Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
BobbyJ

Bumping Noise Behind Driver on 2016 38A

Hey, anyone notice the banging hollow sound coming from the slide wall just behind the driver on the 38A? Driving me crazier, cause she says I am already...well you know.

Turn up the radio is one answer, but then I can't get the proper guidance I need coming from the other chair.

I spoke to FR. They said there is a vertical bar that makes the noise, inside the wall cavity...part of the slide mechanism.

Anyone try to fix this yet?

Thanks

BobbyJ from State College
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #2

We have noticed the same thing......

it has gotten a little worse lately , same exact thing you are hearing ...havent tried to do anything about yet , we can tell it is interior ...
jpcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #3

I thought that noise on our coach could be the slide topper buffeting in the wind.
I am still trying to figure out the squeek coming from around the driver's window.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #4
BobbyJ

Here is how much I know so far. I have not tried to remedy yet, but the problem is with the Schwintek slide mechanism. If you Youtube schwintek you will see a lot of "how to fix" the schwintek slide. It is a very precise, but tricky slide design.

FR says we moved this from the travel trailer to the motorhome, not realizing the vertical support bar will bang inside the wall cavity. Not a problem for travel trailers of course, but in the MOHO we are driving it down the road with the thing on top of our ears.

FR says I can somehow reach it from the slide seals and use a foam pipe insulator. After I try this, I will post. Thanks, BobbyJ

P.S. I already pulled the fridge out thinking it was inside that area. Nope. But while I was in there I disconnected the ice maker solenoid valve so that baby won't freeze, and I won't ever need to winterize my fridge. I don't plan on making ice from campground water anyway.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #5

Driving me crazy too

I've had this problem for some time and yes it is also driving me crazy. I took off the seal on the inside but there is no way to access anything there. I'm about ready to start drilling 2" holes in the wall to see what I can see. Let me know if you find a solution.
smain980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:07 PM   #6

let us know how your efforts turn out , bobbyj....

.i am not usually so picky as i dont expect a moho to be perfectly quiet , but the only real noise we have is this one .....let us know if you are able to solve and how you went about it, ...thanks a bunch ..jpcammper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyj View Post
Here is how much I know so far. I have not tried to remedy yet, but the problem is with the Schwintek slide mechanism. If you Youtube schwintek you will see a lot of "how to fix" the schwintek slide. It is a very precise, but tricky slide design.

FR says we moved this from the travel trailer to the motorhome, not realizing the vertical support bar will bang inside the wall cavity. Not a problem for travel trailers of course, but in the MOHO we are driving it down the road with the thing on top of our ears.

FR says I can somehow reach it from the slide seals and use a foam pipe insulator. After I try this, I will post. Thanks, BobbyJ

P.S. I already pulled the fridge out thinking it was inside that area. Nope. But while I was in there I disconnected the ice maker solenoid valve so that baby won't freeze, and I won't ever need to winterize my fridge. I don't plan on making ice from campground water anyway.
jpcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:31 AM   #7

On some coaches, the mud flap behind the front wheels was not secured properly. A couple of sheet metal screws solved the issue.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #8

OK, we are having the same exact issue. Whole time, while driving, it sounds like a board is loose somewhere inside of wall of Lg slide-out that is banging against inside of wall and whenever we stop, and then take off again, it sounds like a loose screw is rolling around inside the ceiling of slide-out. Driving us Crazy!! We talked to Mitch at Forest River and he totally identified the problem, as has been mentioned already in this post, (something within the slide mechanism) and is a relatively easy fix. We are actually bringing ours in on Monday July 18, to have it done. They said it is a 4 hour job, but the place we are bring it to for repair, Redlands Truck and RV in Redland, CA said they will need two days to complete the repair. Hummm. Will be happy to get the banging fixed! The place does not have a contract with FR to do warranty work, so we got approval from FR to go ahead and get it done, we will pay for it and then they said to submit invoice to them and they will reimburse us. The repair estimate was just under $500.00.
L2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
I thought that noise on our coach could be the slide topper buffeting in the wind.
I am still trying to figure out the squeek coming from around the driver's window.
I thought that it was the topper too, but we checked everything out and it was not that. It is something loose in the slide mechanism inside the slideout. Mitch at FR Identified the issue and said it is an easy repair. Takes about 4 hrs to repair and costs slightly under $500.00. Ours is driving us crazy. Its going into Repair Center on Monday for the fix. Will be so happy to get rid of that banging sound while we are driving. It is so annoying.
L2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #10

L2RV - You say that FR has identified the problem; but what exactly is the problem. Can you please get more info. on the problem when you get yours fixed on the 18th. FR says it is an easy fix; does not seem so if it takes 4 hours.
Hank
Old 07-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #11

Now that you've pointed it out, I notice it all the time. Thanks A LOT!!!
bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #12

Made first trip in 2017 38a this week, and I dont have a bump, but I do have one loud squeaking noise behind driver seat, and had someone brace against the refrig and it then goes away. I am going to try and wedge foam in between refrig and wall and see what happens. Noise is driving me crazy.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #13
BobbyJ

Ok, I gave it one more try. After looking at the Schwintec videos and service manual (on-line), I tried to use some foam pipe insulation. I wedged it into the tiny cavity behind the seals, hoping it would insulate the axel from the "H" channel. However, I did not notice any improvement, but I could "twang" the axel inside the "H" channel, so I still think I am on the right track. The foam insulation eventually was spit out when I opened and closed the Schwintec slide.

When I place my hand on the slide wall, you can feel something banging on that wall. Folks, you only have to move the coach front or back about 1 or 2 feet to hear and feel something rapping on the wall. It is loud too. Like maybe 65 to 75 decibels, same as the radio.

OK, where is the Dremel tool. I removed the fridge. When I got in there I set the tool to 1/4" and removed two large circles from the interior wall panel that is not well secured. Another wall panel. I did not venture into that portion of the wall. I am ready to return to Elkhart. I wrote an email to Mitch Wirt and hope he will advise me on what is next. Thanks everyone for there input on this issue.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Made first trip in 2017 38a this week, and I dont have a bump, but I do have one loud squeaking noise behind driver seat, and had someone brace against the refrig and it then goes away. I am going to try and wedge foam in between refrig and wall and see what happens. Noise is driving me crazy.
Yes, I have been looking for that squeaking sound for months!! It's like Chinese water torture!! I will try bracing against the fridge to see if that is it. If it is, I owe you a beer!!
Thanks for the info!
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 07-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Yes, I have been looking for that squeaking sound for months!! It's like Chinese water torture!! I will try bracing against the fridge to see if that is it. If it is, I owe you a beer!!
Thanks for the info!
Karen
Update: This may or may not work...

with the slide in, there are two backets on either side of the refrig, and there is a space between the refrig and the wall. When I move the refrig side to side that awful sound is there... if you push the bracket in towards the refrig and hold it there, that awful sound goes away. If you push the little clip in, there is little space between the clip and the clip retaining holder. (dont know if all these terms are correct) anyway, I stuck a little screw driver with the shaft taped in between the clip and the retaining holder. Moved refrig side to side and (no sound) took some foam and stuck between the refrig and the wall as well. Then went for a fuel trip of about 5mi each way.
the sound is gone....however speed was only no more than 40 mph. I will have to wait and see what happens on the big road.

I think that I am on the right track and screw driver is gonna be replaced with a round piece of wood. Everything should be removed before putting the slide out..
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #16
BobbyJ

OK,

We, (FR and) Juniata Valley RV with me in the drivers seat, have identified the problem. It is, as mentioned in other posts, the long axle shaft that runs from the (top) Schwintec motor to the lower gear box. The tech at Juniata Valley RV placed his hand inside the "H" frame to secure the shaft while I drove the MH a little. This stopped the woodpecker noise.

I do not know of the fix yet, but I assume it will be a padding/insulating project to deaden the noise.

If they can't fix it the tech said he would come along with us to all of our outings and hold the shaft while I drive. I agreed, because we know that works, but I am a little worried that he may eat too much. He was a big boy.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #17

I believe I have found the banging in the wall noise. Yes it is the long slide drive shaft, but I believe it is hitting the long self drilling, self tapping screws used to secure the system in the wall. With the slide out I went outside pulled back the seal and could reach in with my fingers and strum the shaft like a guitar string, it produced the exact same banging noise. Inside along the drive shaft I could feel the tips of the screws from inside the coach. They were within a couple millimeters of the shaft. I confirmed this with a bore scope. I have changed to shorter screws and it appears may have a solution. I will know when we hit the road it go to the rally. (Fingers crossed)

Rick
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 07-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #18
BobbyJ

Dear Rick and Karen,

Great detective work. I passed your post on to Mitch Wirt and to our local dealer. I hope this become a eureka moment.

Bob and Linda Jeanmenne
Old 09-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #19

Road trip follow up

Changing the screws was a big improvement, banging noise cured. I can still hear the shaft flexing in the wall. I plan to fabricate a rubber damper to glue on the shaft to reduce that noise. I will pass alone if that works or not.

Rick
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 09-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #20

Keep me posted Karen.

Chris & Carol
2016 Berkshire 38A
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox base plate & tow bar. Air Force one Braking system.
ccupton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise