Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

Bolts on AC Unit

I have a 2008 Berk and the headliner has come unglued all around the front AC unit. I'm planning to take it down, but when I pulled the AC cover, I found it sandwiched the headliner and there are four long bolts going up to the roof. I wanted to know if I can loosen or remove them safely and then get them back in without too much hassle? I have never removed or worked on an AC unit and the last thing I want is to remove the bolts only to find out I can't line them back up with the nuts or whatever is on the other side up out of my line of sight.

Because the darn thing uses the headliner as one side of the air ducts, it inflates every time we turn it on and try to use the ducts...we just leave it the vent open so it dumps all the air straight out right now. Dang frustrating.

I'm thinking about getting a 4x8 sheet of 1/8 luan and spray mounting the headliner to that and then mounting the whole thing into place so that there's something substantial to hold the air.

Thoughts?
smo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #2

As long as you don't attempt to move the compressor section or tow the camper while the bolts are removed. Make a mark on the bolts as to their depth into the top so you can tighten them back to the original depth.
MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
Professional Curmudgeon

Those bolts are what holds your AC unit on. As long as you don't move it around, you should be able to thread them back in without any problems. Between the AC unit and the roof is a gasket; when you tighten those bolts they compress that gasket, providing a water tight seal between the AC and the roof. Too loose or too tight and you'll get leaks.
Once you remove the lower section of the AC unit you'll be able to see the ducting more easily. In most cases this ducting is nothing more than a tunnel created by the removal of insulation in the roof. Rather than installing luan as a stiffener, you might consider a similar thickness of styrofoam sheet. It'll be lighter and won't reveal a wood grain "print" in the headliner when the two are glued together.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote