Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to RNuzzolo Send a message via MSN to RNuzzolo Send a message via Yahoo to RNuzzolo
Black Tank Leak

Has anyone had an issue with the black tank plumbing between the tank and the dump valve leaking? I've developed a small leak on this pipe but cannot get at it to check it or repair it. There is a white board with the outside shower faucet in front of this black water pipe and I cannot see how to remove it. I've included a picture of the board that is in my way. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove this so I can be sure where this leak is?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140909_110547_429.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	62700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140909_110600_496.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	62701  
RNuzzolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #2

There is nothing worse than a black tank leak! I had a similar leak develop after experiencing a "water hammer" event. I turned too close to a stop sign and it jarred the coach so violently that it sent black water with the force of a hammer toward the outlet. This caused the flange at the end of the tank to crack. Did you jar your coach? In an effort to fix the leak, I cut a square hole in the white wall because the alternative was to dismantle the entire water bay. When I first looked at removing panels, I found screws in places that I could not access. There are ways to repair polyethelene but my unit is in the shop waiting for a back tank replacement. Good luck.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to RNuzzolo Send a message via MSN to RNuzzolo Send a message via Yahoo to RNuzzolo
I do not remember jarring the coach enough to cause something like this but I have been driving in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia for 3 months and may have been on a bad road or two. When you cut a hole in the white wall were you able to see the problem? Sorry to hear you have to replace your tank.

Thanks for your reply
Old 09-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #4

Yes. My black tank is on the right. By cutting a roughly 10x 8 hole I could see and work on the flange and outlet pipe. If I had been successful, I would have placed a white cover over the hole.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #5

I had my gray tank replaced and they had to cut that board out to get it out. I didn't see them cut it but I did see it removed. The replaced the tank and put a new white board in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #6

I only wish it had been my grey tank
Old 09-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #7

Good idea about the white cover. Had not thought of that. I'll work on this as soon as I get a place convenient and then post a reply. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #8

Mine is leaking also

Mine is leaking at the joint where the pipe from the black tank attaches to the "y" joint right before the valve. I talked to Forest River and he said it takes about an hour to remove everything to get to the area. He did not mention cutting anything out.

My coach is a still under warranty so I will have to take it back to the shop for repair...
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #9

I had a leak in a similar location of the black tank. I thought it was just the discharge pipe that needed replacement. I had an extended warranty and they ended up replacing the whole black tank. Fortunately, the warranty covered it.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #10

I'm waiting to hear back from Mitch at FR to see if there is an easier way to access these pipe. Thank you for your reply.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #11

I certainly hope mine is not a black tank itself leak. thanks for you reply
Old 09-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #12

Good luck. Hopefully FR will be able to help you out. Black waste is nasty.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNuzzolo View Post
I'm waiting to hear back from Mitch at FR to see if there is an easier way to access these pipe. Thank you for your reply.
Did you hear from Mitch?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #14

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410917434.558666.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	800.5 KB
ID:	62933
Old 09-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #15

This was the crack at the end of my black tank. Very tiny but very nasty
Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #16

That's exactly what my gray tank did. It was caused by the line going into the tank being ridged and the top of the tank flexing. As the tank filled it flexes and the line coming in being ridged something has to give and it wS the tank. The cutout in the tank was to far in from the corner. They like them to be in the corner as that doesn't flex as much. At the diesel plant they showed me the change they made because if this. The use a flex hose in the line now to hopefully fix the issue. They tried to patch it twice but no way was that working. The tank needed to be replaced.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:24 AM   #17

I did and he said the only way to get at this pipe is to cut the board out and replace it. I guess that is what I'm going to do or cut a hole and see what I can see. Thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 03:26 AM   #18

Thanks for the picture.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNuzzolo View Post
I did and he said the only way to get at this pipe is to cut the board out and replace it. I guess that is what I'm going to do or cut a hole and see what I can see. Thanks
My Berk is still under factory warranty, so I will have to take it in so they can do this. I will let them know that it has to be cut out.

This would have been very easy to design so that it could be removed and replaced. I wonder why they didn't do that?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #20

Poor engineering but that engineer is no longer employed by FR, not that it helps much now.

Tags
black, black tank, leak, tank