Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #1

Black tank leaks

My black water leaking at the connection from the tank to the pipe looks like from bouncing of the drain valves. I have looked at the photos of new tanks & they have a bracket to hold the drain system from bouncing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by outloud View Post
My black water leaking at the connection from the tank to the pipe looks like from bouncing of the drain valves. I have looked at the photos of new tanks & they have a bracket to hold the drain system from bouncing.

My 2010 had a similar issue. The tube actually cracked at the entrance to the tank. I replaced that tank. Makes me wonder if there is a flaw specific to the 2010. Any issues with your ultra leather seats?
Will
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #3

No the seats are fine so far.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #4

Did you replace the tank your self. Or did you have it done. And was it expensive.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

Two years ago I had my gray tank start leaking at the Goshen Rally. Timing is everything. This is a big job and the inputs didn't line up.
If you have a helper and basic plumbing you should be able handle this.
Mine is a 2011 390RB so I have one extra line come from the back toilet. I saw them try to seal it 3 times and finely gave it up. We went to the factory the Monday after the rally and when they dropped the tank the fitting going into the tank was ridged. So as the tank filled to very full it would bulge up and it cracked the tank. The way they do this now is the lines coming into the tank have a flex hose. This should keep it from from cracking again.
I did see all the builds on the line had this flex hose so they changed how they did this from my build around September 2011 to August 2014. The flex hose isn't like rubber it's still very strong but has just enough flex to keep the fitting from cracking.
I hope this makes sense I had my knee replaced two weeks ago and had to take a pain pill. It's taken to type this.
Phil

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #6

On my unit, the plenum had to be removed to access the tank. I am a strong diy advocate, but this job required a pro. The cost for the tank, about$165. The labor brought it to about $1100. I was involved in the process and agree with the high labor cost. It was difficult and nasty!
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #7

Thank you for your help. I decided to call Forestriver order a new tank. Then made a call to the local dealer he said no problem. I had to take the water department all apart just to see the leak. And yes I'm also physically impossible to due the job.

Tags
black, black tank, leak, tank