Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #1

Bump in ceiling.

Has anyone seen this before? It just showed up about a week ago. It is in the front of the coach about 18" on front of the vent fan. If I push on it it feels like a seam under the ceiling material is not even. I can't move it if I push hard. Any info/advice would be great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2221777683.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	16556  
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #2

Hard to tell from just that pic. Any changes on the exterior part of the roof? Is you AC still draining properly up there?
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #3

Yes the ac is draining fine. I also went on roof and there is no bump up there. Just the in side. I will try to take a better picture. But if you look in front of the lights you will see the bump across the whole roof. I am hoping is just cosmetic and not a structural problem.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #4

The fiberglass roof of the Berkshire is a sandwich of Fiberglass, thin plywood, foam sheet. aluminum frame, thin plywood, and vinyl ceiling cover. It appears to be along a seam between abutting plywood(luan) sheets. The bump could be the result of swelling of the luan due to moisture or change in allignment of luan sheets. You may be able to get a better view of the area by removing the vent frame or a/c cover and exposing the luan. The vinyl ceiling material will hide most moisture problems.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood390bh View Post
The vinyl ceiling material will hide most moisture problems.
I agree. Water damage may first appear in an area totally unrelated to the location of the actual leak. Water will enter, then travel along pathways to a pooling point where the swelling will first be noticed.

An edge seam in the luan will absorb water faster than the face of the board (especially if covered in vinyl).

Check for water intruding around the AC and running down to the seam.
Check the roof edge seams near the location of the swelling.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #6

I haven't found any leaks. Further it looks like it goes all the way across and when pushing on it it feels as if it is the same thickness of a bump all the way across. If it was water intrusion it wouldn't be the same the entire length plus I would think it would be spongy of I pushed on it. This seem solid almost like the panel wasn't lined up proper at the factory and they went over it with the ceiling material and it's now just starting to show. I hope that's what it is anyway.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Rollin' on

Check top of roof. Run your hand from front to back and see if you feel a "dip" in the roof. The roof system on the(did'nt catch the year?) 2011's ARE NOT 1 piece. We are on our second outer roof. Soon to be 3rd.. Newly replaced (oct 2011) is full of bubbles.
wildside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #8

I went up yesterday and checked. I didn't see a dip or that is was two piece. Mine is a 2012 so maybe the roof is different. We are camping in Montana for a few weeks. Once I get home I will call a water damage company to bring there moisture detection equipment and check it for me.