Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #1

Brownout registering on Precision Plex

We have a 2019 Berkshire 39BH with a Precision Plex touch screen.

We have been receiving brownouts on the lines inside the coach. It is not limited to one line (one time it's line 1, one time it's line 2 and sometimes its both).
1. We have checked the voltage at the pedestal and everything is good there (123-124 per leg, 240 combined).
2. We checked the voltage coming into the transfer case, everything is good there (122-124 per leg).
3. We checked the voltage at the 50 amp breaker (main) and everything is good there (122-124 per leg).
4. We checked the outlets and have enough at all the outlets (119-123 per outlet).
5. Had a brownout on line 1 this morning and checked the lines and outlets including the GFI's and there is adequate power.

Has anyone had issues with the Plex not measuring correctly? It has displayed as low as 19 amps on a line and a draw of 4 volts. We don't want out AC units to burn out the compressors due to low voltage but haven't been able to figure out if there is an issue in the wiring or if it's an issue with the Plex not registering correctly.
Wingnut647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #2

In 2019 there was a 39B and a XL 40BH but no 39BH. There should be a sticker to the left of your door that tells you which one you have.
Here is the contact number for Precision Plex: 630-515-9100 (ext. 704 is a guy named Dan and he is really helpful).
You may need to do a reset on the Precision Plex. They can tell you how to do it.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #3

Ours does that all the time when the screen first "wakes" from sleep - it usually returns to normal within a few seconds. The Progressive Industries EMS that the camper is plugged into has never registered a problem so I've chalked it up to, as we say in the aviation world, an instrumentation issue.

If you do contact the Precision Plex folks, please report back on what they say.
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #4

Thanks. I mistyped. It’s a 40BH
Wingnut647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut647 View Post
Thanks. I mistyped. It’s a 40BH
Ok. Understood. Good luck with Precision Plex. If you can't get the answer you need PM me and I can try to find someone else that can help.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
Commercial Member

This is a case where the Precision Circuits system is almost showing you more information than is needed and certainly when you see something that says "Brown Out" it would be worrisome. But thankfully it is not. Lets say you are plugged into shore power at a camp ground, with many hook ups on the power grid. There is a chance that there could be a fluctuation or moderate surge in power. When this happens the Precision Circuits touch screen displays a "Brown Out" as it just took a snap shot in time reading of the incoming power and noticed a surge. When your screen does show a "Brown Out" on one of your legs, simply tap where it says it and it will clear the screen. You aren't experiencing an issue with your unit and all is good. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with power your hooked up to either.

Hopefully this helps.

Tim Cunningham
TCDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #7

Our 2019 40D XL showed a brown out on one or both legs every single day at the RV resort in Tucson for 4 months straight. Of course now it’s at the dealer no brown outs. Stupid thing. Seems meaningless.
G Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #8

I spoke to Danny two days ago about the brownouts. Here is what is happening and how to correct the problem. The engineers set the threshold too low to detect a drop in voltage. It only takes a nano second of low voltage to trigger a brownout. They have corrected this, but you need to install a new display. Danny will send you a new display free of charge, however you need to send him a picture of your software display.

Take a picture of the following display: click on the gear wheel in the upper left hand corner, click on the time tab towards the bottom on the left hand side, click on the upper part of the display (I think it says setting time), now the display will show all kinds of information and a sw number. Send this picture in an email to Danny, he will send out a new display and you return the old display to him. To remove the old display take a small screwdriver and undo the four tabs on the left & right side of the unit. Remove the bezel around the display, now unscrew the four screws that hold the unit to the wall, remove the unit and disconnect the telephone like jack on the back. Take the new unit, plug in the cord, push the unit back into the wall, screw in the four screws and snap on the bezel. Presto.

Here is Danny's email address: d.dinovo@precisioncircuitsinc.com his phone is 630-515-9100 ext 704 another email address is: tech@precisioncircuitsinc.com

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:57 AM   #9

Thanks for the information. I noticed the same brownout warning last year on my travels out west. It did scare me enough to shut down the air more than once and to run the generator. I'll check it out when I pull the Motorhome out of storage next week.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #10

That is the same thing that mine did. I spoke with Dan and he sent me a new display. Solved the problem. Also solved the problem of my engine block heater circuit not shutting down. Now that works fine also.
2016 Ford F350 Platnium
2017 Heartland Landmark 365
1989 Winnebago Super Chief
Nightshifter is offline   Reply With Quote