Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #1

Boondocks

We are at Goshen and sorta set up. Out in BFE and not loving it but oh well. We are next to another Berk and he isn't thrilled either. I can live with no sewer and 30 amp but do we really need to park Class A MH on the most unlevel two sites in the fairgrounds? We both just gave up and are living with a up hill non level site. Not my favorite start. Beer time.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

Do they try to get all the Berks together?
Old 08-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

Not at all. Not sure why but they spread us out. I don't know how they assign lots but we are in what they call the overflow. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was level or even close but it's not. Mostly I was to tired to mess with it anymore and gave up after an hour or so. I don't usually deal with unlevel sites and will just not except the lot. If I can't find a level lot I will move on to another CG. Obviously this is a different situation and with the FG full assigning lots is tough. I did see lots of empty full hook up sites empty yet so I'm not sure how they do it.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

Well that sucks.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #5

Can't blame you for not being a Happy Camper, Phil.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #6

I happy now. Went to the gun show with Marty and Tom. Nice afternoon.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post

Nothing like looking at guns to make a man happy, buying them, even happier!!
Old 08-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
It's the next best thing to USING them!!!!

Just took my new Mossberg 500 out for a couple of shots. Not bad on the recoil, which surprised me since it has no shoulder stock; it's fired from the hip. Did one bird shot 3 inch magnum load and one 2.75 inch 00 buck. No difference in kick that I could notice.

I love the thing. Looks like an "assualt shotgun"; really badass.

My next purchase will be a police grade TASER, which I will carry EVERYWHERE I go. Just to many nut cases out there anymore for my tastes.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
It's the next best thing to USING them!!!!

Just took my new Mossberg 500 out for a couple of shots. Not bad on the recoil, which surprised me since it has no shoulder stock; it's fired from the hip. Did one bird shot 3 inch magnum load and one 2.75 inch 00 buck. No difference in kick that I could notice.

I love the thing. Looks like an "assualt shotgun"; really badass.

My next purchase will be a police grade TASER, which I will carry EVERYWHERE I go. Just to many nut cases out there anymore for my tastes.

Boowho??
Love my Mossberg 500; take it when I head up into Grizzly country and keep it loaded with Brenneke 600 grain slugs

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Love my Mossberg 500; take it when I head up into Grizzly country and keep it loaded with Brenneke 600 grain slugs
That should take down most any big old nasty bear; especially if you have time to rack a second and maybe third shell.

I see there was a fatal mauling in Yellowstone over the week end. It's interesting because if you are in any area that is outside of the bears "marked" territory, they will literally walk right past you; that is NOT their territory and they respect yours. There are exceptions of course. YMMV.

Boowho??
Old 08-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

I still prefer bear spray since the 500 is for inside the trailer only. (I do carry a .44 short barrel mag...as a final solution).
Many will say bear spray does not work, but from experience it will send a bear in the other direction. I don't hike without it in bear country.

I read about a study done in the mountains of CA. The bears would not attack joggers cause over the years they determined they were not a problem but might attack a hiker.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I still prefer bear spray since the 500 is for inside the trailer only. (I do carry a .44 short barrel mag...as a final solution).
Many will say bear spray does not work, but from experience it will send a bear in the other direction. I don't hike without it in bear country.

I read about a study done in the mountains of CA. The bears would not attack joggers cause over the years they determined they were not a problem but might attack a hiker.
Wait a sec, moab...... You're going to use the 500 INSIDE your unit with the 600 grain slug you mentioned?? You want to blow the whole end of the coach out?? I thought you said you used the slug for potential bear problems when you go hiking???

I figure my 00 buck will do MAJOR damage to my coach should I ever have to fire it. But if saving my life, to hell with the coach.

Am I misreading your previous posts??

Boowho??
Old 08-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #13

I don't want to be next door if that slug is fired. I would think a 5-6 size shot would be a little safer and still do the job. Maybe even 7 or 9 shot.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #14

As I said, "I head up into Grizzly country" didn't say hiking, in bear country. I have a popup and bears are known (not common) to claw their way through the tent material; not hard to do I might say. So if one does, he will be sucking on a slug. Now bear spray in a confined area would be as bad for you as the bear.

Carrying a shotgun in bear country might be considered to be "hunting." But inside a camper; it is self-protection. A 44 mag is considered more or less self-protection when hiking. Just one of those things you have to watch out for.

And yes, it would be a deafening experience, in or out of the trailer. But losing one's hearing for a a while is better than becoming a snack for a bear.

As for the slug, it stays a slug pretty much all the way through. I have fired it into some dead trees in the BLM lands around Moab (legally I might add) and it makes a hole about an inch in diameter, and does not expand that much. You don't want them to expand like a JHP round.

I have had a few bears wonder through my campsites in the Shoshone NF at night. So far, none have done more than walk around.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #15

Quote:
I don't want to be next door if that slug is fired. I would think a 5-6 size shot would be a little safer and still do the job. Maybe even 7 or 9 shot.
Most places where I camp in bear country, there is NO next door, short of a half mile away. And it will only be used as a last resort.

Only other alternative I would consider would be 00 ought.

In a campground where the next trailer is about 10 feet away, almost any round could be a problem. Even my .40 with JPHs would be a problem, and my .44 with 300gr Corbon Flat nose would be a big problem.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #16

Well back to the hilly site. We ( Bob and Genny) get moved to a nice flat site. Mike moved mountains ( maybe not mountains but ) and found us a couple of great level sites. Very happy and enjoying the rally.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Well back to the hilly site. We ( Bob and Genny) get moved to a nice flat site. Mike moved mountains ( maybe not mountains but ) and found us a couple of great level sites. Very happy and enjoying the rally.

Now find out about our pooper problems, OK??

Boowho??
Old 08-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Now find out about our pooper problems, OK??

Boowho??
Not sure if we want to know about "pooper problems."

Old 08-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #19

This is a classic example of the difference between the US and Canada. You can in Grizzly territory in an RV and want to arm yourselves with Cannons. I used to tent camp and work in Grizzly territory and used nothing more than a flare pen and bear banger to keep the bears away. Yes .... believe it or not they are very effective. With smoke or flash flares they are also very useful for signalling.

http://www.mec.ca/product/4007-146/t...-launcher-kit/
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #20

And this is why threads are closed.