Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2021, 06:45 AM   #1

Black and Gray tank burp

Folks,
Both Gray (when washing dishes) and black (when flushing toilets) burp, though the toilet doesn’t burp when the black tank line is open and draining into septic. Went on roof and the vent pipe had a mesh cover on it so doubt it could’ve gotten clogged from up top. Tried several other steps with no luck. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
MobileMFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #2
Commercial Member

MobileMFM, do you know the make and model of your coach? Also the last 7 of the VIN# would be very helpful as well.
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:20 AM   #3

2020 Berkshire XL
Last 7: CMJ9630
Thanks!
Old 06-21-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMFM View Post
Folks,
Both Gray (when washing dishes) and black (when flushing toilets) burp, though the toilet doesn’t burp when the black tank line is open and draining into septic. Went on roof and the vent pipe had a mesh cover on it so doubt it could’ve gotten clogged from up top. Tried several other steps with no luck. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Where you able to verify that nothing is impeding the vent from working?
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #5

Yep
Pushed water down both.
The one toward rear- water flowed in nicely
The one toward kitchen- water flowed in nicely as well as through the wall behind the fake picture frame where access panel for middle shower is.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:52 PM   #6

Has this been a problem all along or has it suddenly started to happen?
Oddly I would've gone with the blocked vent especially when you mentioned that it goes away when dump valve is opened but you verified it is open. Though I'm wondering if its still got a partial blockage. Water could still flow with a partial blockag. Anyway to shine a light and look down it or is it capped?
If has been a problem all along I'm wondering if its still under warranty?
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:58 PM   #7

Great points!
- It has a 360 cap on it, and when I remove it, there is a plastic mesh cover that is part of the PVC connection which I'm hesitant to saw off or break off. I pointed the hose down it with pressure and waited to see if water eventually backs up and it didn't though interestingly it leaked behind the mid-ship bathroom wall by the kitchen.
- The only reason I thought it was gray and black tank was that the kitchen sink bubbles too, but I've been reading that some kitchen sinks flow into black as well (not gray necessarily).
- The problem just started with this miserable Disney trip from Utah... aside from the escapades with the AC data cable going out, water pump stopping working, and the fireplace being out, it looks like I'm getting a delayed shake down period 18 months after buying and using the rig.
Thanks in advance for tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Has this been a problem all along or has it suddenly started to happen?
Oddly I would've gone with the blocked vent especially when you mentioned that it goes away when dump valve is opened but you verified it is open. Though I'm wondering if its still got a partial blockage. Water could still flow with a partial blockag. Anyway to shine a light and look down it or is it capped?
If has been a problem all along I'm wondering if its still under warranty?
Old 06-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #8
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMFM View Post
Great points!
- It has a 360 cap on it, and when I remove it, there is a plastic mesh cover that is part of the PVC connection which I'm hesitant to saw off or break off. I pointed the hose down it with pressure and waited to see if water eventually backs up and it didn't though interestingly it leaked behind the mid-ship bathroom wall by the kitchen.
- The only reason I thought it was gray and black tank was that the kitchen sink bubbles too, but I've been reading that some kitchen sinks flow into black as well (not gray necessarily).
- The problem just started with this miserable Disney trip from Utah... aside from the escapades with the AC data cable going out, water pump stopping working, and the fireplace being out, it looks like I'm getting a delayed shake down period 18 months after buying and using the rig.
Thanks in advance for tips!
What is the dealer telling you about getting these items fixed? Also a lot of times if your the first time owner its worth calling the warranty department at the plant, some times they will goodwill some work, as we try to be partners with our customers, I can not speak if they will or they wont but its always worth a shot. Try calling 574-522-1368
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #9

following
Old 06-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #10

On our houseboat, the vent went horizontal (with two 90 degree turns) for 4 feet before going up. It clogged early on and caused the aluminum black tank to expand and bend some substantial angle iron supports. With the 360 wind cap, I wouldn't think you'd need the screen. If it leaked, then maybe it is clogged below the leak.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #11

Great idea! I'll take the 360 cap off and see if I can pass a snake down instead of blowing water down the pipe.
Have a great evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
On our houseboat, the vent went horizontal (with two 90 degree turns) for 4 feet before going up. It clogged early on and caused the aluminum black tank to expand and bend some substantial angle iron supports. With the 360 wind cap, I wouldn't think you'd need the screen. If it leaked, then maybe it is clogged below the leak.

Tags
black, tank