Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Berkshire club

Carefree Slide topper

Hey all Berkshire owners, have any of you added the Unishield covers to your slideout toppers? They seal your awning when closed. I have them on the main awning but not on the slides dont understand why they didn't come with them hmm? they are the Carefree SOKIII. Dealer (du) said i could get them but didn't have the number. if anyone has, did you get them thru FR? or a dealer? trying to get the part number so i may order them.Carefree wants us to go thru a retailer. here is a pic of the cover over the canvas when closed. thanx
Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshire Driver View Post
Hey all Berkshire owners, have any of you added the Unishield covers to your slideout toppers? They seal your awning when closed. I have them on the main awning but not on the slides dont understand why they didn't come with them hmm? they are the Carefree SOKIII. Dealer (du) said i could get them but didn't have the number. if anyone has, did you get them thru FR? or a dealer? trying to get the part number so i may order them.Carefree wants us to go thru a retailer. here is a pic of the cover over the canvas when closed. thanx

If you are speaking about the main awning, mine came with it already installed. Don't know if was optional as my coach was used.

If you mean the slide toppers (a cover for them when the slides are in) then be careful. I paid $1400 for mine (4 slides), and the tech that did it did NOT rip me off. I know him quite well and he not that kind of tech.

I figured about $500 before I told him to get them. Imagine my sticker shock. I would not buy them again at that price, but the DW says she would.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #3

Berkshire,
I purchased the 4 slide topper covers from Shade Pro in California. I paid $875 for the 4 covers delivered. I think that these are the numbers for the covers but I would double check them with Shade Pro. Their phone number is (619)328-1620 and I spoke with Justin who was very helpful. They are very easy to install- 2 allen-head screws on each end of each of the covers. They are not heavy but you need 2 people to install them because of their length.

BLK UP CASE FOR ZL134
BLK UP CASE FOR ZL144
BLK UP CASE FOR ZL156
BLK UP CASE FOR ZL068

Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Berkshire club

Man that must be Gold under that black plastic holy cow
I'll give them a call that is the same awning you have too right?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Berkshire club

well you know that is cheaper than a new awning canopy ( i think)
Old 07-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #6

The slide topper covers are made of aluminum not plastic. Also, I have a 390bh so the toppers over some of your slides may be different sizes than mine.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #7

Tom
Is Shade Pro an after market cover for the Carefree slide toppers? I need to put a set on my coach so i will look at yours in Goshen. When I talked to Carefree of Colorado they told me each was custom made and I had to go through a dealers. You seemed to have saved a lot of money with your option. See you soon, heading into Canads on Friday
Marty
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #8

I had someone re stitch one of my slide toppers. He made a comment that some one must have removed my covers over my toppers. Go figure. I guess one size fits all, but you have to add the extras.
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #9

Marty,
Not sure if it is an aftermarket part or if they are a reseller for Carefree of Colorado. In any case, they fit perfectly and were very easy to install.
Say hello to Donna and hope the rest of your trip goes well. Not that long before Goshen.
See you there.
Tom

Old 07-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #10

I just talked to Carefree about this for mine, and it was going to be about $1100 for 4 slide topper covers for my 390bh. I decided to just put that on hold. Now I know why FR doesn't include them!

I initially thought they may have just left them off my model, but when I was at the factory a couple weeks ago, I checked out the new ones, and didn't see any with slide topper covers! I sure wish they would just include them!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
chesterhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #11

Would be nice if they did, but even the higher end coaches out there don't have them as standard equipment.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 07-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlebaron View Post
I had someone re stitch one of my slide toppers. He made a comment that some one must have removed my covers over my toppers. Go figure. I guess one size fits all, but you have to add the extras.
The covers are definitely optional. Tom, from the price you paid, I suspect you got the after market ones. I remember my tech telling me that my were custom made (I guess by C of C).

Boowho?? (What I did when he handed me the bill!!!)
Old 07-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #13

Boo,
Was just outside doing a little maintenance on the coach and I decided to get rid of the shipping tube the covers came in that has been in my garage for a while now (it is a very heavy cardboard tube that is about 10" in diameter and 20' long). Anyhow, I looked at the tube and it had the word Carefree printed all around the tube. I then looked at a label that was on the tube and it said 'ship from warehouse'. They were sent by Carefree of Colorado to Shade Pro (the company I purchased them from). So it seems that they are manufactured by C of C and not after market. It also appears that your tech was looking to make a few extra bucks by saying that they were custom made.
Just thought you might want to know.
Tom

Old 07-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #14

Shade Pro is a distributor for CC. The did my awning and side window covers. They are at a lot of the big rally's. Good company.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:23 AM   #15

I also purchased from ShadePro. Paid $820 at the FMCA rally in Perry. Spoke with the fellow running the ShadePro booth and he said ShadePro purchases Carefree's overstock. They fit and look great. Installation was easy.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Boo,
Was just outside doing a little maintenance on the coach and I decided to get rid of the shipping tube the covers came in that has been in my garage for a while now (it is a very heavy cardboard tube that is about 10" in diameter and 20' long). Anyhow, I looked at the tube and it had the word Carefree printed all around the tube. I then looked at a label that was on the tube and it said 'ship from warehouse'. They were sent by Carefree of Colorado to Shade Pro (the company I purchased them from). So it seems that they are manufactured by C of C and not after market. It also appears that your tech was looking to make a few extra bucks by saying that they were custom made.
Just thought you might want to know.

Tom
Knowing this guy, I'd strongly believe he didn't do on purpose. Maybe just a lack of knowledge??

Boowho??

Tags
slide