Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #1

Angry California emissions label

I have a recently purchased 2013 Berkshire 390BH-40 that I bought from a Texas dealership. I bought the motorhome brand new and am now trying to register it in the State of California. My local DMV office wants to see and verify that there is a decal/label on the motorhome that states the exhaust emission is compliant with both federal and California law.

I've looked everywhere on the motorhome and cannot find such a decal/label.

Does anyone know where this decal/label might be located.

According to the clerk at the DMV office if there is no certification label stating the MH is complaint with CA law, then i can not register it in CA.

Sucks to live in CA!!
DannyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #2

Check the cabinets above and left of the drivers seat. If it has to be on the outside, then if it's like mine, it isn't there. Other than the Smart RV decal, I had nothing on mine.

JJ
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #3

I did check the cabinets that you mentioned and found nothing other than the Smart RV decal.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

I thought California was the main reason for the whole DEF system in the first place. It'd be a shame if it wasn't compliant...

That being said, try googling 'how to make my RV California compliant'. I got several hits, one which states there are smog testing stations that can test your vehicle. There was also a provision I saw that I your vehicle is less than 6 yrs old, you might be able to pay an abatement fee and still get registered. Anyway, it's a start. Let us know how this turns out ( not that I plan on moving to CA )
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #5

Update: Freightliner told me to contact Cummins about this issue. Cummins provided me a copy of an Executive Order signed by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) that states the Cummins 2012 6.7 Diesel Engine Family (CCEXH0408BAH) is compliant with CARB emission standards.

However, since I purchased the vehicle in Texas there is no specific decal on my MH that states it is CARB compliant. Cummins recommends I show the letter to the DMV and point to the label on my MH that states my engine is from the above engine family.

If that doesn't work, then I have to get the label installed on my MH. Cummins wants $100 for the label and another $100 for installation. Tell me thats not a complete rip off!

I have not yet gone back to DMV, so more to follow. For those in CA who purchased a new MH out of state be aware of this issue.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #6

Did you contact the dealer? They may be able to get the sticker and install it for less.
Just a thought.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Did you contact the dealer? They may be able to get the sticker and install it for less.
Just a thought.
That would require me to drive the MH back to the Texas dealership. Since I live in California I have ruled that out as a viable option,
Old 09-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
phat phrog stunt crew

what about going to a truck dealer/repair shop that deals with your chassis/engine and see if they wont supply the sticker. they should be able to tell if it is compliant with engine serial number.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote