT&T is the only carrier of the 3 that offers zero senior plan so thatís a negative when compared to the other two)

Thanks in advance...,
Best service and best price are 2 different animals . I use Verizon as for the most part through out the country i have great signal . out west it is one of the best . i pay 89 for one line unlimited but it only cost me another $20 for a second line unlimited but cancelled it no need for a jet pack when the phones hot spot is same and faster

MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Best service and best price are 2 different animals . I use Verizon as for the most part through out the country i have great signal . out west it is one of the best . i pay 89 for one line unlimited but it only cost me another $20 for a second line unlimited but cancelled it no need for a jet pack when the phones hot spot is same and faster
Verizon appears to have better coverage on the road, in the boondocks.

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: 2017-39, 2018-61, 2019-64
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:18 PM   #4

We found Verizon is better in the Southwest also.
2016 Ford F350 Platnium
2017 Heartland Landmark 365
1989 Winnebago Super Chief
Nightshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

We have traveled fulltime since June 2015. I work a 9-5, M-F job online so not having connectivity is not an option.

We started with AT&T service until we got to the first place that my AT&T wasn't great but a neighbor's Verizon was good. We added a Verizon plan to our arsenal at that point.

To this day, we still carry both and I can definitely say that neither is significantly better than the other. Each has places that they work and the other doesn't; that they're better than the other; that they're slower than the other; and that they don't work vs. the other.

Neither has very good unlimited hotspot data options at this point (both of mine are, but they're grandfathered plans that are no longer offered). AT&T has a rental vendor (OTR Mobile) that is supposed to be truly unlimited.

And honestly, in snowbird locations - both suck. I'm outside of Orlando right now and neither is great. I keep toying with the idea of adding T-Mobile or Sprint.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #6

We use Visible, it runs on the Verizon network. $25 per month for unlimited everything when you join their party plan. I only have one line and pay the $25 monthly rate which includes all taxes and fees.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

I use Cricket (AT&T) two lines unlimited for $90 per month. I also have FMCA’s Sprint Hotspot, unlimited for $49.99 per month. They work well of course some places better than others.
RonGilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #8

Take all answers with a grain of salt.

The answer of "best" is:

The one that has a signal where you are camping, and the most cost effective unlimited data plan. I have the same ATT you do, and my unlimited plan is $188 a month including all fees and taxes. Two phones, me and wife, plus the GMC Hotspot in truck.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
What actual plan do you have? If it's their Shared Unlimited plan, you won't be able to get anything like it if you give it up.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We have traveled fulltime since June 2015. I work a 9-5, M-F job online so not having connectivity is not an option.

We started with AT&T service until we got to the first place that my AT&T wasn't great but a neighbor's Verizon was good. We added a Verizon plan to our arsenal at that point.

To this day, we still carry both and I can definitely say that neither is significantly better than the other. Each has places that they work and the other doesn't; that they're better than the other; that they're slower than the other; and that they don't work vs. the other.

Neither has very good unlimited hotspot data options at this point (both of mine are, but they're grandfathered plans that are no longer offered). AT&T has a rental vendor (OTR Mobile) that is supposed to be truly unlimited.

And honestly, in snowbird locations - both suck. I'm outside of Orlando right now and neither is great. I keep toying with the idea of adding T-Mobile or Sprint.
Take this for what its worth, but, I had T-Mobile for my wife's phone about 2 years ago and truthfully, it would work better when we were in China than almost anywhere here. I can't explain it, I just know how it was for us, I could sit in my living room here in lower Delaware and could not get a signal but, my verizon was 4bars.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #11

Just forget about T-Mobile. I could barely get a signal anywhere.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
Take this for what its worth, but, I had T-Mobile for my wife's phone about 2 years ago and truthfully, it would work better when we were in China than almost anywhere here. I can't explain it, I just know how it was for us, I could sit in my living room here in lower Delaware and could not get a signal but, my verizon was 4bars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Just forget about T-Mobile. I could barely get a signal anywhere.
Fortunately I have some friends here in the Orlando area who are on it. The nice part is that it's a smaller carrier and their towers are less likely to be overloaded.

I hear you, though. I don't expect there to be service much anywhere else.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #13

When you all say "unlimited", are you referring to data?
I have Spectrum for my hard wired into my house but have been toying with the idea of "cutting the cord" for my data plan. I don't have cable TV (don't want it) so it's only data.
My two biggest worries are 1) Speed. Right now I have 100 MBps. 2) Cost. I pay an extra $70 on top of my phone (AT&T) to Spectrum. Could I reduce my bill by combining both into one and still get the speeds I want at home?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #14

I work online and not having internet is not an option. We have VZ for our phones and ipads. (expensive). We have unlimited if we stream on devices. Hotspot is 15-20gigs per device in a given month. When it gets used up, it's throttled to 600k. We have an ATT hotspot with otw mobile. ($60/month) that is unlimited and not throttled. Used it now for over 9 months. It works good. Using it right now as I post this. We traveled from NC over to CO then WY, SD, MT, UT, NV, CA then over to TX. In all of that, ATT was the bomb. In CA we were out in Campo area and if it wasn't for ATT we would have had "zero" data. VZ was a big zero in CA where we were camping. We need both. Fortunately, VZ offers a nice Veteran discount. So if you are a Veteran, inquire. It's worth it. Saves me $40/month off my bill.

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer View Post
....We have an ATT hotspot with otw mobile. ($60/month) that is unlimited and not throttled. Used it now for over 9 months. It works good....
James
Not familiar with OTW, but what kind of speed do you get with it? If it truly isn't throttled, I could go with that, but we have two people in our house and we like to watch streaming video, like Netflix.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #16
Tundra 2014

Cell coverage

We came back from a six week stay in the states you named. Verizon was usually the only carrier where we got service. Same in South Dakota. Canceled our AT&T when we got back. Just spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone w/ AT&T sorting out billing errors, due to their mistakes. Spoke to 9 different people, 3 different departments and had to request a supervisor 3 times. Have Verizon and a jet pack. Much more pleased and less than AT&T and now have unlimited.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #17

Does Verizon throttle your jetpack after a certain amount? Also, what is your total cost?
Finally, I am concerned about traveling overseas with Verizon. Are they compatible with the cell towers around the world?
Old 01-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Not familiar with OTW, but what kind of speed do you get with it? If it truly isn't throttled, I could go with that, but we have two people in our house and we like to watch streaming video, like Netflix.
otrmobile . com

We watch netflix, youtubeTV, youtube, etc... I need to do remote desktop sessions with clients at times. we gave up on campground wifi. Impossible to watch anything or actually do any work on it. Absolutely useless. That's my opinion across 20 states. Throwing money away trying to use campground wifi. The att hotspot via otr has been very good to us.

I've seen speeds as high as 80mbit down and 30mbit up. "Generally" depending on location we can get enough speed to do most anything we want to do. Don't ya just love technology? 10 years ago, fulltime travel would have been impossible for my business.

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Does Verizon throttle your jetpack after a certain amount? Also, what is your total cost?
Finally, I am concerned about traveling overseas with Verizon. Are they compatible with the cell towers around the world?
The U.S. carriers are generally not available oversea. The question you need to ask is whether your phone or hotspot will work oversea. Most countries outside the USA use GSM cell phone technology so your device will need to support GSM or it will probably not work oversea. You would probably have to get a local sim card in the country you are traveling to put in your device.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:11 PM   #20
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
When you all say "unlimited", are you referring to data?
I have Spectrum for my hard wired into my house but have been toying with the idea of "cutting the cord" for my data plan. I don't have cable TV (don't want it) so it's only data.
My two biggest worries are 1) Speed. Right now I have 100 MBps. 2) Cost. I pay an extra $70 on top of my phone (AT&T) to Spectrum. Could I reduce my bill by combining both into one and still get the speeds I want at home?
When I talk about my unlimited service, I have plans that are no longer available. Each one is a hotspot device (Jetpack 7730l for Verizon and Unite for AT&T). Neither throttles after so much usage.

We consume internet on laptops, tablets, phones (if the hotspot service is better than the phone service), Roku sticks at TVs, Amazon Fire stick at another TV, and game systems (Wii and Switch- though they're minimal as I don't allow my son to do online gaming).

The speeds all depends on the area, time of year, and how many other people are on the same tower. I've seen speeds as fast as stormer reports (80mpbs down/30mbps up) but it's rare. On a good day, I'll see in the 10-20 mbps download range. More average is 5-10mpbs but it's typically plenty for my family of 4 to do whatever we want (streaming, working, etc). I "need" a minimum of 3-5mbps down in order to be able to effectively work.

In snowbird and remote areas, I've seen < 1mbps speeds that were all but unusable.

The speeds have been similar for Verizon and AT&T.

For your later post, I have no idea how international data works for either. Supposedly I have coverage for Canada with AT&T but the one time my mother-in-law took her hotspot up there, it didn't work.