Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Bully Dog

Hi I have a 2008 39ft. Berkshire 340hp cummings since new and would like any info on the Bully Dog system if anyone has tried it or should I forget it.
Dream Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #2

I assume you are talking about one of their after-market turbo-charger products?? If not just ignore the rest of this.

IMHO, those types of products if not engineered by someone who REALLY knows his stuff, could really be damaging to your engine. Anytime you try to get more HP/torque out an engine by "hopping it up" you are also dramatically cutting the reliability of that engine.

Piston engine aircraft (needing EXTREME reliability, right??) are engineered to have just about the lowest compression ratio of any internal combustion engine. For example a Lycoming 540 cubic inch displacement only produces 250 HP. There's a reason for that..... The engine is NEVER working very hard and therefore has a very high degree of reliability.

Basically if you want to "play" you have to "pay".

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #3

Just one opinion I had a Bully Dog tuner on my diesel pu when I bought it.....It was masking an engine code............ It fell off & into the trash can.....truck now has no issues & runs the same or a little better without it. Also could not get any support from Bully Dog on an older tuner.........

Some people love them but after my issues I have decided there is a reason the factory set the engine up the way they did.........I am leaving mine alone......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #4

If you search around on this and other forums you'll find that you can boost the engines just fine with a good tuner, however the weak link is the Allison MH2500 transmission that your coach (and mine) is equipped with. It isn't reliable with more torque being put through it, from what I have read. Now if you had the 360hp cummins, it comes with the MH3000 tranny and it can take much more torque through it. If you do decide to give the Bully Dog a try or Banks etc keep us posted. I'd love to pour more power to mine but not willing to sacrifice and reliability at this point.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote