Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

Blue Ox True Center

Ok...I took the plunge. Got a really good price that I couldn't resist. Hopefully I'll be able to install it next week. Will post results.....
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #2

So how good is a good deal. I'm going to the FMCA rally in Goshen next week and that's on the short list of things I want. How difficult is it to install?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #3

About $900 with the adapter plate. Most other places I checked were around $1100-1200. Found a good price on Amazon and etrailer.com gave it their 110% price match, saving me about $70 over Amazon's great price.

I saw a you tube video on install, Phil, and it didn't look too difficult. Just mostly concerned about wiring. Will fill you in, with pics if I can figure out how to put them on to thread.

Rich
Old 06-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #4

Forgot to say, also, that price is for the 270lb version, not the 160.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #5

I got the True Center install finished today. I did that and put an amp in for the front speakers I put in to replace the stocks a while ago. The true center install is doable, but I spent most of my time figuring out what to do with the wiring, and then laying that out. The stabilizer is the easy part (in my opinion) The install looks very easy when viewing the one on youtube, but I think that guy has done this before. I have a large variety of tools, and if you just have average tools, I would probably pay to have it done. You need a torque wrench, 1 1/8 socket and box end wrench. I drilled the hole too large for the button, so if anyone else is installing, be careful here. Haven't road tested it yet, but will tomorrow. I've got about $900 wrapped up in it, so it's your call whether it's worth paying someone else to do it.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #6

Thanks for the update, can't wait to hear how noticeable the difference driving is. I got a chance to drive a Newmar with the comfort drive and I was impressed how it helped eliminate most of the counter steering input needed.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #7

Got a chance for a quick ride back to the storage area. First impression, in the neighborhood (25) mph, steering effort/resistance increased. Noticeable, but not harsh. Then on larger road at 35 mph, noticed pulling to the left. Pushed button and made correction....straight ahead from there. Next on to freeway for about 5 minutes. Too short for evaluation, but handling seemed secure (although the stock FL chassis is very good). Will travel for a short trip Friday and get to use it more. Really looking forward to seeing the difference in windy conditions since the Berk is stable enough in normal conditions.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #8

I wish I had one to try out today. Driving across Kansas and then into Colorado had stready 30 to 40 mph cross wind with gusts as high as 60 mph. Berkshire are like a kite in those winds. Tore up 2 slide toppers not to say the nerves I have exhausted. This would have been a great test for the Blue ox tru center. I had considered getting one but was not sure it was worth it after talking to several people. Wish I had one it might have saved some of the white knuckles I had all day.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #9

Did a short jaunt on Friday to a nearby campground and had a chance to check out the true center. Winds were unusually high, so it was a good test (Although not like the west or the hell wind I found once in Tennessee). I do notice a difference when the gusts hit the coach. It is more subdued and doesn't seem to just grab the wheel from your fingers. I also did an adjustment to turn the wheels into the wind to minimize that condition. Worked well, but winds were more gusty, so not much of a chance to test. Going to New York next week so will do an update then.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #10

Rich
Thanks for the updates. I looked at them at Glamarama and was impressed with it. I had a long talk with the guy selling them. He put his on himself and had some insight on how difficult it was to do. He didn't torque the nuts down he just tighten them as tight as he could. He said the spec is there to insure that you get it all tight enough. I don't know if that's true or not but that was his opinion. I think I will wait until after your trip to be sure it's working well for you but I'm thinking this is a good part to add. I was driving home last night from Goshen on 131 just past Middleberry and failed to see how rough the RR tracks were. Hit them at 55 and the steering wheel was jerked out of my hand. I would think it would feel about the same with a blow out. I am convinced that I need some type of device on my front axel so I think it might as well be the Blue Ox product.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #11

Phil, I know the railroad tracks that you're talking about. Hit them last year at 55 also and had a piece of wood fell out from under the dash. Worst tracks ever, and no markings indicating that they are so uneven. I did the same thing with tightening my bolts. Torqued to 150, put on a breaker bar and tightened as tight as I could. Used red thread locker on one side and blue on the other. I just bought a torque wrench that goes to 250 ft/lbs, so I'll check them. The rubber is so squished down already, I don't think much more tightening is possible. I have a 3/4 air impact wrench, but there's not enough room to get under the bar without raising the coach, so I couldn't use it. If I can figure out how to post pics to this site, I'll show some of how I did the wiring and mounting the switch.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #12

Thanks Rich. I would like to do it myself to save some money. I have the knowledge to do it just not sure if I can physically do it.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #13

Phil. Just finished a 13 hour trip to NY and all I've got to say is, get this thing. We ran into all kinds of weather, so it was a good test. Only readjusted a couple of times....and that was more about me playing with it. The real difference is in the added force keeping those wheels from wanting to turn out with peripheral influences (wind/trucks, etc.) I think that the install process is reasonable. Physically, the hardest part is hanging the truecenter. The wiring just takes some thought and I can fill you in on the ways that I found to do it on the Berk....I'm sure ours are similar. If you don't want to do the install, maybe you can get a good price on the part and find a garage to do it. CW only installs what they sell, so that won't help. I've got about $900 and my time in it. Good luck....

Rich
Old 06-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #14

Thanks for the update Rich. I will start shopping. After that RR crossing I know I need something on it and for a little more than a steer-safe I think you get a lot of extra benefits.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #15

Rich if you get a chance take a picture of the placement of the button. Did you put it on the left by the transmission control?

Old 06-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #16

Almost forgot enjoy the trip!

Old 06-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Rich if you get a chance take a picture of the placement of the button. Did you put it on the left by the transmission control?

Phil. Embarrassing as this is, I don't know how to put a pic up. Tell me how and I will gladly do it. If I can send one from my phone, I'll send it tonight (unless I have my beer goggles on)

Rich
Old 06-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #18

Sending from the phone is easy but I don't know how to do it on the computer. On the phone there us two icons a camera and a file. The camera will let you just take the pic

Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #19

Will try pics now.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #20

Can't figure out how to post from phone....

Tags
blue ox